LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Here comes a new sub-frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 10:26 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Here comes a new sub-frame

Lucky me driving home last night I ran over something that fell off a dump truck. Now there is a bent sub frame along with damaged exhaust.
Old 02-24-16, 10:34 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Bummer!!! I'm an avid motorcycle rider, and it's made me extremely cautious whenever driving behind trucks/trailers loaded with stuff. What can cause an annoying repair on a car can kill a motorcyclist... Hope you can get your 460L fixed properly without too much headache.
Old 02-24-16, 11:30 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Stay safe out there!

So apparently it was not a part from the dump truck. It was a drive shaft from a pickup who's transfer case exploded. Now it's going to get interesting since both of us have State Farm.
Old 02-24-16, 12:49 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Damn! Well the good news is I also have State farm and they've always been good about claims so you're in good hands! I mean with your neighbor...
Old 02-24-16, 01:42 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Oh man that s--ks. Hope your insurance covers you and gets you back on the road.
Old 02-24-16, 01:45 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Estimate so far ... $7700.
Old 02-24-16, 06:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Surprised the insurance co. didn't total it.

Would that be preferable to you if they did or are you dead set on getting that frame repaired?
Old 02-24-16, 07:21 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Well nothing has been decided yet, but it's not the main frame, it's only the sub frame. Sort of like getting an engine replaced, or any other major mechanical component. But as far as totaling, $7700 is far from what a fully loaded '11 460L would be valued at. So I don't see that happening. In addition, I would not want it totaled. These are not easy to find and I simply like the car.
Old 02-24-16, 07:46 PM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear. A few weeks ago while driving to work doing around 60mph, the spare tire on a truck in front of me dropped down from underneath and started rolling right at me. Luckily, I was able to swerve around it.

Big picture, at least you are ok. Cars can be replaced. Hope everything works out.
Old 02-24-16, 09:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

We just had a very bizarre and tragic accident here in Mass. A teacher on her way to work was killed when a manhole cover went airborne and went through her windshield. It was just unbelievable.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/02/1...l-fatal-crash/
Old 02-25-16, 03:22 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's crazy about that manhole. You just never know what's going to come flying down the freeway. It's all about fate and luck I guess.

The only reason I asked about them totaling it as they do that with any frame damage typically. They would give you book value on the car or "one model year newer" depending on your insurance. You can always try and haggle that, or it doesn't hurt to ask, then you could theoretically get a newer car. Some people just prefer this assuming they're not underwater on a loan.

Just bear in mind that your car will show frame damage on any carfax report should you decide to sell it later. No one will touch it.

Last edited by Rhambler; 02-25-16 at 03:26 AM.
Old 02-25-16, 06:39 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Back in the early 80's my uncle in St Louis was driving home on I270 East when a semi driving on I270 West lost a trailer tire and it traveled through the median and hit the front end of his pristine and I do mean pristine 1970/71 Buick Electra 225 2 door hard top with a 454 engine and totaled it.

Dennis
Old 02-25-16, 06:52 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I know what you mean about finding the right car. Insurance certainly should cover it for you and if it can be repaired properly, that is the way to go. It's a hassle I know, but in the long run, if you can get it right, you'll be good to go.
Old 02-25-16, 06:57 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rhambler
That's crazy about that manhole. You just never know what's going to come flying down the freeway. It's all about fate and luck I guess.

The only reason I asked about them totaling it as they do that with any frame damage typically. They would give you book value on the car or "one model year newer" depending on your insurance. You can always try and haggle that, or it doesn't hurt to ask, then you could theoretically get a newer car. Some people just prefer this assuming they're not underwater on a loan.

Just bear in mind that your car will show frame damage on any carfax report should you decide to sell it later. No one will touch it.
Not sure how the whole sub-frame vs frame distinction would play out in the carfax arena. If we go purely from a structural point of view, it's a removable cross-member that essentially holds the engine. On the other hand, the part does have the word "frame" in it. Either way I did tell the insurance that I will pursue a diminished value claim. We'll see how well that one goes.
Old 02-25-16, 07:11 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Not sure how the whole sub-frame vs frame distinction would play out in the carfax arena. If we go purely from a structural point of view, it's a removable cross-member that essentially holds the engine. On the other hand, the part does have the word "frame" in it. Either way I did tell the insurance that I will pursue a diminished value claim. We'll see how well that one goes.
You'll definitely experience "diminished value," and hopefully State Farm will compensate you for that. I'd recommend you document completely the damage (via photos, etc.) and when you do go to sell it one day use the documentation to help the buyer understand this damage was not to the Sub-Frame. I'd be willing to buy a car like this (for a reduced price, of course) if the previous owner was upfront about it and had lots of documentation on the actual damage and repairs.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Here comes a new sub-frame