LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Might have found my LS460...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 01:50 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Might have found my LS460...

as some of you know im a hardcore Ls400 guy that's starting to seriously consider a 460. well today one came in on trade that im really interested in. its a 2007 460L with all the toys and the price is right.

black on black
air suspension
ML stereo
self park and radar cruise
executive seat package.

pros,

its one hell of a car and about the only upgrade is a 600hL
it was really well taken care of
everything still works perfect
one owner car, elderly woman driven only around town
fixed everything always, (miles of service papers on it)

Cons

its 9 years old
80k miles which i know is nothing for the 400 but idk about the 460
has serious road rash, has some dings in the door and a dented trunk lid but not bad
hasn't seen a day of a garage in its life, paint is a little faided
needs the dreaded brake actuator
has 50% life on the control arms
the 80k miles are hard city miles
air suspension works but feels kind of bouncy

i know the brake actuator is a big nasty gremlin and so are the control arms, but the price is right.

thoughts?
Old 01-30-16, 02:43 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

So what's the price? Keep in mind the '07 is the first of the gen and historically been known to have a few issues like wind noise etc. Check the service/recall records.
Old 01-30-16, 02:51 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

More cons than pros. I personally would pass on this one. Don't seems to be well taken of plus it might be needing some expensive repairs. Although the price might is right at the moment you might be getting a bad deal.
Old 01-30-16, 03:19 PM
ronsmoove
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In order to get proper feedback from us, You need to tell us the price and show us some pics of the car. You are saying the price is right but you are not telling us how much. Show us some pics if you want our opinions about if you are getting a deal or not.
Old 01-30-16, 03:21 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hope you find a good one!
Old 01-30-16, 07:59 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If you're worried about repairs, then as you know, the air ride system sooner or later is going to cost you. The control arms could probably last another 30k miles, but the brake actuator will cost you.

I just don't like city miles...the around town stuff. It's the hardest on a vehicle. All that stop and go really wears down components and it's tough on the drive trane too...and from the sound of it the paint has taken a few hits.

I wouldn't pay a dime more than 17,000
Old 02-01-16, 05:28 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

looking at about $15.5 with problems, if fixed im looking at around$19.9. since i work at the dealership and i like the guys i work with i kind of want to keep my money local (get from them) ive driven a lot of Ls460s but for whatever this one is kind of speaking to me, idk if you guys know what its like but for me when you get behind the wheel of certan cars even if its the same model and they all feel the same, whatever it is, call it a psycic feeling idk but you can just tell its the one you should get..

i really don't have a huge budget so i if it freaks out im not going to be able to afford a $5000 service on it, but ive been driving Ls400s for years and they've never let me down, so i assume the Ls460 is just as solid..

id post pics if i can, let me see if its possible from my ipad
Old 02-01-16, 06:36 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
i really don't have a huge budget so i if it freaks out im not going to be able to afford a $5000 service on it, but ive been driving Ls400s for years and they've never let me down, so i assume the Ls460 is just as solid..
When you purchase any car out of warranty and 9 years old, there is a chance for issues. It's always good to have a contingency fund for something down the road. The word "assume" scares the heck out of me. Assumptions can be very expensive.
Old 02-01-16, 09:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

looking at about $15.5 with problems, if fixed im looking at around$19.9. since i work at the dealership and i like the guys i work with i kind of want to keep my money local (get from them) ive driven a lot of Ls460s but for whatever this one is kind of speaking to me, idk if you guys know what its like but for me when you get behind the wheel of certan cars even if its the same model and they all feel the same, whatever it is, call it a psycic feeling idk but you can just tell its the one you should get..

id post pics if i can, let me see if its possible from my ipad
I'd very comfortable with this purchase. Good for you.!

While I agree somewhat with RZ regarding "assumptions", there are "reasonable" assumptions, and I would classify your purchase as a reasonably safe assumption. The Ls is rock solid and I wouldn't anticipate major issues. It will be the usual if anything.....control arms, maybe a water pump,....

I hope you're ready to spend any free time keeping that Obsidian clean and shiny! If there was one thing I could change, it would be my black paint color.
Old 02-01-16, 09:45 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'd very comfortable with this purchase. Good for you.!

While I agree somewhat with RZ regarding "assumptions", there are "reasonable" assumptions, and I would classify your purchase as a reasonably safe assumption. The Ls is rock solid and I wouldn't anticipate major issues. It will be the usual if anything.....control arms, maybe a water pump,....

I hope you're ready to spend any free time keeping that Obsidian clean and shiny! If there was one thing I could change, it would be my black paint color.
Im not a too distant second regarding my body color; black sapphire pearl.
It may as well be black because it presents as such.
I absolutely HATE just how many fine scratches I have on the body, and im a bit too nervous to attempt paint correction myself, as I understand that you can damage this already soft paint.
The shine is still amazing, its just when you get up close
To the OP:
If your willing to put some time and effort into it, im guessing the car could be a good choice.
Once its had a solid inspection and you feel comfortable, go for it. General maintenance and plan to address some things and you should be good to go.
Of course, good luck, and if you purchase, start a new thread and post some pics, or..IT DIDINT HAPPEN!
Old 02-01-16, 10:25 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Im not a too distant second regarding my body color; black sapphire pearl.
It may as well be black because it presents as such.
I absolutely HATE just how many fine scratches I have on the body, and im a bit too nervous to attempt paint correction myself, as I understand that you can damage this already soft paint.
The shine is still amazing, its just when you get up close
To the OP:
If your willing to put some time and effort into it, im guessing the car could be a good choice.
Once its had a solid inspection and you feel comfortable, go for it. General maintenance and plan to address some things and you should be good to go.
Of course, good luck, and if you purchase, start a new thread and post some pics, or..IT DIDINT HAPPEN!

oh i know the drill. and if i don't post pics the car don't exist. lol

this will be my first Ls460. ive wanted one in the worst kind of way since they came out. ive been in the Ls400 death spiral for 15 years, im realy for a newer one, plus i hate the Ls430 so my only option is the 460.

the black on black is going to be a murder furnace in the florida sun, but that's okay, its so pretty!! i can deal with it. just need to activate the window down feature (i work for lexus so i have TIS and Techstream) score!

ive never had a car payment before. so this will be a first to me. hopefully it wont freak out while im making payments on it.

this is a car that my friends will hate me for. no eating, no drinks or smoking in it. shoes off before getting in, car cover, wash and wax 3 times a week, only two passengers at a time. and LOTS of Joy riding at first! lmao! i will also have to master the self park feature, this system is confusing, a pain to set up, and terrible. im going to spend as much time figuring it out as possible!! i wont neglect my 95 Ls400 though, she is still my baby, this one will be a weekend and trip car.
Old 02-01-16, 10:29 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
So what's the price? Keep in mind the '07 is the first of the gen and historically been known to have a few issues like wind noise etc. Check the service/recall records.
its got STELLAR service records. maintained religiously mechanically. however,
it was never garaged and has some road rash on it. gotta get the paint helped out but it will come back, they are going to fix the dings for me.

lets talk control arms. they are about 50/50 right now. when they go bad, can i drive without them?
also, this is an air ride car, ive heard horror stories with the older systems and my first Ls400 had it and it went on me three times!! im really hoping the 460 bags are better. thoughts?
Old 02-01-16, 11:09 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

this is a car that my friends will hate me for. no eating, no drinks or smoking in it. shoes off before getting in, car cover, wash and wax 3 times a week, only two passengers at a time. and LOTS of Joy riding at first! lmao! i will also have to master the self park feature, this system is confusing, a pain to set up, and terrible. im going to spend as much time figuring it out as possible!! i wont neglect my 95 Ls400 though, she is still my baby, this one will be a weekend and trip car.
Congrats! Drive and enjoy. Its a used 9 y/o LS 460 and not a new Rolls Royce Wraith. Washing and waxing 3x a week will certainly damage the already thin paint and you will end up with more scratches and blemishes. The self parking feature is outdated and it can damage your rims. Good luck on mastering it and it can be down right embarrassing if you are trying to impress. No eating, drinks, or smoking, I agree. Its a fine automobile that someone else have gotten the best years out of but as long as you are satisfied is what matters.
Old 02-01-16, 12:22 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Okay so I'm going to try and post some photos. I can only send one at a time from my stupid iPad. Lmk what you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Might have found my LS460...-image.jpeg  
Old 02-01-16, 12:24 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry for the multiple posts but this is the only way I can get it to work
Attached Thumbnails Might have found my LS460...-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Might have found my LS460...