LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any way to have a 'modern' navigation touch screen in a 2011 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-16, 08:42 PM
BlackReef
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any way to have a 'modern' navigation touch screen in a 2011 LS460?

Just curious if there are any options like Apple Car play to replace the rather dated looking touch screen navigation screen in the 2011 LS460? I would like to replace the unit altogether. The pixel resolution, interface, etc is so dated at this point. But it looks like the climate control, etc is all handled through this touch screen.

Do I have any options?

Thanks!
Joe
Old 05-09-23, 10:20 AM
Gatech10
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation

I had a carplay system installed on my LS60 by Vline. It works great, better than original equipment
Old 05-09-23, 10:28 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

There was a recent thread about Vline is the best option. Several members installed it and are happy with it's performance.

Last edited by swfla; 05-09-23 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-09-23, 01:59 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

You could look into something like this:
Old 05-09-23, 03:30 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatech10
I had a carplay system installed on my LS60 by Vline. It works great, better than original equipment
I am also in the same loop but I am reading reviews about GROM not connecting 20% of time in yt. I am even thinking to get an independent headunit for android auto that sits on dash instead. Thoughts?
Old 05-09-23, 03:34 PM
Sherl
Advanced

also if any brave souls want to take up a challenge, here is one in aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805157469772.html

Since the factory touch screen is not multipoint, you cant use pinch and zoom as things work on tablet/phone.
Old 05-16-23, 06:52 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

So I just got back from a work trip to Singapore by way of Hong Kong. I took a slight detour on my way home and I think I have something kind of exciting to share with you all. Check this out:

This will fit 2007-2012 models with nav and updates the display to look more like the 2013+ models (similar to many new vehicles where the center screen rises out of the dash).

Android 12
6GB or 8GB RAM (need to clarify)
128GB Storage
8 Core CPU
Pre-Amp Output
DSP

The company that manufactures these head units is in the process of finalizing their manufacturing process but I know price will be $1,599. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to share a product link when they become available.

Last edited by cryptodonis; 05-16-23 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 07:04 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by cryptodoni
So I just got back from a work trip to Singapore by way of Hong Kong. I took a slight detour on my way home and I think I have something kind of exciting to share with you all. Check this out:

This will fit 2007-2012 models with nav and updates the display to look more like the 2013+ models (similar to many new vehicles where the center screen rises out of the dash).

Android 12
6GB or 8GB RAM (need to clarify)
128GB Storage
8 Core CPU
Pre-Amp Output
DSP

Price is $1,599.00 per unit but I think I could negotiate a discount for CL members or even a group buy if there is enough interest. I will have a unit in hand within the next couple of weeks and will document the installation process. I was very impressed with how well made these are. They look clean and functionality was very fluid and smooth.

You have something of equivalent here
https://4x4shop.ca/product/lexus-nx-...sb-multimedia/

Not same but they look similar?
Old 05-16-23, 07:06 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Also I was looking at AliExpress and almost all similar floating screens are at 300$ for similar size and specs. I considering that route instead of Grom as
1) pricing is outrageous and lot of reviews complain about being buggy. 2GB RAM isn't anything
2) touch isn't multi point.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Sherl; 05-16-23 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-16-23, 07:23 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Based on this forum posts, some Chinese electronic products don't work as advertised on all vehicles. If you believe this to be true, consider going to a local installer who offers this type of product. This way, if it doesn't work as promised, you have recourse. I believe Best Buy is a national chain who would stand behind their products and installation.
Old 05-16-23, 07:39 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Originally Posted by swfla
Based on this forum posts, some Chinese electronic products don't work as advertised on all vehicles. If you believe this to be true, consider going to a local installer who offers this type of product. This way, if it doesn't work as promised, you have recourse. I believe Best Buy is a national chain who would stand behind their products and installation.

You must think like that but nope not even crutch field has any Android auto unit available for Lexus LS 07-17
Old 05-16-23, 10:39 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sherl
You have something of equivalent here
https://4x4shop.ca/product/lexus-nx-...sb-multimedia/

Not same but they look similar?

I could be wrong but I believe these are meant more as a replacement for equivalent factory displays without any additional functionality. I agree though that the displays do look somewhat similar. IIRC the display in the unit I shared above is around 12-13in which I think is around the size of the displays on the 13+ 460s.
Old 05-16-23, 10:43 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Also I was looking at AliExpress and almost all similar floating screens are at 300$ for similar size and specs. I considering that route instead of Grom as
1) pricing is outrageous and lot of reviews complain about being buggy. 2GB RAM isn't anything
2) touch isn't multi point.

Thoughts?
​​​​​​

​​​​​I was super excited for the Grom system when I first got my LS but decided against it when I saw the specs. All Android head units are woefully underpowered (in my opinion) but the Vline is definitely lacking in processing power and memory. It's unfortunate because their software and interface are definitely far superior to anything on Alibaba. That was one thing that impressed me about this new one. It is far better than the interfaces of those "Tesla style" systems.
Old 05-16-23, 10:51 PM
cryptodonis
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by swfla
You must think like that but nope not even crutch field has any Android auto unit available for Lexus LS 07-17

That's the point I think swfla was trying to make. If reputable professional installers don't carry any of those products there's likely a good reason.

I think with the quality and feature set of the factory ML system with navigation, while definitely outdated at this point, those of us who want for upgraded features and technology probably represent a small niche compared to the R&D and manufacturing costs to bring solutions to market. Add to that the difficulty involved when integrating with Logic7? (I think that's the name of Harmon's DSP tech) systems.

The manufacturer of the unit I ordered did indicate that they'll be open to suggestions at least when it comes to software improvements, etc.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (05-17-23)
Old 05-17-23, 06:42 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 392 Posts

Chinesium + Lexus = fail
The following users liked this post:
swfla (05-17-23)

Quick Reply: Any way to have a 'modern' navigation touch screen in a 2011 LS460?