LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I was going for take-out for my family, and....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 08:34 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
Default I was going for take-out for my family, and....

...a driver apparently ran a red light, crashing into one vehicle that hit another that hit me. No one hurt (fortunately), but airbags deployed on all vehicles except mine, whose damage was much less than on the other cars. Most of the kinetic energy was absorbed by the cars before mine. My car was the only drivable one after the accident, at least enough to get it off the road and ready for towing to a body shop.

The police and fire department (the latter were there to check for injuries) were great. My insurance company and I are awaiting the police report.

I was very lucky also because of where my car was hit: mostly the front drivers side panel and just part of the drivers door. The force of the impact knocked off the stereo system's power/volume button. No other obvious interior damage. The hood appears to be unaffected and the engine department OK. The body shop will check for any damage, including to the frame.

I've naturally told my insurance company that I'm going have a complete inspection done after the body work and that I'll report any mechanical issues to them, including the possible need for an alignment. Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Get well wishes for the car gratefully accepted!

So far, the front panel, driver door, front bumper, and some trim around the door need replacing, as well as the driver's side front wheel, whose chrome was all scratched up. The accident actually happened a couple of weeks ago, but I'm reporting it now, due to other crises that week and beyond that took priority. A little over $7K in damage. It looks like my car will be ready to leave the hospital by the beginning of next week. Thank goodness.

I've had a 2015 Camry SE (the best sedan available from my local Hertz rental's slim offerings), but it's no 2010 Lexus LS460. I have to remember to use the car key -- a lot. Unlocking/locking doors, starting the car -- come on! Setting/releasing the parking brake, turning on/off the headlights are other tasks I have to remember to perform.

I called my wife that need to tell her I was in an accident, everyone was OK, and that she had to deal with dinner.
Attached Thumbnails I was going for take-out for my family, and....-image.jpeg  
Old 02-25-16, 09:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Glad you are ok! Make sure they check the front suspension and especially the wheel bearing on that front wheel where the impact was... Looks like it hit some on that wheel
Old 02-25-16, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

so sorry to see that, but glad that you are ok, that's always the most important
Old 02-25-16, 09:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Glad you're okay, and here's hoping everything works out okay with the repair.
Old 02-25-16, 09:39 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 332 Posts

It looks like you need a new wheel also.
Old 02-25-16, 10:15 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Glad you all are ok. I Love that color and the chrome wheels. You haven't had that 460 a year and this happen. I can only imagine how you must feel.

Last edited by dlbuckls10; 02-25-16 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-26-16, 01:11 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is great that the car will be back home soon. I got rear ended and it took the shop over two months and still did not got everything done
Old 02-26-16, 06:11 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, very sorry to hear that. I'm sure you will be back up and running soon. Maybe this is good time to get new wheels! Tell them you want four new wheels since one new one might look mismatched lol. Doesn't hurt to ask, barter, negotiate, then order brand new wheels from Lexus!

I would also claim diminished value through your insurance or the party that is at fault. Never know what will show up on carfax, but better to be safe than sorry.
Old 02-26-16, 07:15 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Man oh man that's horrible, but glad everyone is ok. I know you'll have a complete inspection and I'd have it done front to back side to side.
Old 02-26-16, 07:37 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Glad you are ok! Make sure they check the front suspension and especially the wheel bearing on that front wheel where the impact was... Looks like it hit some on that wheel
Thanks for the ideas! I had told the body shop about checking the suspension, but didn't think about the wheel bearing. Thanks to you, I now know what a wheel bearing is!

http://hubpages.com/autos/What-is-a-wheel-bearing
Old 02-26-16, 08:10 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
so sorry to see that, but glad that you are ok, that's always the most important
Exactly! My main emotions at the time were surprise (I was in the outer left turn lane, preparing to make the turn on the green light, when the next thing I knew was that the car in the inner left turn lane collided with my car), concern about the guy in the car next to me (after making sure I was OK), and fear the police would give me a bad time because my registration had expired the week before (I had been *meaning* to get off my duff and find the freaking bill!).

Of course, I was worried about the extent of damage to the car. The accident happened at night, so it was obviously harder to see the details.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Sorry to hear that. Glad you're okay, and here's hoping everything works out okay with the repair.
Thanks. I hope so, too. The body shop has an office at my local Lexus dealership and seem to know what they're doing.

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
It looks like you need a new wheel also.
Yes, that's right. The body shop said they wanted to replace the wheel rather than trying to re-chrome it.

The body shop also persuaded my insurer to pay Lexus for the radio **** replacement. I had previously been told by a insurance CSR that the replacement of the **** was limited to either using some weird $10 "appearance" benefit of my policy or using my insurer's own preferred provider (I guess to save on labor costs). I had told my insurance company rep that was unacceptable, and was told they'd look into an exception. So, kudos to the body shop and the more sensible claims adjuster.
Old 02-26-16, 08:27 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Glad you all are ok. I Love that color and the chrome wheels. You haven't had that 460 a year and this happen. I can only imagine how you must feel.
I was feeling somewhat sorry for myself, but that was more than balanced by relief that had the car been hit elsewhere, the damage to the car could have been much greater and I might not have escaped injury.

Yes, my appreciation of the Matador Red Color/chromed wheel combination has only grown over the months. The same goes for the LS460 features.
Originally Posted by VQT
That is great that the car will be back home soon. I got rear ended and it took the shop over two months and still did not got everything done
Very sorry to hear that; I hope everything has been resolved so that your car is in pre-accident shape if not better,

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Wow, very sorry to hear that. I'm sure you will be back up and running soon. Maybe this is good time to get new wheels! Tell them you want four new wheels since one new one might look mismatched lol. Doesn't hurt to ask, barter, negotiate, then order brand new wheels from Lexus!

I would also claim diminished value through your insurance or the party that is at fault. Never know what will show up on carfax, but better to be safe than sorry.
I'm not brazen enough to push for 4 new wheels, but I'll look into the diminished value aspect, which I'm pretty ignorant about. Thanks!
Old 02-26-16, 08:29 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R Z
Man oh man that's horrible, but glad everyone is ok. I know you'll have a complete inspection and I'd have it done front to back side to side.
I'll definitely do the complete inspection. Thanks!
Old 02-26-16, 08:35 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I sincerely hate to hear about this occurrence, and as others have said, Im glad you seem to be ok without any physical ailments.
Judging from the photos, I would absolutely make sure a thorough inspection is performed on the suspension, namely the UC/LCA's, wheel bearing inner/outer tie rods and suspension tower.
After recently dealing with the replacement of my UCA's and now being rather familiar with the build of the front suspension elements, I can say that though very well made, it also seems as if tolerances are very strict to enable the car to operate as smoothly as it does.
Bushings/rubber can take wear, but shock from impact may prove to be another story.

Glad you are fine and I'm sure all will be taken care of correctly and in a professional manner.
You gotta get that beautiful LS back on the road!
Old 02-26-16, 10:37 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor
CL Vendor - Starter

Received 701 Likes on 615 Posts

Glad to hear your family and you are walking away safe! You probably heard this a hundred times but cars are replaceable, your family is not.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: I was going for take-out for my family, and....