LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is this the answer to my USB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 06:51 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Is this the answer to my USB?

While I have the HDD in my 08, it's just not convenient. I'd like a plug and play device that I can load from my computer and then play in my car with control of the nav screen via usb.

Is this what I need and if so, does anyone current use this device?

http://www.vaistech.com/site/mml.php
Old 02-11-16, 07:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Do you have an Android or Iphone?
Old 02-11-16, 07:55 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Do you have an Android or Iphone?
I have an iPhone 6S. I'm not so much concerned with my phone having anything to do with it. I don't load mp3's on my phone nor would I stream music LTE. My sole purpose would be to have the USB input currently found on the 2010+ models. I have a large mp3 album collection I'd love to load on a small portable drive or a large flash drive and be able to control it from the screen.
Old 02-12-16, 11:50 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
While I have the HDD in my 08, it's just not convenient. I'd like a plug and play device that I can load from my computer and then play in my car with control of the nav screen via usb.

Is this what I need and if so, does anyone current use this device?

http://www.vaistech.com/site/mml.php
I have it in my '08 and it's pretty good. Sound quality seems improved over my prior SLi unit. If you burn an MP3 cd with folders it's a pretty good approximation as it comes up as a second MP3 changer with only one disc.

Not sure about dumping a bunch of MP3s on it (I use it with an old iPod) but the manual at the bottom of the page you posted should have more links. You can swap out the usb/mp3 jack from the '10+ for a more oem look, I posted the part number and some tips in another post on this forum.

Good luck!

Last edited by jainla; 02-13-16 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 07:05 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jainla
I have it in my '08 and it's pretty good. Sound quality seems improved over my prior SLi unit. If you burn an MP3 cd with folders it's a pretty good approximation as it comes up as a second MP3 changer with only one disc.

Not sure about dumping a bunch of MP3s on it (I use it with an old iPod) but the manual at the bottom of the page you posted should have more links. You can swap out the usb/mp3 jack from the '10+ for a more open look, I posted the part number and some tips in another post on this forum.

Good luck!
Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I had the ipod adapter in my 430. They ran the cable into the glove box. Yes, the ipod sounded fine and there was just enough characters on the 430 screen to know what you were listening to. But, I would like a similar luxury to the 2010-12 model with the USB input that shows up on the nav screen. I already burn cd's with folders and it's great. I would rather load 128gb worth of albums using a usb drive.
Old 02-13-16, 09:08 AM
jainla
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R Z
Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I had the ipod adapter in my 430. They ran the cable into the glove box. Yes, the ipod sounded fine and there was just enough characters on the 430 screen to know what you were listening to. But, I would like a similar luxury to the 2010-12 model with the USB input that shows up on the nav screen. I already burn cd's with folders and it's great. I would rather load 128gb worth of albums using a usb drive.
The MML accommodates both scenarios. I don't think it will run an actual HDD over the usb port but I know a thumb drive works just fine. I use the iPod because all my music is already in iTunes and in AAC format (which is not supported on the usb drive). You can plug either an iPod or a thumb drive into the port.

Again the actual details of what folder structure you can use and how to map playlist files to the MP3 files are detailed in the manual but the unit works well. I've had it in my car for over a year with no issues.
Old 02-13-16, 09:31 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jainla
The MML accommodates both scenarios. I don't think it will run an actual HDD over the usb port but I know a thumb drive works just fine. I use the iPod because all my music is already in iTunes and in AAC format (which is not supported on the usb drive). You can plug either an iPod or a thumb drive into the port.

Again the actual details of what folder structure you can use and how to map playlist files to the MP3 files are detailed in the manual but the unit works well. I've had it in my car for over a year with no issues.
Where is the USB port installed on your 08?
Old 02-14-16, 04:01 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Are theses USB formatted for PCs or will the Mac work? maybe that's why my iPod is slow?
Old 02-15-16, 07:53 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Are theses USB formatted for PCs or will the Mac work? maybe that's why my iPod is slow?
I have no idea. I'm just trying to determine if I get this unit, can the usb port be installed like it is on the 2010-2012 model. Then it would be out of the way and loaded with music.
Old 02-16-16, 07:53 PM
AMACK
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I think I'm looking for the same thing.

I want to plug in my iPhone and be able to view on the navi. Stream video with surround sound in the 08 460L. Be cool if maps app work on navi as well. I'm sure there are other apps the would be nice to.
Old 02-17-16, 06:53 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by AMACK
I think I'm looking for the same thing.

I want to plug in my iPhone and be able to view on the navi. Stream video with surround sound in the 08 460L. Be cool if maps app work on navi as well. I'm sure there are other apps the would be nice to.
It won't cast any apps to your screen. All it does is emulate a CD player (or MD etc). In other words, it'll show song title, etc as though you had a CD inserted and playing (same screen). If you want screen casting from your phone, you'll need the Vaistech IVIC-D or similar.
Old 02-17-16, 11:07 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R Z
I have no idea. I'm just trying to determine if I get this unit, can the usb port be installed like it is on the 2010-2012 model. Then it would be out of the way and loaded with music.
It has to be formatted for FAT32 (PC). Again all the instructions are in the manual which you can download for free from the Vaistech site.

The plug from the 2010 models (Aux, USB) fits directly into the same jack as the one on the 2008 models; just squeeze the tabs from the other side and push it into the console box.

I put some info up in another post here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9186242

A pretty easy install all in all. The biggest PITA was figuring out the Aux pin outs to get the jack to work properly. But it's all in the post above; you might have to do some trial and error when you're wiring it up.