LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Change in Backup Camera Angle

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 12:23 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
Question Change in Backup Camera Angle

I just noticed today that my backup camera now shows part of the rear bumper and perhaps some of the chrome. There's also a strange, small, somewhat circular thing in the upper right corner of the screen. With my Matador Red exterior, I'm sure I would have noticed it before today on the backup camera.

Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks for any insight! I've attached a picture...
Attached Thumbnails Change in Backup Camera Angle-image.jpeg  
Old 03-11-16, 01:53 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Your camera may have simply moved. While I'm not exactly sure how the cameras are attached to our cars as I haven't looked very closely, the most plausible explanation is that it just moved.

You try gently moving it? If it came loose, see how it is attached. If it's permanently fixed, it may have just loosened, either the housing or the camera within the housing. I'm sure there are brute-force fixes by just manually manipulating it back into place (with the assistance of someone else viewing the camera while you gently try and nudge it).

Since it's one of those wide angle fisheye type lenses, it wouldn't take much to throw the image off so it could be a matter of millimeters. Now the trick, assuming you can put it back, is why it moved to begin with and how you can prevent from moving again.

Lol, I'm just speculating, but seems totally plausible to me.
Old 03-11-16, 08:56 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

It's definitely moved. How it moved is a good question. Hopefully you can adjust the camera and out it back. Curious to see how this unfolds.
Old 03-11-16, 09:22 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Take a look at this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...test-mode.html

It has links to a service menu where you can adjust the lens. Don't know if it'll work with the LS however.
Old 03-12-16, 02:55 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrutator
Take a look at this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...test-mode.html

It has links to a service menu where you can adjust the lens. Don't know if it'll work with the LS however.
I've also heard about this in another thread too. If you can't access the service menu at least you know there's a solution at the dealer.
Old 03-12-16, 03:58 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Your camera may have simply moved. While I'm not exactly sure how the cameras are attached to our cars as I haven't looked very closely, the most plausible explanation is that it just moved.

You try gently moving it? If it came loose, see how it is attached. If it's permanently fixed, it may have just loosened, either the housing or the camera within the housing. I'm sure there are brute-force fixes by just manually manipulating it back into place (with the assistance of someone else viewing the camera while you gently try and nudge it).

Since it's one of those wide angle fisheye type lenses, it wouldn't take much to throw the image off so it could be a matter of millimeters. Now the trick, assuming you can put it back, is why it moved to begin with and how you can prevent from moving again.

Lol, I'm just speculating, but seems totally plausible to me.
The piece that holds the fisheye lens seems fixed in place.

Originally Posted by R Z
It's definitely moved. How it moved is a good question. Hopefully you can adjust the camera and out it back. Curious to see how this unfolds.
Thanks for confirming that the view isn't normal!

Thanks for the links! I've read them. There's even a video reference to the menu that is supposed to work on the 2010-2012 LS460 models. I'll see if that works. It might not answer the question of why the viewing angle changed, though, and if there's some underlying problem that caused the change.

I had read the thread, thanks. I hope that Stereorob provides some details directly or that perhaps another CL member discovers those details -- independently, of course.
Old 03-13-16, 10:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Your camera angle looks the same as mine. I actually like how it is, since I can see how close something is to my bumper.
Old 03-13-16, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I also can see the bumper in mine the same way. Mine is a little more centered but its a refresh model and the camera was probably moved.

The circular thing in the corner looks like a water droplet to me.
Old 03-13-16, 07:53 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Your camera angle looks the same as mine. I actually like how it is, since I can see how close something is to my bumper.
I might wait a bit to see how I like it and whether the camera angle remains steady or changes again.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I also can see the bumper in mine the same way. Mine is a little more centered but its a refresh model and the camera was probably moved.

The circular thing in the corner looks like a water droplet to me.
Good eye! I think it was a water droplet.

In other news, with the help of some other threads, I accessed the service and diagnostic menus for my car. Unfortunately, the camera option was grayed-out, and I wasn't able to figure out how to activate it. I'll start a separate thread, in case it would help anyone with 2010 - 2012 MY's. This might just work on Generation 6 navigation, but that's a guess.

Thanks for everyone's input!