LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sticky Dashboards 2007 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 01:07 PM
rbowen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sticky Dashboards 2007 LS460

Lexus has treated its loyal owners shamefully! I have owned or leased 7 Lexus cars and suvs over the last 9 years. I kept this model for my Florida car. The dashboard and side panels started to deteriorate and feel sticky to the touch. In January 2015 Lexus finally admitted it was a design flaw and they would graciously extend the warranty to cover the replacement. I promptly went to the dealer in March 2015 to schedule a replacement. I am STILL WAITING. The dealer informs me they receive two per month and not always one for the LS (they have a list of 800 RX's). When I called Lexus they offered no answer and went on ad nauseam about how they underestimated the issue. How about the economic loss of diminished value, which they quickly tell you "Not Covered by Warranty". I will now shop for a better product.
Old 01-29-16, 01:08 PM
rbowen
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Sticky Dashboards 2007 LS460

Lexus has treated its loyal owners shamefully! I have owned or lease 7 Lexus cars and suvs over the last 9 years. I kept this model for my Florida car. The dashboard and side panels started to deteriorate and feel sticky to the touch. In January 2015 Lexus finally admitted it was a design flaw and they would graciously extend the warranty to cover the replacement. I promptly went to the dealer in March 2015 to schedule a replacement. I am STILL WAITING. The dealer informs me they receive two per month and not always one for the LS (they have a list of 800 RX's). When I called Lexus they offered no answer and went on ad nauseam about how they underestimated the issue. How about the economic loss of dimished value, which they quickly tell you "Not Covered by Warranty". I will now shop for a better product.
Old 01-29-16, 01:16 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

First I've heard of it. Did you just join CL to complain about this and give up on Lexus?
Old 01-29-16, 01:20 PM
krypto89
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

my dealer originally told me that i could wait up to a year. then i got a surprise after one month that the panels were received. he said that it depends on the color because another person he is working with had his panels ordered six months prior to mine and is still waiting...
Old 01-29-16, 06:29 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

YES! There is a sticky dash problem and Lexus knows about it. I suggest calling Lexus at (800)255-3987 and get on the list. You can bash Lexus all day long on this forum, but it gets you nowhere....... So be proactive and call them.
BTW! Some Toyotas also have this problem.
Old 01-29-16, 06:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I will now shop for a better product
Such as????? Must be a VERY short list.
Old 01-30-16, 09:28 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

I have asked this many times, most recently regarding RX door handles (in a thread that was a remarkable display of irrational statements, but I digress): how many car manufacturers other than Lexus will offer this type of warranty extension on trim-related issues on vehicles that are pushing or exceeding a decade in age?

I sympathize with the OP's position and concern, of having to wait, etc., but let's put things in perspective here. Manufacturers can and do get bad batches from suppliers, and stuff like this can happen.

I have no recollection of Jeep rushing to cover cracking of the ****ty leather seats on my top-of-the-line, 8-month-old GC, Acura rushing to cover a rattling, deformed dashboard in a 2-year-old POS TL Type S, Mercedes rushing to address embarrassing fit issues in its 1st-gen ML, etc. Yes, the LS460 is arguably in a different class, but it's still an old car, and Lexus will take care of it. That, to me, is the difference between Lexus and the other guys: the way they handle problems, provided that you can have a little patience.
Old 01-30-16, 09:50 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Interesting first post. Must be a BMW owner. lol

I was told from Corporate that the 2007 year was under the replacement dash and door panel recall. Why his particular one isn't, is beyond me. A simple call to Lexus would reveal the answer.

Good luck with that Cadillac.
Old 01-30-16, 10:46 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

ANY manufacturer can get a bad electronic component or part from a supplier, it does not make them a bad manufacturer. Lexus will get the problem resolved and IF anyone wants to buy another brand of car go right ahead and remember that they may also recieve a bad part from their supplier.
Some guys are dealing with a cracking moon roof gasket and ANYONE can see that the gasket is made from a bad batch of rubber from the moon roof supplier, It does NOT make Lexus a bad company....... Lexus would be a bad company IF they replaced the part with a known bad production run of the part.
Does anyone remember the Firestone tires on Ford Explorers, Rapid Accereration on Audi, Peeling paint??...... Chit happens!!!
Old 01-30-16, 11:28 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Interesting first post. Must be a BMW owner. lol

I was told from Corporate that the 2007 year was under the replacement dash and door panel recall. Why his particular one isn't, is beyond me. A simple call to Lexus would reveal the answer.

Good luck with that Cadillac.
Well he has owned 7 Lexuses in 9 years and clearly never bothered to join early about how those served him well. Just decided to complain here on his introduction to say goodbye. Very odd if you ask me. Is this the parts guy at BMW having fun?
Old 01-31-16, 07:09 AM
rbowen
Driver School Candidate

All comments very amusing, however, I had nothing to complain about that was as serious as this. The diminished value alone is enough to cause concern. No, I am not a BMW owner and still own three Lexus. While Lexus has acknowledged the issue it was only after several class action suits to force them to offer some resolution. It does not mean they will get this done in my lifetime. They should step up production otherwise it is an "empty warranty".
Old 01-31-16, 07:17 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rbowen
All comments very amusing, however, I had nothing to complain about that was as serious as this. The diminished value alone is enough to cause concern. No, I am not a BMW owner and still own three Lexus. While Lexus has acknowledged the issue it was only after several class action suits to force them to offer some resolution. It does not mean they will get this done in my lifetime. They should step up production otherwise it is an "empty warranty".
Perhaps you could try speaking to another dealership? Perhaps a call to Corporate with a good attitude might get you further along. I've always had great success going that route.
Old 01-31-16, 07:50 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can empathize. If it were my car, I would surely want it fixed soon too. I would just call Lexus corporate (as others have suggested) and express your displeasure in a nice, non-confrontational manner. Trust me that you will go farther being firm but polite than screaming at them.

Also, I remember my dad's infamous Toyota Tercel from 30+ years ago. Even back then the dash material was rather poor and it fell apart. Of course, that car was his "beater" and parked outside for its entire life without much care (i.e., no armor all or anything else to protect or shield it), but it did degrade and fall apart rather quickly and by the time he finally got rid of it at 200k miles, the foam core was clearly showing on many locations lol.

There must be some long-time supplier they use that is really close with Toyota's head honcos, allowing them to sell them this rather poorly designed or manufactured item or the Toyota engineers just specify something that might offer good benefits to something, but sacrifice something else.

Originally Posted by rbowen
Old 01-31-16, 09:56 AM
rbowen
Driver School Candidate

Yes I did call and they were courteous and offered $150 gift certificate toward future service. I am still waiting one year for the part to be sent..
Old 01-31-16, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I have to agree, I can't envision another company providing a replacement for a product as old a 9 years old...

There won't be any diminished value once the new parts are installed. Why would there be diminished value?

Quick Reply: Sticky Dashboards 2007 LS460