LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Should I Get A Windshield Visor Tint Strip?
Yes, get a windshield visor tint strip, which will go on top of the one already on the LS.
41.67%
No, do not get a windshield visor tint strip, since the LS already has one from the factory!
58.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Should I Get A Windshield Visor Tint Strip?

Old 03-01-16, 01:25 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Poll: Should I Get A Windshield Visor Tint Strip?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are...

My concern is whether or not the rain sensors and such at the top of the windshield would be affected.

Last edited by jasone36; 03-01-16 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-01-16, 01:29 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I think so.
I would have done this already but when I purchased mine, the guy who had my LS before me had the windshield tinted already, and Im not sure how well the paper would adhere to another sheet of tint verses a glass window.
But if you'd like a darker, sleeker look with the added benefit of light emission into the car, I'd say go for it.
Old 03-01-16, 01:33 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are...
I posted on the other thread my thoughts on having this done on my car. It makes the already small winshied look smaller, however, it's definitely functional, and also looks sharp from the outside. I have 5% limo tint on the visor BTW

The ONLY reason I tinted the visor, was because it was FREE! The installer requested me to post a Yelp review if I was happy w/ the end result, and offered a free window visor tint. Can't beat "Free .99!!!"

I'll take pictures from the drivers seat, and from the outside when I get home.
Old 03-01-16, 01:42 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
I posted on the other thread my thoughts on having this done on my car. It makes the already small winshied look smaller, however, it's definitely functional, and also looks sharp from the outside. I have 5% limo tint on the visor BTW

The ONLY reason I tinted the visor, was because it was FREE! The installer requested me to post a Yelp review if I was happy w/ the end result, and offered a free window visor tint. Can't beat "Free .99!!!"

I'll take pictures from the drivers seat, and from the outside when I get home.
XF:
As I stated above, I my windshield is already tinted.
Would you happen to know if I could have someone apply the visor strip over the current tint or would I have to have the current paper removed and redone with a visor tint?
Also, I know you've stated that it makes the window seem smaller, but it also seems as though you enjoy the benefit.
If you had it to do over, would you?
Old 03-01-16, 02:01 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
XF:
As I stated above, I my windshield is already tinted.
Would you happen to know if I could have someone apply the visor strip over the current tint or would I have to have the current paper removed and redone with a visor tint?
Also, I know you've stated that it makes the window seem smaller, but it also seems as though you enjoy the benefit.
If you had it to do over, would you?

I wouldn't see why they couldn't put a strip of tint over an existing tint.

On my previous car, the first tint I had was too light (was supposed to be 35%, but it was more like 50%), so I took it to a different shop and had them redo it. They took the tint off all the door windows, but quoted me a much higher price to remove the rear because of all the labor that was involved. I opted to have them put a new sheet of tint over the existing. Aside from the tint obviously being darker, there was no way to tell there was 2 layers of tint on. I had the rear "double" tinted for nearly 7 years before I sold car earlier this year.

Ok, I got used to the "visible" portion of the windshield, so it doesn't bother me anymore. Lets put it like this...I have extreme OCD, and did several tests with the naked eye (no sunglasses) looking through the visor into the sun, and looking through the un-tinted windshield. When looking through the visor into direct sunlight, the effectiveness of the tint is like having a pair of sunglasses on.

To answer your question: because I'm used to it, and know it has functional benefits, yes I would do it again. I'm actually considering it on my RX.

My apologies for being long winded, I just like to add every detail!

Cheers!
Old 03-01-16, 02:13 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
I wouldn't see why they couldn't put a strip of tint over an existing tint.

On my previous car, the first tint I had was too light (was supposed to be 35%, but it was more like 50%), so I took it to a different shop and had them redo it. They took the tint off all the door windows, but quoted me a much higher price to remove the rear because of all the labor that was involved. I opted to have them put a new sheet of tint over the existing. Aside from the tint obviously being darker, there was no way to tell there was 2 layers of tint on. I had the rear "double" tinted for nearly 7 years before I sold car earlier this year.

Ok, I got used to the "visible" portion of the windshield, so it doesn't bother me anymore. Lets put it like this...I have extreme OCD, and did several tests with the naked eye (no sunglasses) looking through the visor into the sun, and looking through the un-tinted windshield. When looking through the visor into direct sunlight, the effectiveness of the tint is like having a pair of sunglasses on.

To answer your question: because I'm used to it, and know it has functional benefits, yes I would do it again. I'm actually considering it on my RX.

My apologies for being long winded, I just like to add every detail!

Cheers!
I absolutely respect and appreciate you time and effort for putting together a well detailed response, as it assist me in making a more informed decision.
I'm a bit OCD myself, but especially when it come to the LS and I believe I too would scrutinize everything.
I'm glad to hear that you'd opt to do it again and your response helped me a good deal.
Thanks again!
Old 03-01-16, 04:58 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I absolutely respect and appreciate you time and effort for putting together a well detailed response, as it assist me in making a more informed decision.
I'm a bit OCD myself, but especially when it come to the LS and I believe I too would scrutinize everything.
I'm glad to hear that you'd opt to do it again and your response helped me a good deal.
Thanks again!
Anytime! It's good to know that someone got value from my response.
Old 03-01-16, 05:01 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

5% limo tint visor

View from drivers seat.

LMK if you want pics when car is outside. I can get them tomorrow.
Old 03-01-16, 05:04 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Actually, I found these.
Old 03-01-16, 06:26 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks a bit cloying. But if it works...
Old 03-01-16, 06:45 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the additional photos XF40.
From looking at the photos, it looks pretty OEM to me.
The contrast of the white exterior and black interior and wheels, I think it's quite fitting.
Old 03-01-16, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I personally don't like the look of aftermarket tint strips.
Old 03-02-16, 06:11 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you very much for all the feedback everyone, and for the detailed picture XF40FSPORT.

After much thought and deliberation, I have decided against tinting the windshield strip.

Part of the decision was due to the fact that the top of the windshield has various sensors on my LS460, and even if the tint doesn't touch them, I'm a bit OCD and decided I don't want the tint installer even "messing" (working) in that area of the car. Even if nothing goes wrong initially, I'll always be worried about it.

That being said, I think it actually looks great! Especially on a white car! (Mine is black...)

Unfortunately, it's just not for me.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-02-16, 07:52 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you very much for all the feedback everyone, and for the detailed picture XF40FSPORT.

After much thought and deliberation, I have decided against tinting the windshield strip.

Part of the decision was due to the fact that the top of the windshield has various sensors on my LS460, and even if the tint doesn't touch them, I'm a bit OCD and decided I don't want the tint installer even "messing" (working) in that area of the car. Even if nothing goes wrong initially, I'll always be worried about it.

That being said, I think it actually looks great! Especially on a white car! (Mine is black...)

Thanks again everyone!
You brought up a good point that that accentuated something I said previously, but I also took it into more depth regarding my car and its color.
I think it look great on his, largely in part because it is such a stark contrast.
However, on mine, with my exterior color being BSP, perhaps it would make the car appear to 'dark'.
Still looks great in my opinion XF40.
Old 03-02-16, 09:41 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Thanks again everyone!
That's what the black pattern around the rear view mirror is for. Are these sensors to detect rain?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poll: Should I Get A Windshield Visor Tint Strip?