LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Startup Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 11:17 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Sounds like these cars are "real hard on batteries." When they tell you you need a new battery, it is often based on the State Of Charge becoming low. When the SOC is low it has less reserve power and may not allow you to operate accessories for a long time when the engine is not running.
Interesting...
When I was recently told by the dealership that my battery failed the load test, I kind of thought it strange because my car had not exhibited any signs that the battery was weak. None.
But I was away on a road trip and didn't wish to leave anything to chance, as I've read that you can turn the car off, then go to turn it back on and get nothing. So I gave the go ahead to replace the battery.
It was the original Panny from 8/07, and im wondering if the battery really needed to be replaced.
Old 02-03-16, 11:20 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Interesting...
When I was recently told by the dealership that my battery failed the load test, I kind of thought it strange because my car had not exhibited any signs that the battery was weak. None.
But I was away on a road trip and didn't wish to leave anything to chance, as I've read that you can turn the car off, then go to turn it back on and get nothing. So I gave the go ahead to replace the battery.
It was the original Panny from 8/07, and im wondering if the battery really needed to be replaced.
I think all the electronics and constant monitoring take a toll on all LSs. Therefore I've come to expect any battery I buy should last me 3-4 years max regardless of the build or warranty.
Old 02-03-16, 11:40 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I think all the electronics and constant monitoring take a toll on all LSs. Therefore I've come to expect any battery I buy should last me 3-4 years max regardless of the build or warranty.

Oh- I absolutely agree regarding that time table as it relates to car batteries.
My state of inquiry is a result of reading older threads about the original battery in the LS and how they've lasted, and the discussions being centralized around the original OEM battery being a Panasonic and how it generally seemed to perform better than any other battery available for the LS.
In another battery thread, I had made a detailed comment recounting something I was told by a SA at the Lexus dealership who has worked for Lexus in the NE - New York area as well as the south; SC and Atlanta.
Now, how much credence can be given to his observations I’m not sure, but interesting none the less.
Old 02-05-16, 12:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

My original Panny lasted almost 6 years before I replaced it with the AC Delco.
Old 02-05-16, 12:49 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 2010 RX350 I took it in for an oil change a couple years ago and was warned the battery was going...though I had zero issues. Car started fine. Month or two later I go out to start my car and nothing. Battery was dead! Replaced it. Sometimes they can limp along, other times they just die completely. Best to just replace.
Old 02-06-16, 03:35 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

My LS was starting fine even on cold mornings. I was inside my car listening to the radio for about 15 minutes and I heard that dreaded clicking sound when I tried to start my car. It would not start and I got a boost. My LS continued to start normally after the boost for a few weeks and it did it again while I was listening to the radio. I had my battery checked and it was bad. I was surprised how it would start on a cold morning but listening to the radio for a few minutes would drain it. The new battery solved my problems.
Old 02-10-16, 12:16 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
How long have you owned it and any issues? All the car forums are bemoaning them, due to early failures and issues. Apparently ever since they moved production to Mexico. There's been quite a few posts here at CL with similar issues.
The Yellow only has 1 year in service, but I have a red top in a Honda that's at least 5 years old.