LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

When buying a used Lexus, ALWAYS check engine codes - My Story

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 07:26 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer employees represent their dealership and if they act the way that you describe then it does reflect on the dealer. There is absolutely no reason to hide the identity of either in this case. If the dealer cares enough enough their potential customers and reputation, they will devote 10 minutes and make an appearance here to explain the occurrence. Keeping the dealer/employee name secret only protects the crooked and puts more fellow Lexus enthusiasts at risk.
Old 03-08-16, 07:39 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ascari,

While you certainly make a good point about the "noble cause", given the type of work I do (practice law, essentially) I cannot have my name dragged through the mud.

Like someone else just commented, NYC and North Jersey auto dealers have a certain reputation... they're absolutely NOT the type of people you'd want to mess with... official Lexus dealer or not... "people are people".

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Dealer employees represent their dealership and if they act the way that you describe then it does reflect on the dealer. There is absolutely no reason to hide the identity of either in this case. If the dealer cares enough enough their potential customers and reputation, they will devote 10 minutes and make an appearance here to explain the occurrence. Keeping the dealer/employee name secret only protects the crooked and puts more fellow Lexus enthusiasts at risk.
Old 03-08-16, 07:46 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

No dealer in their right mind is going to get into a pissing match on the internet. Even if they are right they will never win. Keyboard cowboys will have a field day trashing them.
Old 03-08-16, 10:58 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Sometime the professionals can act so unprofessional and I would expect more from a Lexus dealership. Shame on this one.
Old 03-08-16, 11:28 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

This is an excellent tip. Thank you for sharing.

Separately...

Irrespective of any nuances as to whether you should or should have not plugged anything into the OBD II port (acknowledging it's a passive device, however...), it is evident that (1) this dealership, whether collectively or through the action of a small number of employees, was willfully turning off the warnings, not inspecting the vehicle and telling you a story with the intention to mislead you (and other prospective buyers), and that (2) the ethically-challenged (also apparently lacking in basic professionalism and manners) salesman you dealt with reacted so belligerently because he was caught in the act.

While I respect your individual decision to not reveal the name of the dealership (they surely sound like a NY dealership I visited a couple years ago), I personally disagree wholeheartedly. I believe that keeping the names of businesses that operate this way only (effectively/tacitly) forgives/condones this behavior, enabling them to continue with their tactics.

I realize that bad eggs do not change overnight, so negative reviews of this sort may arguably have a limited effect initially, but I have a very hard time letting unscrupulous folks like this carry on without consequence. This being a company affiliated with Lexus only ups the ante, in my mind.

Thus, I utilize sites like dealerrater.com as needed (not just for situations like this, but most certainly also to deliver positive feedback where warranted). "Reporting" them to Corporate is something I would also consider, but the reality is that the degree to which Lexus (and other manufacturers) looks the other way under the premise that dealers are independently owned (even though they can damage brand image) dilutes the value of this option. Hence, my preference to share with other caring owners/potential customers.

Last edited by caha14; 03-08-16 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 04:56 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

+1 agreed
Originally Posted by caha14
This is an excellent point. Thank you for sharing.

Separately...

Irrespective of any nuances as to whether you should or should have not plugged anything into the OBD II port (acknowledging it's a passive device, however...), it is evident that (1) this dealership, whether collectively or through the action of a small number of employees, was willfully turning off the warnings, not inspecting the vehicle and telling you a story with the intention to mislead you (and other prospective buyers), and that (2) the ethically-challenged (also apparently lacking in basic professionalism and manners) salesman you dealt with reacted so belligerently because he was caught in the act.

While I respect your individual decision to not reveal the name of the dealership (they surely sound like a NY dealership I visited a couple years ago), I personally disagree wholeheartedly. I believe that keeping the names of businesses that operate this way only (effectively/tacitly) forgives/condones this behavior, enabling them to continue with their tactics.

I realize that bad eggs do not change overnight, so negative reviews of this sort may arguably have a limited effect initially, but I have a very hard time letting unscrupulous folks like this carry on without consequence. This being a company affiliated with Lexus only ups the ante, in my mind.

Thus, I utilize sites like dealerrater.com as needed (not just for situations like this, but most certainly also to deliver positive feedback where warranted). "Reporting" them to Corporate is something I would also consider, but the reality is that the degree to which Lexus (and other manufacturers) looks the other way under the premise that dealers are independently owned (even though they can damage brand image) dilutes the value of this option. Hence, my preference to share with other caring owners/potential customers.
Old 03-08-16, 07:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Ok....first of all, when most people buy a car, they will often take the vehicle to a garage and have an inspection done before purchasing. Guess what? That means they're going to plug in an OBD reader as part of the inspection. As far as "picking your battles"? This is one I WOULD pick. Being intimidated by a bunch of CAR SALESMEN wearing bad jewellery, cheap suits and ill-fitting hair pieces??? I don't think so. You should report this to corporate AND to us, who this dealer is. As stated already, this isn't slander....your telling the story as it happened.

That said, perhaps there's more to the story....there often is.

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-08-16 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 08:49 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i say name and shame em, if of course its within legal reason.
Old 03-09-16, 10:25 AM
jasone36
Instructor

This has certainly been a great discussion, thanks to everyone who chimed in.

From my perspective, here's the bottom line:

Imagine that known (and confirmed) crook has a full dossier on you... your name, your driver's license, your social security number, your work address, your position at work, your annual compensation, your bank account number (via a copy of a check, stupid me...), your credit card number, the name and social security number of your significant-other (for co-borrower purposes), your significant other's employment information... basically a snapshot of your ENTIRE life...

...stopping just short of a DNA sample...

Now imagine you work in a field where, essentially, your "good name" is your paycheck...

...how many folks would risk all that highly personal and confidential information being "leaked anonymously" just to get some super-sleazy Lexus "sales executive" a slap on the wrist by his supervisor?

You have to assume the Sales Manager will play "innocent" and "remorseful"... but of course it's common knowledge that used car "dealership managers" are often "willfully neglectful" and "purposely oblivious" to the kind of "less-than-ethical" sales tactics his salesmen are engaging in... at the end of the day, they're there to sell cars, not handle disgruntled non-customers who didn't go through with the purchase in the first place...

I think this helps put the situation into perspective.

Last edited by jasone36; 03-09-16 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mkarimi (04-11-21)
Old 03-10-16, 07:11 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

While not all Used Car Salesmen are crooks, as with every walk in life, some are. I still contend, the place I got my LS tried to hide facts from me. I called them on it and they immediately offered money. I took the deal, got the car fixed and all is good. Buying a used anything is a risk. Some risks are worth taking.
Old 03-10-16, 12:32 PM
jasone36
Instructor

R. Z.,

I think you mentioned your story previously on the forum... but can you remind us briefly about what happened with your LS purchase?

Originally Posted by R Z
While not all Used Car Salesmen are crooks, as with every walk in life, some are. I still contend, the place I got my LS tried to hide facts from me. I called them on it and they immediately offered money. I took the deal, got the car fixed and all is good. Buying a used anything is a risk. Some risks are worth taking.
Old 03-12-16, 09:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
This has certainly been a great discussion, thanks to everyone who chimed in.

From my perspective, here's the bottom line:

Imagine that known (and confirmed) crook has a full dossier on you... your name, your driver's license, your social security number, your work address, your position at work, your annual compensation, your bank account number (via a copy of a check, stupid me...), your credit card number, the name and social security number of your significant-other (for co-borrower purposes), your significant other's employment information... basically a snapshot of your ENTIRE life...

...stopping just short of a DNA sample...

Now imagine you work in a field where, essentially, your "good name" is your paycheck...

...how many folks would risk all that highly personal and confidential information being "leaked anonymously" just to get some super-sleazy Lexus "sales executive" a slap on the wrist by his supervisor?

You have to assume the Sales Manager will play "innocent" and "remorseful"... but of course it's common knowledge that used car "dealership managers" are often "willfully neglectful" and "purposely oblivious" to the kind of "less-than-ethical" sales tactics his salesmen are engaging in... at the end of the day, they're there to sell cars, not handle disgruntled non-customers who didn't go through with the purchase in the first place...

I think this helps put the situation into perspective.
You have to do what's comfortable for you. I'm just not wired that way. This behavior by the dealer is just enabling them to continue their antics on someone else.. Bully's must be dealt with, that's one of the reasons I got involved in law enforcement. You mention "DNA".....my DNA is to deal with these types of behaviors and stand up to them. Again, that's me....YOU have to do what is comfortable for your situation.
Old 04-01-16, 06:55 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
Rhambler, thanks for the screenshot, but I couldn't find this menu on my 2013 LS460.

Maybe this is something they added to the later software (I see you have a 2016 model).
I agree. I have this menu on my 2014 LS460 but not the button for Vehicle Alert History.
Old 04-01-16, 01:16 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 877 Likes on 661 Posts

Any reputable dealer will let you take a U/C for an inspection by
your mechanic (provided he/she isn't 90 miles away!) During
such an inspection it might very well get a Tech Stream plugged
in, raised on a lift etc. Way out of line shady experience, thanks
for sharing with us.
Old 02-14-18, 07:18 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

I would rather deal with a private seller.I can size up a person pretty darn quick at their home.At a pretty dealership you put on a suit and you have no idea who you are dealing with.

To me,I dont buy the car,I buy the seller.Car must appear good,seller better be Mr Upright,meaning successful,clean,clearly good income,good house,speaks the Queens English and not Eff this every third word or it isnt happening.I made dealer mistake on a new Jetta,should have bought a year old from a private seller or bank repo.Dealer was shady as all get out.

Old car parts,I’ll deal with Charlie Manson if its what I need and price is right.

Yup,Im very judgemental,sorry,i cant afford to be otherwise.

Last edited by spuds; 02-14-18 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: When buying a used Lexus, ALWAYS check engine codes - My Story