Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Looking to buy a LS600HL

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 10:24 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Looking to buy a LS600HL

I currently have a third generation GS450h. Other than the well documented issues with the air suspension, are there any other known issues that I should look out for.

Unfortunately these don't come up for sale very often so I'll have to be very patient.

Has any here purchased the the 600 and wish they went with a 460 instead?
Old 02-19-16, 01:32 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I sold my 600 last week. My only advice is make sure you get a 2010 or newer so you can maximize the time on the 8yr/100k mile hybrid warranty. A 2011 will give you about 3 years remaining on the factory hybrid warranty based on the initial in service date. If you have a hybrid issue past 8yrs/100k, you may not get a full goodwill repair. And trust me from personal experience, if you are literally within hours past the warranty expiration date, Lexus may fight you on the warranty coverage and what they are willing to cover. It all depends on the dealership and what they are willing to do for you. Pay attention to the original in service date. Lexus goes by that date. So if you buy a 2009 Lexus LS600hL and it was first put into service on Mar 10, 2009 for the original owner, the hybrid warranty will expire for you on Mar 9, 2017.

If you can find an aftermarket warranty company that covers all hybrid components including the battery pack and inverter, then do it. Lexus VSA Extended Warranties/CPO wraps don't cover the inverter or battery pack past 8yr/100, so just know that. Me personally, I'm done with hybrids.

The only way I would do it again is buying one that will give me at least 3 or 4 years of factory hybrid coverage but I would for sure sell it or trade it before that factory 8/100 warranty ends. The cost of the hybrid battery with install is appx $5,500. The inverter is appx $8k not including install.

Another 600 owner on here just posted about his $5700 issue on his and he's past warranty. There is a reason this car costs well over $120K new. Be prepared to pay if those unique components fail and there are no aftermarket options like other hybrids out there if you are out of warranty.

Do you see the theme here in my post....#WARRANTY #WARRANTY #WARRANTY

EDIT: Inverter is covered past 100K if you have an extended VSA Platinum Lexus warranty. See post 31 below.

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-22-16 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-19-16, 01:34 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Very interesting. What kind of issues did you have? My GS450h has been rock solid.
Old 02-19-16, 01:54 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I sold my 600 last week
wait.. HUH?!
Old 02-19-16, 02:27 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Stereorob
wait.. HUH?!
Yup, deuces
Old 02-19-16, 02:32 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yup, deuces
the awesome car in your signature?! if so? good god man! why? that car was sick! just ready to move on to something different?
Old 02-19-16, 02:53 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Stereorob
the awesome car in your signature?! if so? good god man! why? that car was sick! just ready to move on to something different?
Thanks. I was past 8 year warranty period and didn't trust the hybrid components to last, so for me I sold it for strategic reasons. Plus I have another child coming soon and I need more trunk space. I had a great 4 year tour with mine, but I had to move on and I'll focus on something new. The car is phenomenonal and an absolute joy to drive. For me, no hybrid warranty coverage means unnecessary risk. These aren't simple $500 parts..they are several thousand dollar type of parts..not something I want to pay out of pocket.

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-19-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-19-16, 09:41 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So then what's next for you after the 600hl?
Old 02-19-16, 10:19 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
So then what's next for you after the 600hl?
Honestly no clue. I have a couple things in mind. My previous 460 and most recent 600hL were bucket list items for me that I can check off the list of goals achieved . I'm probably going a different direction altogether. I like the 13 460L, but I'd rather drive something else for the next few years and buy the 5th gen LS once they come off lease around 2020. But back on topic, my next car will have a warranty..believe that
Old 02-20-16, 04:44 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I use to be vehemently against paid warranties. I still think they are a complete waste when it comes to consumer electronics, but considering the complexity and costs of repairs of these newer cars, I've changed my stance, at least for cars and cars alone. I won't touch them for consumer electronics or anything else for that matter.

Even then, these warranty companies, like all insurance companies, makes money based on taking in more in premiums then paying out in claims, so for every one person that has a claim that exceeds their premium, there are probably five people who haven't.

It's all a gamble and how much risk tolerance you have. Whether people are disciplined enough to squirrel away that premium money into an interest-bearing account versus paying the premium, and whether any potential claim is more or less than either of those is all about luck.

In any case, I agree, I too will get a warranty when the manufacturer's warranty expires. There's more to that simple bottom line and it all comes down to how much value you put on peace of mind.

So whatever you get, buy a warranty, especially if it's the 600 imo, although I would read it carefully to see what components of the hybrid are covered.
Old 02-20-16, 05:37 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoodo
I currently have a third generation GS450h. Other than the well documented issues with the air suspension, are there any other known issues that I should look out for.

Unfortunately these don't come up for sale very often so I'll have to be very patient.

Has any here purchased the the 600 and wish they went with a 460 instead?
I was seriously considering post 2011 model 600s (very rare to find). However, as CJITTY said cost of repairs scared me off. Not all auto shops would touch 600 for certain repairs. Even among Lexus dealerships, only few have been trained on 600 repairs - at least that's what I was told by one of service advisor.

Even after market warranty won't be cheap if you include hybrid system. When I checked the Carchex warranty quote on my 460L, it came almost close to Lexus extended warranty when they added 'additional electronics' such as radar cruise, park assist etc. 600 is more complex car than 460.

If you choose to go with 600 route, I would strongly suggest getting one with lane departure feature. That combines with radar cruise is a heaven on highways!!! Good luck.
Old 02-20-16, 12:39 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Definitely depends on your tolerance for risk; as well as the age and condition of the car.

These were expensive cars when new with complicated electronics components (70 computers!) and that increases the risk that something would go wrong.

Myself I've had good luck with Toyota cars; my LS 430 has every electronic doodad and they all still work; the car turns 15 next month. The only things that have gone wrong are things like O2 sensors; motor mounts, normal wear items.

Depending on your state; the battery pack may be covered. In California the hybrid battery is considered part of the emissions system and is covered by a 10 year warranty.

That being said; the hybrid system is mechanically related to the Toyota system which i know from personal experience is capable of lasting well over 100k miles with no issues. The hybrid transmission is actually less complex than a traditional automatic transmission; but as CJITTY points out there are things like the inverters, power control units that are unique to this car. Priuses are one of the most reliable cars out there; so I would gamble the hybrid system probably own't fail unless it's a very high mileage vehicle.

I tried to find a lower mileage 600h with the thinking that the less miles on the battery the longer it would last. I did buy the extended warranty when I bought the car almost 2 years ago and have yet to use it; but again I'm a relatively low mileage driver. At least in LA; many independent hybrid shops are popping up; some with factory training (we are swimming in hybrids here).

So for me it was worth the risk; but again you'll be challenged because the pool of available cars is very small. I'm actually more concerned about other things (air springs, all the other electronics) than the hybrid system.
Old 02-20-16, 12:43 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

being that this is a unique car not too many were made. I cant imagine what a nightmare it is going to be to find parts for this car when it gets old...
Old 02-20-16, 01:18 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The 600hL is unique and rare because I've never seen one in my area or in passing. The only one I've seen was at the dealership when I had mines serviced. New parts and labor will be expensive and Lexus have probably planned for this because the 600hL is so rare. You'll probably be wasting time calling the wrecking yards for parts.
Old 02-21-16, 02:01 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

being that this is a unique car not too many were made. I cant imagine what a nightmare it is going to be to find parts for this car when it gets old...
Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The 600hL is unique and rare because I've never seen one in my area or in passing. The only one I've seen was at the dealership when I had mines serviced. New parts and labor will be expensive and Lexus have probably planned for this because the 600hL is so rare. You'll probably be wasting time calling the wrecking yards for parts.
Not really.

90% of the car is identical to the 460L AWD. All the wear items, exterior body panels, suspension components etc are shared with the non-hybrid cars. The 5.0L V8 is similar to the one ISF and shares many parts with the 4.6L variant. Even the air suspension components are the same.

The only unique components are some of the interior fittings (leather covered door skins, wood courtesy handle pulls, etc). Maybe some of the displays; but I'm not sure if it's just the hybrid system feeding those onto the AVC-LAN bus or not. Oh and the headlights.

The big ones are the hybrid battery, inverter and power controller; and the hybrid transmission. I haven't really heard of those components failing on any Toyota hybrid; but I'm sure if they do it's not cheap.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a LS600HL