LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lack of 2017 LS Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 09:34 PM
integr8d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Every car manufacturer shares similarity in design and theme across their line; it's in their genetics and automotive DNA. Name one major manufacturer that doesn't. Grills and lights are two features that are really synonymous, everywhere, across most brands.

No idea why this a surprise to you.

I guess if you squint hard enough you can see an LS in that sienna lol. Of course, if you just close both eyes, the clarity would be downright enlightening.
I wasn't aware that I'd given the impression that any of this was news to me. Possibly, the correlations that I drew were (I don't know) whimsical?

But anyway; manufacturers incorporate design elements, across model lines, as a form of branding. Got it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I wonder if the tech for OLED would be approved by a conservative Lexus Design board. The best I can see is LCD/TFT setup at the high end. Unless of course the normal board took the week off when the LS design was being frozen lol
Hadn't really considered that... Good point.
Old 05-29-16, 05:57 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah my first thoughts was a completely new 2017 LS, but based on reports (and what we know now), that doesn't seem likely.

However, that begs the question, what the heck will the 2017 change? I know there were changes between the 2015 and 2016 based on the official press release, but most of these changes were in the way it was built and some technology differences, nothing cosmetic or mechanical.

I think minor iterations between years are natural, but frankly I think the 2017 might look exactly the same.

Edit: on second thought, maybe they'll change the lights and offer the same triple square LEDs found on recent models, including the swoosh moved to the bumper, but body-wise, nothing changes other than further "improvements" as seen between the 2015 and 2016 MY.

Last edited by Rhambler; 05-29-16 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06-04-16, 06:55 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah my first thoughts was a completely new 2017 LS, but based on reports (and what we know now), that doesn't seem likely.

However, that begs the question, what the heck will the 2017 change? I know there were changes between the 2015 and 2016 based on the official press release, but most of these changes were in the way it was built and some technology differences, nothing cosmetic or mechanical.

I think minor iterations between years are natural, but frankly I think the 2017 might look exactly the same.

Edit: on second thought, maybe they'll change the lights and offer the same triple square LEDs found on recent models, including the swoosh moved to the bumper, but body-wise, nothing changes other than further "improvements" as seen between the 2015 and 2016 MY.
I know that SUV sales are unfortunately smashing sedan sales, to the point I wonder how many cars will be left and I understand why the LS is on the back burner.

But I love sedans and the LS is their flagship sedan, 2017 is ready for a brand new LS. The 2016 LS, though beautiful, is frankly old and dated when looking at it next to the entire rest of the 2016 Lexus line in the showroom or it's competition. I see the appeal in a CPO in this car more than any others out there.

I'm anxious for the new LS, and hopeful the SUV craze doesn't crush it. It's been a decade!
Old 07-08-16, 08:54 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Here's another conceptual mockup of the new generation. It seems to have come from a Japanese magazine and shows a big C-Pillar change, making it look more coupe like, A7 like. No idea how legitimate or where exactly the source material came from, but this popped up very recently.

I like it. I love how the A7 looks. Almost got one simply based on looks alone.

http://www.zfn-media.com/watch?v=xvkkleNnYIQ

The biggest difference is the more steeply raked C-pillar, for a more fast-back roofline. This has been a consistent rumour for the next LS. The new door handles appear similar to those on the Tesla Model S, which may end up being reality as well considering Lexus may want to position the fuel cell version to compete with the Model S. There are also some Mirai influences in the lower rear door graphics, which is also entirely possible.

Length seems to be about the same, wheelbase appears marginally longer on the new car. This is supported by the mule images, note the extensions made to the rockers at the base of the car, (though this is a mule of the LWB version of the car versus the SWB version in the VIDEO ).
Tags: 2018 Lexus LS,

Last edited by Rhambler; 07-08-16 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-26-16, 06:02 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, appreciate the insight.

I'm really curious about the engine now. Could it be an all new V8 turbo? That would be surprising. Maybe a 4 liter or 4.3 liter V8 turbo pushing out 440-450 HP?

I know engine development can be more secretive than an overall car, but I personally don't think that will happen just based on past precedent and how Lexus lines up their engines across the family, so to speak, but again, the past doesn't always point to the future, so who knows?

This engine could be introduced in the LS as all-new and it (or derivations of it) making its way into other models and the 5 liter NA retiring.

The only other caveat is what will they call the LS? The numbers have always matched the displacement, although I know BMW and MB have strayed from that, so they could still technically call it LS 500 even if it has a smaller displacement V8t, if nothing else to maintain the same level of numbers (i.e., '5') versus the "S550" and "750i." While it means nothing really, I'm sure there's some number jockeying going on in the model designation (number envy lol).

The other benefit of turboing (even though I think they're crap for long-term reliability) is that the true "F" could have higher output with the same relative displaced engine/core, but with more workings in pressurization, turbos, fuel, air, etc. More bang for relatively little extra bucks.

In any case, I still think the first LS500 really will have the 5 liter NA with the turbo, assuming that was even a turbo that was heard, a smaller displacement engine (6 cylinder), meaning the likelihood of two LS' seems high if what I said is true. Or even three if they hybridize it, although bless your soul if you buy such an expensive beast unless you plan on unloading it soon.

LS 500 (5 liter NA) @ 467 HP (my guess)
LS 500 (all new 4.0 to 4.3 liter turbo) @ 450 HP (anyone's guess)
LS 400 (all new 3 liter V6 or inline-6 turbo) @ 330-350 HP (my guess)

Exciting. We shall wait and see.

Yeah, I just quoted myself. I know a cardinal sin, but there is a post here and elsewhere about Toyota developing a V6T. I think that's entirely feasible and makes perfect sense. I also think it will be in the new LS as well, just not sure about the crazy 400 HP, although that figure could be for a performance model of that engine and a more tame 330-350 for everything else.

Now the biggest question, will it get released in 2018?

My gigantic, all speculative roadmap guess:
2018 LS500 with 5 L V8 NA 467 HP (I'm fairly certain this will be in there).
2018 LS400 with all-new 3 L V6 T 350 HP (higher likelihood now that there's talk they are developing one).

2021-2022 LS550 with all-new 4.2 L T 460-470 HP (I honestly think they'll try and make it more than the already sky-high 5 liter output just because it would seem weird to go backwards in HP. That 5 liter really is an amazing engine, but will get retired when this gets released). Audi's 4 L V8 kicks out 450 HP as a reference. This engine is found in the S6, S7 and A8.
2022-2023 LS450 with ??? Maybe a slight bump in HP, same engine.