Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

**My Crazy LS600hL Hybrid Story**

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-16, 05:45 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
sadly if you were in a CARB required state, the repair would have been covered.

my wife's 2007 Camry Hybrid suffered the same issue as you, and nearly to the day of purchase as well, actually she was about 2 weeks past her in service date.

In CARB required states like California, Toyota upped the warranty to 10 years 150,000 miles for the Hybrids due to backlash from the EPA over the failures.

and FWIW the battery pack isn't technically what failed. the pack is made up of multiple batteries connected to each other with copper connectors, the connectors get corroded and the batteries can't communicate with each other..

here is a good site that talks about the issue, and a how to fix yourself, for under $10..

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ot-4000-to-fix
Good ol Cali!!! Go Lakers!! Well..maybe after we rebuild ;-)
Old 02-25-16, 05:46 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by hfahmy
BTW, was the hybrid battery they put in refurbished or new?
No clue whatsover. Never thought about that until you mentioned it
Old 02-25-16, 05:48 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Wow, that is crazy. My thing is, Lexus LS is still the best car overall for me when you factor in ride quality, the general reliability, and luxury feel. I know there are other brands out there but I'm at the point where I just need to have a warranty if I am going to own a sophisticated automobile.
Bought mine from private, so no extended warranty for my 600hL. I just hope for the best now
Old 02-25-16, 05:49 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by RandyV
But, but, but - didn't you tell them you are a Moderator at Club Lexus?

Coulda been worse I suppose.

Best of luck on your new DD, whatever you decide on.
I actually mentioned that I had the platform to reach thousands of people via my social media feeds and here on CL..they didn't care and told me I was free to share my story. As if I needed permission lol. I felt my story needed to be heard. It changed my perception and based on my immediate circle of car friends, they were shocked as well
Old 02-25-16, 05:51 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Get a refreshed LS 460! Awesome, awesome car. I love mine, the way it looks, the interior, everything! Then you can buy a new LS 500 after they work out all of the early-model bugs or possibly wait until they refresh that in circa (edit 2023, lol, didn't realize the length of time between) or thereabouts.
Definitely a good plan. I love the 2010 to 2012 body too...13s are still a little more than I want to spend at the current moment and cheap ones are beat to hell from what I've seen.
Old 02-25-16, 07:55 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I would have loved to see some of the LS600hL's interior features at least as options on the LS460L (or even the SWB), but I guess Lexus marketing thought it would harm the exclusivity of the LS600hL. IIRC, the rear entertainment video in earlier LS600hL model years didn't require the Executive Seating option (4 instead of 5-seat configuration), whereas it was required (and I think still is) for the LS460L.

Last edited by Gbp; 02-26-16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-26-16, 07:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You're lucky they gave you "permission" to share this story at CL. Because you wouldn't have dared, otherwise.....

Looking forward to hearing what you replace your ride with. Have you considered an Equus or K900?
Old 02-26-16, 08:30 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Jitty, I'm sorry you went through this and must admit I am shocked. Like others, I wish you well with your next vehicle, which I'm sure will be carefully and thoughtfully selected!

My experience with Lexus has historically been that they stand behind their product like no other manufacturer. My 460L was a solid example of this, and that particular experience developed the strongest loyalty I've ever felt towards any company. Your situation does give one much to think about.

While I have never taken anything for granted in the service/warranty sense, the prospect of premature failure of the "heart" of Lexus' flagship hybrid is something I never thought would be taken lightly. Thus, like you, I would have expected a different outcome for any 600 with relatively low miles.

For a vehicle out of warranty, the assistance you were offered seems reasonable, from a %/$ perspective. However, that is, IMHO, irrelevant. What I struggle with is the absurd idea that failure on the day-of leaves you out of luck, and idiotic references (by your service advisor or whomever) to a birthday, etc., only add salt to the wound.

You were on record on the 2,920th day, but heck, even if this happened a week or two later, I would argue that this is not the place to penny-pinch. I genuinely wonder what the decision-maker's thought process was, as this strict adherence to some theoretical fine print is very unlike Lexus. If your car was a limo with 150k+ miles, I would understand better, but that's not what we're talking about.

Bottom line... there is not much new here beyond what others have stated; I'm just sharing my perspective as a fellow CL'er (and 600hL owner ).

All the best to you. And you better not leave CL !
Old 02-26-16, 08:46 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by VQT
Don't you remember Toyota just lost over $2 billions on fine because of un-intentional acceleration? They need to cut down on other cost to recuperate.
Unfortunately, I believe there is truth to this, but I am still having an issue wrapping my head around the fact that they denied him complete coverage of an integral part of the car that was HOURS outside of warranty coverage.
Old 02-26-16, 09:05 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Isn't there a place on our CL Forum to communicate with the Corporate Lexus Warranty guys? I seem to remember such a thing.

If so, perhaps we should all hit that one with our major concerns over how Jitty was treated and our growing fear that Lexus Customer Service may be on the decline. I would think the collective strength of our CL LS Community would be able to sway the Corporate Lexus guys to some degree. It's probably too late for Jitty, but this sort of issue will impact many of us in the future, so now may be the time to voice our dissatisfaction/concern to Corporate Lexus...

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-16, 09:18 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I don't know who really had the power to make it a full goodwill. The dealer or the mothership.
I'm not sure who else has more recently dealt with Lexus at the dealership level as well as the corporate level other than I, but regarding my recent dealings with both and a goodwill gesture, it was corporate who had the complete authority to make the call, and I would have to assume that it would be corp. in this given situation, especially when speaking about a hybrid component of a 600hL.

In the event you, CJITTY weren't aware as well as some others, I recently had Lexus replace my UCA's via goodwill, but I was responsible for labor.
As not to completely rehash the entire story (its documented in another 'control arm' thread), when I was initially informed about the issue after having them inspected by the Lexus mechanic group, I was plainly given a diagnosis and a price for parts and labor.
I didn't even bother asking anyone at the dealership to work with me regarding the cost, because of the age of my vehicle (though the miles were pretty low), and I figured that it'd be a waste of time, so I went immediately to corporate.
I wrote them a long detailed and respectful email on Sunday, was notified on Monday that the email was received and that I should be getting a call from a case representative that following Wednesday, then actually received a call on Thursday saying that they decided to take care of the replacement, but I would be responsible for labor.
My post goes into further detail about what happened between this occurrence and when I finally took advantage of the goodwill gesture, but another set of instances occurred that I have not posted here, and I ended up having to speak to the owner of the dealership, and had a lengthy conversation with him discussing the situation from A to Z.
It ended well, with him offering several apologies as well as a few free services, but unbeknownst to him, I will not be returning, though the dealership is 12 minutes away from my home.
Something the owner said to me that I was already privy to, was that he was glad that LC (Lexus Corp) offered a goodwill service, and to be honest, given the circumstances, they probably would not have offered the same assistance. But it was Corp's. call and they are to honor what comes from corp.
He went on to state the obvious..."As I'm sure you understand, we are here to not only serve customers, but also to be successful which requires us to make money. I mean...you understand that right?"

I'd surmise that the decision came purely from corporate.
The other issue I have with your situation, is that, thought its great that they offered assistance, why be petty and leave you with a $1500 bill.
I'm absolutely sorry this situation occurred, especially given the fact that:
A. The dealership didn't see fit to handle it, and B., the fact that you had to take it to corp. and the fiasco that ensued should not have even happened.

Indeed, great things come to those who wait.
Old 02-26-16, 09:22 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by riknchar
Isn't there a place on our CL Forum to communicate with the Corporate Lexus Warranty guys? I seem to remember such a thing.

If so, perhaps we should all hit that one with our major concerns over how Jitty was treated and our growing fear that Lexus Customer Service may be on the decline. I would think the collective strength of our CL LS Community would be able to sway the Corporate Lexus guys to some degree. It's probably too late for Jitty, but this sort of issue will impact many of us in the future, so now may be the time to voice our dissatisfaction/concern to Corporate Lexus...

Thoughts?
I don't see why not and I absolutely agree.
I also don't see anything negative that can come of it.
The brightest light needs to be shed on situations such as these and though Lexus has a stellar reputation for customer service, they should never be immune to being placed on front street.
This type of customer service, or lack of, is not okay.
Old 02-26-16, 10:37 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm not aware of a place on this forum to communicate with corporate Lexus and of so please advise. I'll be the first. It's past time.
Old 02-26-16, 10:43 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 670 Likes on 591 Posts

Terribly sorry to hear about this, especially since you did have the CPO coverage. There are a lot of stories on the ISF forums, where customers with warranty get left with a we'll pay 50%, you cover the rest. This is a company that has won Best customer service awards! Glad to hear that you at least got 75% of it covered, even though its not a 100%..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-26-16, 10:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Terribly sorry to hear about this, especially since you did have the CPO coverage. There are a lot of stories on the ISF forums, where customers with warranty get left with a we'll pay 50%, you cover the rest. This is a company that has won Best customer service awards! Glad to hear that you at least got 75% of it covered, even though its not a 100%..

-Josh
Wait, are you saying that customers WITH warranties are or have been left to pay 50% of a repair bill?
If you wouldn't mind, could you provide more details?
Were these Lexus warranties or 3rd party?
What were some of the repairs?
How often was Lexus Corporate involved, if involved at all?

Quick Reply: **My Crazy LS600hL Hybrid Story**