LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Startup Problems

Old 01-30-16, 10:53 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Startup Problems

I just got my car back from Lexus and they did the whole you need to fix this and that fixed. They said I needed a new battery etc etc.

I took my battery to auto zone and they said it was working fine and my alternator was working as well.

I don't drive every day and I don't drive for long distances. I live in the South and it's been cold as well.

Every time I try to start it, it feels like the battery is dying. After I drive for 15 mins and then start it up again it sounds great.

I have NEVER replaced my spark plugs and It's an 08 with 68k miles. Is that my problem?

Thank you as always guys!
Old 01-30-16, 11:05 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I was having the same problems and a new battery solved mines.
Old 01-30-16, 11:21 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Definitely sounds like a battery. Try an interstate dealer. I've never had issues with service since switching to them.
Old 01-30-16, 12:10 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm surprised AutoZone said it wasn't the battery. Is this the original battery? If so, it's time for sure. My 08 still had the original battery when I got it. Lasted maybe a couple of months and then it went. Autozone diagnosed the problem and put in a new one. Been fine ever since.
Old 01-30-16, 02:32 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

FYI, I drove around today and my batter DIED. I let it sit for over an hour at lunch and it barely cranked. I took it back to auto zone and she said it was dead.

So I got some kind of pro ration on the previous battery and looks like my problem has been solved.
Old 01-31-16, 12:50 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by USCRugby
FYI, I drove around today and my batter DIED. I let it sit for over an hour at lunch and it barely cranked. I took it back to auto zone and she said it was dead.

So I got some kind of pro ration on the previous battery and looks like my problem has been solved.
Was it an off brand? Cause like I said Interstate MegaTron has a pretty damn good warranty, never had issues replacing mine.
Old 01-31-16, 09:10 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Was it an off brand? Cause like I said Interstate MegaTron has a pretty damn good warranty, never had issues replacing mine.
I don't recall. It wasn't an interstate battery. It also lasted a little over 4 years.
Old 01-31-16, 03:13 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by USCRugby

Well that's why they said your battery was fine the first time they tested it, because they didn't want to pro rate it.

There's two ways to test a battery, with a scanner or a carbon pile tester. The scanner is much easier on the battery and you get a lot of "false passes" with it. The carbon pile will absolutely kill a weak battery and it will fail.

Glad your problem is solved...one other thing...these cars are hard on batteries and it takes a battery that is fully charged to crank these cars.
Old 01-31-16, 04:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Glad your problem is solved...one other thing...these cars are hard on batteries and it takes a battery that is fully charged to crank these cars.
Agreed. So, 4 years out of a battery is not too bad. The AC Delco Professional Gold battery I purchased comes with 42 month free replacement and pro rated after that for something like 84 months.
Old 01-31-16, 06:08 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Agreed. So, 4 years out of a battery is not too bad. The AC Delco Professional Gold battery I purchased comes with 42 month free replacement and pro rated after that for something like 84 months.
Pro rated is key with these cars, I believe I just bought a battery with a two year warranty and pro rated for four. My last battery lasted 2 years (Interstate).
Old 02-02-16, 03:31 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm using the Optima Yellow top 34/78
Old 02-03-16, 06:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I'm using the Optima Yellow top 34/78
How long have you owned it and any issues? All the car forums are bemoaning them, due to early failures and issues. Apparently ever since they moved production to Mexico. There's been quite a few posts here at CL with similar issues.
Old 02-03-16, 10:23 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Original Battery...

I'm still on the original Panasonic on my 2010. The car was actually driven off the lot at the end of 2009. Still going. When I bought the car near Thanksgiving 2014, the dealer that inspected said the same thing ... "needs a battery." 1.25 years later, no battery problems.
Old 02-03-16, 10:49 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I'm still on the original Panasonic on my 2010. The car was actually driven off the lot at the end of 2009. Still going. When I bought the car near Thanksgiving 2014, the dealer that inspected said the same thing ... "needs a battery." 1.25 years later, no battery problems.
Sounds like these cars are "real hard on batteries." When they tell you you need a new battery, it is often based on the State Of Charge becoming low. When the SOC is low it has less reserve power and may not allow you to operate accessories for a long time when the engine is not running.
Old 02-03-16, 11:14 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
How long have you owned it and any issues? All the car forums are bemoaning them, due to early failures and issues. Apparently ever since they moved production to Mexico. There's been quite a few posts here at CL with similar issues.
I used to run a red top as recommended by the shop but after burning one every year for 3 straight years I gave up and went with an Interstate MegaTron Plus and although I've had to replace it once I'm very happy with the performance.

I'd like to hear more feedback on the yellow tops as well though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Startup Problems