LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 transmission slips between 2 and 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 02:51 AM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

My GS460, same transmission does the same thing when I first drive in the morning when it's cold only the first one or two gear changes, always goes away though and shifts smooth once the car warms up. I'm at 163k and i think the car will easily pass 200k, I wouldn't worry about the engine or transmissions with these cars.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (01-24-21)
Old 12-02-16, 03:13 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 0133642
Not to derail the thread but...

Does anyone keep Eco mode on permanently? Two things here:

It's extremely convenient Eco mode remains engaged after the ignition is turned off. I also feel the Aisin shifts significantly smoother between one thousand rpm and two thousand rpm than 2-3 thousand which is typical driving in regular mode.

Tying this into the thread. Anyone experiencing irratic shifting might want to go this route. Just a thought!
Glad you mentioned ECO mode. I was very surprised to find on my '13 that car drives best when set to this. Normal mode is not quite as smooth and I only use sport for passing and spirited spurts. Very happy with ECO mode driveability and I never would have guessed it to be that way.
Old 12-02-16, 06:16 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 0133642
Not to derail the thread but...

Does anyone keep Eco mode on permanently? Two things here:

It's extremely convenient Eco mode remains engaged after the ignition is turned off. I also feel the Aisin shifts significantly smoother between one thousand rpm and two thousand rpm than 2-3 thousand which is typical driving in regular mode.

Tying this into the thread. Anyone experiencing irratic shifting might want to go this route. Just a thought!
I also experience this shifting phenomenon first thing in the morning...and it's only once per day.

But I've never actually used Eco Mode...I'll have to check that out.
CamelKool (01-24-21)
Old 12-03-16, 10:10 PM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine used to have this shift flare from 2nd to 3rd, and 4th to 5th when I bought the car at 87k miles. All shift flares went away after I drained and refilled (3 times) the transmission fluid, and also dropping the transmission pan and replacing the transmission filter. Car is now 130k miles and still no shift flare. A real full fluid replacement (make sure it's done by connecting to a machine and running more than 10 quarts of new fluid through, Not a drain and fill which only takes 3 quarts) from the dealer would take care of this problem, even better if done earlier, before all the metal shavings from break-in wear down the all the friction rings (clutch packs), and band (the one in control of 2nd gear) in the transmission.

If vehicle mileage is relatively high, Don't get a fluid flush, new fluid may cause shift slip because the worn away friction rings are now operating in new clean fluid and have less friction than operating in the old dirty thicker fluid with break-in metal shavings floating around. That's why most people don't recommend flushing transmission fluids.

Last edited by Persocon; 12-03-16 at 10:26 PM.
Gmss96 (12-29-22)
Old 12-06-16, 09:44 PM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you sure that service was a proper full system fluid replacement, or a simple drain and fill, because simple drain and fill only takes out 3 quarts, total is 10 quarts.

The debris are very fine metal shavings from the 3 magnets on the bottom of my transmission pan. I have pictures in my post when I did the drain and fills.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-bollocks.html

Last edited by Persocon; 12-06-16 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-07-16, 04:06 PM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2011 Ls460 AWD does the same thing. Only once after a cold start. Maybe twice,but rarely. I know, one does not expect this in a "flagship" model. I am a little finicky, but this issue still bugs me every morning when I pullout of the garage,or after the car has sitting after a long day at work. Only 21k right now. Otherwise, no issues.
CamelKool (01-24-21)
Old 09-20-17, 03:22 PM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2009 with 82k does this too. Anyone have a definitive answer on whether the trans flush cures this?
CamelKool (01-24-21)
Old 09-20-17, 04:35 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I always wondered why car manufacturers keep raising the gear count. I'm sure it offers more improvements in fuel economy and performance, but at what price? How many gears will we go? Ten, twelve?

I almost wonder if it's done purely from a bragging perspective at this point, so they can say "8 speed" or "9 speed" on their brochures or TV commercials more so than any real gains versus potential drawbacks. Drawbacks in complexity, mechanical wear from way more gear changes and overall smoothness due to those additional gear changes.

Kind of miss simple, old "five-speed" automatics, heck, four speeds!

I know Acura has a ZF 9 speed in their newer models and they are having problems. Mercedes and their 8 speeds are also bad.
The major thrust is fuel economy. CAFE standards are no joke. Sadly, little brother is not going to even offer a V8! Maybe in time, but...
By having especially super tall highway gears, it helps many escape the Gas Guzzler tax and saves untold from being subject to it. Marketing being marketing, they have turned who has the most forward gears into a competition.
Old 09-21-17, 12:36 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

manufacturers they try to squeeze out every little mpg, hence the more gears
Old 08-06-18, 11:45 AM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after getting the fluid replaced on my 2007 that I bought from my boss the slipping has gotten worse. I read the thread about this happening after old fluid is changed which makes it actually worse after the fact :/ So it's mainly 4th gear where it slips really bad and the engine revs so as a work around I use the manual shift and simply go to 5th as fast I can. I called the best transmission shop in my town and they quoted me $700 to drop in a transmission which I would get from car-part or ebay I guess. They said it would probably cost more to rebuild the old one. Just curious how many users have had used transmissions installed without major issues.
Old 08-13-18, 09:46 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by daweeze02
So after getting the fluid replaced on my 2007 that I bought from my boss the slipping has gotten worse. I read the thread about this happening after old fluid is changed which makes it actually worse after the fact :/ So it's mainly 4th gear where it slips really bad and the engine revs so as a work around I use the manual shift and simply go to 5th as fast I can. I called the best transmission shop in my town and they quoted me $700 to drop in a transmission which I would get from car-part or ebay I guess. They said it would probably cost more to rebuild the old one. Just curious how many users have had used transmissions installed without major issues.
Have you had the Transmission ECM re-flashed? If not, this is your next step. I paid a hundred bucks or so to have both my engine ecm and my transmission ECM updated.
Old 11-21-18, 07:38 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I have not noticed the 2-3 shift flare anymore ever since I did a transmission drain-and-fill almost two months ago at 97K miles. It was probably the first drain-and-fill in the car's lifetime and I plan to do it again at the next oil change because the tranny shifted incredibly smooth for the first 800-1000 miles afterwards, then shift quality went back to normal smooth, just without the 2-3 flare.

Right after the drain-and-fill the shift quality rivaled the old LS 4- and 5-speed transmissions. It just really enhanced the overall sensation of smoothness of the LS .
The following 2 users liked this post by FatherTo1:
CamelKool (01-24-21), DanozLS430 (01-08-23)
Old 06-04-19, 11:42 PM
vchrung
Driver School Candidate

Default Same here but worse

Everyone says its only once... I get it multiple times even after a 170km run... just gets petrified when its about to go from 2nd to 3rd....

Originally Posted by ggnarl
I purchased my first Lexus in October, a very clean 2009 ls460. In colder weather (for Tucson AZ) in the 30's to 40's I notice that the transmission slips while the car is accelerating between 2nd and third gear.

By slipping, I mean as the car shifts between 2nd and 3rd it feels like it goes into neutral for a half second, so rpms spike 500 rpm, the car stops accellerating, and then catches as the next gear is finally engaged.

It does this pretty much every day when the car has been sitting overnight on the first steady acceleration after backing out of the garage. It only does it once, subsequent shifts a re pretty much normal.

Every once in a while coming out of a parking lot after say grocery shopping, it will do it again, just once.

I dropped it at the dealer and they of course could not replicate it.

I made a youtube video which shows it sort of. besides the rise in engine rpm, you feel a lurch in the acceleration as it drops down into gear.

Service records showed the trans was serviced just before I bought it.

Just looking for any input, thanks!

Transmission slipping - YouTube
Old 06-05-19, 12:04 AM
pearlponch
Driver School Candidate

everyone is experiencing almost the same thing.. my car jerks when reducing speed between gear 1& 2. wht could be the problem has anyone experieced it and how did u solve the problem. im a woman and was told to replace the computer box which i did but still the problem is there please please anybody jst help
Old 06-05-19, 08:30 AM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by pearlponch
everyone is experiencing almost the same thing.. my car jerks when reducing speed between gear 1& 2. wht could be the problem has anyone experieced it and how did u solve the problem. im a woman and was told to replace the computer box which i did but still the problem is there please please anybody jst help
Well for me I used Techstream software to force the transmission to relearn. Also there is a learning procedure. Find the attached files.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tcm learning.pdf (276.4 KB, 385 views)

Last edited by ALK; 06-05-19 at 12:13 PM.
vchrung (06-07-19)

Quick Reply: LS 460 transmission slips between 2 and 3