LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: Which Wheel
BBS RN 20"
35.48%
Forgeline RB1 19"
3.23%
Forgeline RB1 20"
35.48%
None and keep OEM
25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel Choices: Help me decide once and for all

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I voted stay OEM, but if you do go aftermarket I MUCH prefer the BBS Wheels. Those really match the LS IMHO, I don't care for the Forgelines.
Old 02-01-16, 05:19 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you. Appreciate the honest feedback and your perspective!
Old 02-01-16, 05:57 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

lol more food for thought.

Old 02-01-16, 06:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The Forgelines suite the Vette, not the LS.
Old 02-01-16, 07:14 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, no idea why every picture of BBS RN's are from Japan, but I found a video of the wheels on an LS!

I like it a lot!

Well, I think it's Japan...

Think those are the bright silver, although I can't tell. Think they look better?

Last edited by Rhambler; 02-01-16 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 09:21 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh oh, here I go again..... That car looks sweet lowered LOL
Old 02-01-16, 09:23 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I would be a little paranoid about curbing those wheels though. Just seems like a tougher rear than just a lip. But I'm still voting for the BBS!
Old 02-01-16, 11:44 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That BBS is just perfect. it looks like money.

To me the Forgeline looks tacky, like something that should be on a 240SX drift car. But to each his own.
Old 02-02-16, 07:44 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Old 02-02-16, 12:05 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

After seeing the photos, I do like the BBS wheels.
Here is the thing:
Both wheels are nice, and its obvious that each wheel presents differently on different cars.
The LS is a large bodied vehicle; wide and long and the wheel needs to compliment that.
So when it comes to wheel options, you can go one of two ways:
A larger wheel that will have thinner, straight forward spokes and show more of the rotor and caliper, or a wheel with a more complicated spoke pattern that will give the illusion (and will be) more "wheel", and see less of whats going on behind the wheel.
Theres nothing wrong with the Forgeline, its just a wheel with less material that allows for a more open look on a car.

Look at the center of the wheel and notice the minimal amount of material that stems from the hub area. Its just enough material circumference then the narrow spokes wing out.
I'd say more often you see these type of wheels on smaller sports cars, and wheels similar to these with a higher spoke count, on larger sedans.

Randomly search online for LS's with aftermarket 20"/21" wheels on them, you'll see exactly what I mean.

For example, a rim that has perhaps three times the number of spokes than the Forgeline but gives the illusion that its a "fuller" wheel, are the wheels on CJITTY's car, and they, to me, look fantastic.

The BBS wheels have more of an OEM look to them and have more material in the hub area to allow for a fuller look on a fuller, larger vehicle, and the spoke pattern breaks up the full appearance of the wheel.

So, it really depends on what overall look your trying to create for your car.
They are both nice wheels.
One is more of a sporty look, the other is more subtle with a sporty yet OEM feel/look.
Old 02-02-16, 12:36 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R Z
Ummmmm
Old 02-02-16, 12:42 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

A third a third a third a third, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Looks like it's a dead heat, you're right back where you started!
Old 02-02-16, 03:55 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for those insights. Appreciate it.

Man, every day I want a different wheel. Yesterday BBS, the day before, those Forges. You would think I would be happy getting new wheels, but man, this is tough. But I take comfort in that I'm not the only crazy one like this. All over BMW, Audi, pretty much every enthusiast forum that I've read, people are just as bad and crazy as me, especially as the wheels get more expensive.

Really wish those BBS were natively hubcentric and my decision would be easy.

Originally Posted by CRowe14
After seeing the photos, I do like the BBS wheels.
Here is the thing:
Both wheels are nice, and its obvious that each wheel presents differently on different cars.
The LS is a large bodied vehicle; wide and long and the wheel needs to compliment that.
So when it comes to wheel options, you can go one of two ways:
A larger wheel that will have thinner, straight forward spokes and show more of the rotor and caliper, or a wheel with a more complicated spoke pattern that will give the illusion (and will be) more "wheel", and see less of whats going on behind the wheel.
Theres nothing wrong with the Forgeline, its just a wheel with less material that allows for a more open look on a car.

Look at the center of the wheel and notice the minimal amount of material that stems from the hub area. Its just enough material circumference then the narrow spokes wing out.
I'd say more often you see these type of wheels on smaller sports cars, and wheels similar to these with a higher spoke count, on larger sedans.

Randomly search online for LS's with aftermarket 20"/21" wheels on them, you'll see exactly what I mean.

For example, a rim that has perhaps three times the number of spokes than the Forgeline but gives the illusion that its a "fuller" wheel, are the wheels on CJITTY's car, and they, to me, look fantastic.

The BBS wheels have more of an OEM look to them and have more material in the hub area to allow for a fuller look on a fuller, larger vehicle, and the spoke pattern breaks up the full appearance of the wheel.

So, it really depends on what overall look your trying to create for your car.
They are both nice wheels.
One is more of a sporty look, the other is more subtle with a sporty yet OEM feel/look.
Old 02-02-16, 04:52 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Maybe take a few weeks of and come back and see if you still feel the same. It sounds like it's gonna be a one time commitment so why rush it? You have plenty of time to find the perfect one for you.
Old 02-02-16, 04:55 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default z

I've found that when going aftermarket, it's best to take your time because it can be a rather large expense as well as nearly completely alter the look of the car.
Nothing at all wrong with taking your time with your selection, if you chose the aftermarket route at all.
I will say though, as it seems you've recently begun to experience, the constant looking and pondering can drive you nuts!
So at a certain point, which can only be determined best by you, you either pull the trigger or sit on the OEM's for a while.

Quick Reply: Wheel Choices: Help me decide once and for all