LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS 460 Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 11:51 AM
reg331
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have read my previous postings on all three issues, would have seen that I did in fact reach out for assistance and how to repair these items.

In the end, a service tech in KS and in FL both told me they are seeing the same complaints from LS 460 owners and there is no remedy at this time.

So, the two postings from mcraney and dr jekyll are without merit and like so many other car forums, it is unfortunate these two who most likely are somehow affiliated with Lexus and are simply trying to protect their interests.

To all others, I appreciate your advice and wish you the best of luck with your LS 460.
Old 04-08-16, 12:00 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by reg331
If you have read my previous postings on all three issues, would have seen that I did in fact reach out for assistance and how to repair these items.

In the end, a service tech in KS and in FL both told me they are seeing the same complaints from LS 460 owners and there is no remedy at this time.

So, the two postings from mcraney and dr jekyll are without merit and like so many other car forums, it is unfortunate these two who most likely are somehow affiliated with Lexus and are simply trying to protect their interests.

To all others, I appreciate your advice and wish you the best of luck with your LS 460.
Thanks for the feedback. I do sometimes feel like I am working for Lexus, but the pay is not very good. By the way, I took your side on this but you seem to have missed it.
Old 04-08-16, 01:00 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I'd have to disagree. First off I have no affiliation with Lexus at all. Secondly, I have read your previous postings, yes, all "ten" of them and I'd hardly call that "participating". Did you take the time to listen to others suggestions? Did you provide feedback or work with those taking the time to try and resolve your issues? I feel that until then you truly haven't benefited for a forum where many like minded individuals share a similar passion. You have ten posts and most of them are negative or to complain.

Lastly you unfairly lumped jmcraney in with this "bad apple".

I wish you well with your next vehicle. I hope it serves you better than your LS460.
Old 04-08-16, 01:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Not really. You've posted this same thread a couple times, each time people have given you feedback and asked you questions, and each time you have failed to respond or post any updates.

For instance in this thread you have been asked several times if you have paint protection film on the mirrors and whether or not your car had the original windshield. You haven't responded to either question.

LOL, jmcraney has contributed more to the LS460 community than easily anybody else. He devised a repair that has solved hundreds of LS460's wind noise issues. There is an ENORMOUS thread on here that outlines exactly how to go about making his repair, and if you took the time to seek that out you would find that the results posted from members are overwhelmingly positive...with his repair completely solving most members issues.

Finding that would require that you set aside your anger and paranoia and put some effort into a solution yourself. The only person who suffers from you not taking action is you. These posts don't hurt Lexus.

To your continued assertions that these members are "Lexus schills" posting here somehow to keep you from spreading the word of your displeasure or somehow trying to keep you from a solution to your problem. That makes as much sense as us saying that you're a plant put here by Mercedes to discredit Lexus and spread their interests. Is that accurate? jmcraney is a moderator, with the power to delete threads and ban members, if his goals were as you said, wouldn't he have deleted this thread and banned you from the forum?

Drove home on the highway today in my LS460 at 80MPH, no wind noise whatsoever. I have a sneaking suspicion if you tried some of the things we've suggested here yours can be just as quiet...

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-08-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 02:17 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I just want to pop in and say hi. I haven't really posted here in a long time and will probably not because the LS has become boring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's dead quiet. When a car gets to this point it becomes so reliable you take it for granted and gravitate to other areas of interest.
No transmission noise ,no wind noise and in general pretty uneventful.

If I had transmission issues like this guy I would feel miserable not just because I have the issue but because I'm the only one without any company to vent my frustrations.
I remember when I had the BMW I didn't have to vent because there were several documented fixes on the issues I was having.
I'm afraid if you are in the minority that has a lemon you will be a pioneer trying to fix issues that nobody has seen before which is probably not a good thing if you are trying to solve your specific problem in a car that is dead reliable for most owners.
Old 04-08-16, 04:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, I haven't read a lot of responses here so I cannot comment on those, but he was just sharing his miserable experience, at least his first post.

I've done similar whines for bad struts on my previous car. I already knew what was wrong and hoping that misery-loves-company, lol. But, I just flat-out asked how common or other people's experiences with versus saying this car sucks! But hey, that's his prerogative. Not sure what we could have done other than to help diagnose and share in his misery (assuming he wanted some sympathy) and maybe if he asked that question is his first post (in addition to his whines), it wouldn't have spiraled to where it is now.

In any case, that's water under the bridge at this point. Good luck!
Old 04-08-16, 06:43 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I just want to pop in and say hi. I haven't really posted here in a long time and will probably not because the LS has become boring. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it and it's dead quiet. When a car gets to this point it becomes so reliable you take it for granted and gravitate to other areas of interest.
No transmission noise ,no wind noise and in general pretty uneventful.

If I had transmission issues like this guy I would feel miserable not just because I have the issue but because I'm the only one without any company to vent my frustrations.
I remember when I had the BMW I didn't have to vent because there were several documented fixes on the issues I was having.
I'm afraid if you are in the minority that has a lemon you will be a pioneer trying to fix issues that nobody has seen before which is probably not a good thing if you are trying to solve your specific problem in a car that is dead reliable for most owners.
Thanks for checking in! I, too, was wondering what had happened to you. The LS460 might be boring (for me, it's not, which I'll describe in a moment), but the people here aren't boring.

Edit: The issues I've had with the car after 11 months from 61.6K miles to 71K miles are:

Problem: Some buttons surrounding the nav screen weren't backlit. It was probably that way when I bought the car. Solution: Replaced the nav system and disk drive. Cost: Covered by CPO. $0.

Problem: Cosmetic. Due to wear and some bubbling, I had the front center console leather cover replaced. The price quoted by the dealer for the part was much higher than an OEM price I found online. Solution: The service manager made his price competitive with the online price and had the repair performed. Cost: About $300, IIRC.

Problem: MIL "ON" DTC P1364/P1365 - Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit Open. Also low idle RPM. Solution: Applied TSB: L-SB-0142-11: http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=172396 Cost: Covered by 96 month/80K miles emission warranty. $0.

Problem: ABS and other warning lights on. Error code indicated abnormal leak in ABS accumulator. Solution: Replaced part. Cost: Covered by CPO. $0.

Problem: The selling dealer hadn't performed the 60K service, even though the vehicle had 61.6K miles when sold. This service includes replacing the spark plugs. Solution: Worked with Lexus Customer Service Rep, who authorized a good will 60K service to replace the spark plugs and perform other 60K service items not done during prior minor services. Cost: $0.

Problem: Last night: The car wouldn't start after a couple of tries with the start button. I couldn't find anything I left on that could have caused the battery to drain. After a few hours of letting the car sit, it started. The nav screen came up with a "system loading: do not turn power off" message. Some of the multifunction displays, such as distance after fueling and mpg after re-fueling were reset to zero. Brought car to Lexus this morning. Bad cell in battery was diagnosed. Solution: replaced non-factory branded battery (Centennial?) with Lexus high capacity battery, like the one used in the cold weather package. Cost $220 before tax. Note: Lexus battery has 7 year warranty. First two years cover parts and labor 100%. The third year and beyond covers just parts and is pro-rated.

Problem: While the battery was replaced, it was discovered that the front shock absorbers are leaking oil. It's not critical, but needs addressing. Solution: Replace shock absorbers when parts come in. Cost: Covered by CPO. $0.

Do some of the above problems make the car unreliable? I don't know. What I do know is that I get a genuine thrill out of driving the car, using its features, and just looking at it. There has been some downtime, including damage from a recent accident, but except for the accident and what turned out to be a complicated nav unit replacement, I've had the car back the same day. The dealer's courtesy cars have been 2015 or 2016 Lexus models, although no GS's or LS460's. it's possible that I'll sell the car when the CPO warranty expires, but we'll see.

I'm overall very satisfied with the service department at my local dealer, Lexus of Marin. They haven't tried to upsell me on anything. (I was the one who insisted on paying $20 extra for the higher capacity battery, for example.) Some will probably think my car has had an excessive number of repairs. I'm not certain of that. After all, the car now has 70K miles. Stuff happens.

Last edited by Gbp; 04-08-16 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 07:50 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
Thanks for checking in! I, too, was wondering what had happened to you. The LS460 might be boring (for me, it's not, which I'll describe in a moment), but the people here aren't boring.
I didn't mean it that way to say boring is a bad thing. For a car like this boring ownership removes you from making your life revolve around the drama of your car. In my opinion that is real luxury.
Old 04-11-16, 04:21 AM
reg331
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Most likely, we are heading for filing a complaint under the FL Lemon Law. Having a previous Lexus was was super quiet we clearly understand this vehicle is just not right.
Old 04-11-16, 08:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Thanks, Most likely, we are heading for filing a complaint under the FL Lemon Law. Having a previous Lexus was was super quiet we clearly understand this vehicle is just not right.
Stil no response to any of our questions or feedback on any of the solutions we've outlined. I don't understand not being willing to even try the repair that is outlined here that has helped so many people.

BTW, Lemon law in FL doesn't apply because its a used car.

Buying a car "as is" disclaims all warranties. You should not expect any legal protection if the car is a "lemon." In Florida, there is no Used Car Lemon Law. If the dealer does not affirmatively disclaim all warranties in writing, you will be covered at least by implied warranties of merchantability (the product will do what it is supposed to do), fitness for a particular purpose (dealer's advice that the car will be suitable for a particular use, such as hauling a trailer), and a good title. If the dealer provides its own written warranty, read the terms carefully to determine what repairs are covered, the extent of coverage (parts, labor, deductibles, exclusions) and the other terms and conditions. The dealer may try to sell you an extended service contract. You should consider the extent to which the same repairs are already covered under the dealer's warranty. The value of a service contract is determined by whether its price is likely to be greater or less than the cost of repairs to the car.
From the FL Attorney General: http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/...4!opendocument