LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Damaged my car jack!! Covered by CPO???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-16, 05:12 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Damaged my car jack!! Covered by CPO???

Was changing oil today on my 460, put the car up with two jacks one at each side, after I am done, one of the jacks was crooked and does not want to close... Anyone experienced this before?? Is this considered covered under my CPO warranty???
Attached Thumbnails Damaged my car jack!! Covered by CPO???-image.jpeg  
Old 02-20-16, 06:27 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If not, check the bay
Old 02-20-16, 06:43 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Invest in a set of ramps or a floor jack for doing maintenance. IMHO You are out of luck on the Lexus scissor jack. You can try to get one but this is NOT a item on the CPO check list....... The dealer will most likely say you misused the jack and did not follow jacking directions.
Try running the jack open then spray some lube on the threads/pivot points while you close it...... Hopefully this will make it close. If this does not work toss it in the garbage because it may fail the next time you use it.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 02-20-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-21-16, 06:40 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Doesn't hurt to ask. Worse they can say is no. Just explain to them that you don't feel comfortable not having a jack and that you consider it an essential part of the car. Give them your best sob story and see what they say.
Old 02-21-16, 06:58 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Never, but never, get under a car held up by a jack. Clearly your jack was in the process of failing. The outcome could have been a lot worse. Always use jack stands and then take the load off the jack.

As far as coverage, read through your warranty.
Old 02-21-16, 07:51 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

If you fail at getting the jack replaced by the dealer, check out Flea Bay...... They usually go for around $125 shipped free.
Old 02-21-16, 11:49 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Thank you all for the responses!!! Reason I use the car jack is the grooved slot that does not damage the under carriage. I have two hydrolic lifts with stands, problem is they bend the jack locking grooves after use.

Also, I do believe that I know how to use a jack I think that those OEM jacks are not designed for repeated use. The one that was damaged is from my 600, every time I used it I felt that it was struggling lifting the car especially the front of the 600.

I guess safety first, so agree with the opinion of not using those and getting under the car.

One dealer already said No to replacement and the other ordered one and said they will check with the CPO warranty. Will not call Lexus on this one, saving my chances for a bigger deal.

Will update on the outcome.
Old 02-21-16, 12:26 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I had to change one of my rear tires after hitting a piece of metal in the road. My scissor jack and the extended metal rod used to raise the jack are both flimsy. I actually bent and twisted the metal rod. Where to place the jack at the rear of the car could have been marked better because the owner's manual wasn't that clear.. The jack probably isn't covered under warranty but you have nothing to lose by asking.
Old 02-21-16, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I think that those OEM jacks are not designed for repeated use. The one that was damaged is from my 600, every time I used it I felt that it was struggling lifting the car especially the front of the 600.
Of course they aren't. They're designed to jack the car up 3 inches off the ground in a pinch to change a tire. Its not a piece of repair shop equipment.

You're lucky to be alive.
Old 02-24-16, 10:43 AM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Of course they aren't. They're designed to jack the car up 3 inches off the ground in a pinch to change a tire. Its not a piece of repair shop equipment.

You're lucky to be alive.
THAT is the TRUTH!!

JACK STANDS, JACK STANDS, JACK STANDS!!
Old 02-24-16, 11:47 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Never, but never, get under a car held up by a jack. Clearly your jack was in the process of failing. The outcome could have been a lot worse. Always use jack stands and then take the load off the jack.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-16, 01:44 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Yeah don't do that again. Next time you may not be so lucky.
Old 02-24-16, 02:06 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Grab a set of ramps www.raceramps.com or a quality jack www.heinwerner-automotive.com and jack stands for doing SAFE maintenance on any car....... Buy quality or your loss may be more than just financial.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 02-24-16 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 03:56 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Why in the world would you use a scissor jack to lift the car up and do oil changes?

Please be wise and get heavy duty jack and use jack stands before go under the car. You don't know how many guys have died because of this unorthodox practice.
Old 02-24-16, 05:12 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Why in the world would you use a scissor jack to lift the car up and do oil changes?

Please be wise and get heavy duty jack and use jack stands before go under the car. You don't know how many guys have died because of this unorthodox practice.
Please read post #7.

Quick Reply: Damaged my car jack!! Covered by CPO???