LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Chasing the LS460.. The official hunt begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-16, 08:15 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

ok so contestant #2 has shown itself...

the 07 460L turned out to have a bunch of electrical gremlins under the hood so I didn't get it.. actually they refused to sell it to me because it had so many issues once they checked it out. my boss actually apologized because he promised it to me but refused to sell it to me for my own good. basically saving me from myself, because when it comes to cars, I am not a rational or sensible person. if I want a car I want it and whatever is wrong with it usually goes right out the window and I get it anyway..

moving forward a SWB 2008 ls460 has shown up, that is in absolutely pristine condition. its black on light grey with the "marble" looking wood trim. not sure what its called. this one has no air shocks so that wont be a worry, but it doesn't have the self parking feature like the other one, but its got the ML system and the HDD which is important. it also has dealer installed aftermarket DVD players in the headrests. the black paint is so good it looks brand new. not even any scuff marks. its mirror nice. interior is perfect too, virtually no wear on it. car has 110k highway miles but every single service since it was new was done to it. it also has perfect factory chromes and the gold package. the former owner was a saint that babied the car and always replaced everything on it. its got tons of service records, and I talked to the advisor that watched over the car for its entire life. he told me it was a good car, and the next day the former owner of the car actually showed up in there new one for a checkup and I was introduced to her. she told me how much she missed it and that she regretted getting rid of it, and that if I was looking for one that was right, her old car would be the one.

pressure is also happening. my 95 Ls400 is starting to have problems, something is breaking on it every other week now and the wife is getting scared of it. my friends are laughing at me cause my car is hilariously old and is the oldest car in the employee parking lot, my family is even pushing me to get a newer one and the only reason ive dragged my heels so long is because I want to find the right one, and even as dated as my old Ls400 is, I love the car and really don't want it to die, but I know something hideously expensive is going to take a crap on it any day now. .

bottom line is the car is $19k. im looking at 60 months of payments if I jump. and I need to make a decision pretty fast on this one if I want it cause its already on the lot, the weekend is coming, and it will sell by sunday. they always do.

thoughts? this is truly a good one, but its SWB and is missing a few options I want. should I go for it or wait till the next one shows up and roll the dice and hope my Ls400 can hold together a little longer, cause it is my main DD that's my lifeline....
Old 06-03-16, 08:32 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

The price seems pretty high to me for an '08 SWB w/110K miles, but the car's history and condition definitely can play a part in it's true "value" to you. KBB lists the full Retail value of the car at $18,700 (here's the link: http://www.kbb.com/lexus/ls/2008/ls-...icetype=retail).

Have all the common issues already been addressed on the car? Front Control Arms all replaced? Brake Actuator? Does it have significant wind noise on the highway? How are the brakes/tires?

All of these issues can be overcome, but would definitely play a part in whether the car is a good value or not at the current price.

Sounds like you're ready to pull the trigger, and if this car feels like the right one to you (and everything I mentioned checks out), I say go for it! Good luck!
Old 06-03-16, 08:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I don't think 60 months of payments on any 9 year old car with 110k miles is a good idea...but if this one has the records and all, and its had the common issues addressed, its as good a move as any 460 that vintage and miles will be...
Old 06-03-16, 09:21 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

2008 LS460 L where I live would be about 25k

I had a broker find mine because I was looking for a 460L BLK/BLK w/ Executive package. Makes life soooo much easier when searching for specific cars and only adds a little more to the cost , plus shipping if its out of state.

Not sure Id opt to make payments on a car that old....not financially responsible for ME, but I dont know your situation and it sounds like you NEED another car asap.

Maybe cash out an LS430? Ive got a 430UL for a daily and its pretty dope inside...and theyre priced "right" these days.

Good luck with the search!!
Old 06-03-16, 09:22 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Almost $20k after taxes license and fees for a car that's about to be 10 years old sounds pretty high to me. Especially considering it's got over 100,000 miles and you'll start to have a lot more repairs and service then usual. Since you can't afford to buy it outright will you be able to fork out the cash for a major repair over the next 5 years?
Old 06-03-16, 11:05 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Personally I think the mileage is too high for the price. Also I major dislike the gold package. There is no car at any price I would buy with the gold package. The dealer you work for is not giving you any kind of deal at all. This price is full boat and then some for anybody walking into the place. I would look at other places to buy my LS460. The one owner and fully serviced cache is impressive but most of these cars are fully serviced and a couple owners is not a bad thing at all. So bottom line you have to just love this car to justify the purchase and if that's the case go for it.
Old 06-03-16, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Replacing the gold package is very easy. To pass on a car because of the gold package is silly. Just order chrome emblems, and swap them out.
Old 06-03-16, 11:22 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
2008 LS460 L where I live would be about 25k

I had a broker find mine because I was looking for a 460L BLK/BLK w/ Executive package. Makes life soooo much easier when searching for specific cars and only adds a little more to the cost , plus shipping if its out of state.

Not sure Id opt to make payments on a car that old....not financially responsible for ME, but I dont know your situation and it sounds like you NEED another car asap.

Maybe cash out an LS430? Ive got a 430UL for a daily and its pretty dope inside...and theyre priced "right" these days.

Good luck with the search!!
ive been looking for an executive package car forever. don't think ill ever find one

this is going to sound crazy but I hate the Ls430. it rides nice but I cant stand the way it looks. I love the lines of the Ls400 and I love the lines of the 460. the only 430 I ever saw that really had me going was a 2005 black / saddle UL model, but those are stupid rare.
Old 06-03-16, 11:36 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
ive been looking for an executive package car forever. don't think ill ever find one

this is going to sound crazy but I hate the Ls430. it rides nice but I cant stand the way it looks. I love the lines of the Ls400 and I love the lines of the 460. the only 430 I ever saw that really had me going was a 2005 black / saddle UL model, but those are stupid rare.
Yea I drove my LS400 even though I had the money for an upgrade. I passed on the LS430 because it did nothing for me. My friend had a 2005 and I rode in it often, liked my 400 better. The 460 is incredible. Get over the executive package and find a keeper. ML without air suspension is all that really maters other than condition and price.
Old 06-03-16, 01:32 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

That price seems high, especially seeing how you work there. That car would sell for 16,500 where I live.

I guess I'm not surprised that even at the dealer one works, the sales manager won't cut anyone a break...but I'm sure he'll tell you he's giving you a break.
Old 06-03-16, 02:08 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
That price seems high, especially seeing how you work there. That car would sell for 16,500 where I live.

I guess I'm not surprised that even at the dealer one works, the sales manager won't cut anyone a break...but I'm sure he'll tell you he's giving you a break.
Actually I'm very surprised. When I bought my vehicle I got an additional discount because I knew the VP at the sister company that sells the Toyotas. I can't believe the employees can't get a break because they certainly do here in Hawaii. Heck they even get a hefty discount on OEM parts.
Old 06-03-16, 02:16 PM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
...the only 430 I ever saw that really had me going was a 2005 black / saddle UL model, but those are stupid rare.
Saddle up and ride!

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/5611287683.html
Attached Thumbnails Chasing the LS460..  The official hunt begins-image.jpeg  
Old 06-03-16, 04:10 PM
Biggotis06
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm kinda like you Stereo. If I see something I want my minds made up. Sounds like this car has a perfect history even though it's got a few miles on it. I'm sure the one owner lady didn't gut the car out. That's not many miles over an eight year period. Your lucky to have been able to talk to her and find out the history of the car. I wouldn't mind giving a few extra dollars for a car that had that kind of service records and background. That's why I bought one, because they usually outlast the ol' payment book. Good luck
Old 06-03-16, 04:11 PM
Biggotis06
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-03-16, 04:38 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I would have to agree about the price being a little high. I must say Stereorob, I just read through this thread and I am really pumped for you to get a 460. You have a very cool story when it comes to these cars and you are good a sharing it.

Quick Reply: Chasing the LS460.. The official hunt begins