LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any news on the LS redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-16, 06:33 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any news on the LS redesign?

I am holding out for a new LS until it is redesigned. The last information on the redesign was a scheduled 2017 model.

Recently I was in my local dealership and asked the sales manager if he heard anything. He stated it would not be until 2018 or 2019. He also said the last redesign was in 2013, which to me was minor updates to the current model and not a redesign.

I am hoping he doesn't know what he is talking about and was interested if anyone has reliable information on a new model.
Old 01-20-16, 07:17 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here. Sold my 2007, waiting on the redesign to get a new one. Meanwhile, just bought a muscle car. 9 years since the last major LS redesign, it's time.
Old 01-20-16, 07:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The LS should be all new for 2017. Read the forum, the concept is out.
Old 01-20-16, 10:04 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Will probably come in 2017 sometime as a 2018 model.
Old 01-23-16, 06:42 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I honestly don't think the LF-FC is the LS concept, although that's just my opinion. First, going from concept to production in that short of a time frame doesn't seem realistic. The LC500 concept was out in 2012 I think and it took them five years to bring that to the forefront. The LF-FC was just introduced in 2014? so I don't think that's enough time for a 2017 production run.

I think the FC concept we see is a top-shelf 2x2 four-door coupe, along the lines of the CLS, A-7 and 6 series four-door coupes and not in fact, the next LS slated for a later release. This will mean Lexus will have three vehicles sitting at the top of its class, a coupe (LC500), a four-door coupe (LF-FC) and the new LS, whatever it is.

The new LS might be fairly benign in fact, but who knows, I could be dead wrong.

Here's my guess on what the new LS might be:

1. 5.0 liter engine
2. One wheel base, probably longer than the SWB but maybe slightly shorter than the LWB.
3. Which means, it might be on a totally different platform.
4. Design cues from the new GS in regards to front and rear styling (hope not, especially the rear), although we may see a further evolution of the grill, hopefully along the lines of the LC500 in regards to how much more flush it is. This will include the "NIKE" lights moving below the headlight assembly. I hope the rear taillights don't stick outside the edges of the body frame, though. God I hope not.
5. Revised interior, possibly along the lines of the LC500. This includes revised instrument cluster, different interface, etc.

Again, just a WILD GUESS and frankly, I'm probably wrong, but hey, in a few months I will either look like an idiot or a genius, lol!
Old 01-23-16, 08:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shambler
I honestly don't think the LF-FC is the LS concept, although that's just my opinion. First, going from concept to production in that short of a time frame doesn't seem realistic.
When the LS460 came out in 2006 the concept and production car were that close together. I'm 99.9% confident that the LF-FC is the new LS.
Old 01-24-16, 02:09 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though there has been information about a redesign for 2017, those came out around 2015 and very little if anything has been shown or noted since then.

It's really too bad Lexus is dragging their feet on this. The LS is in danger of becoming a non-factor in the luxury sedan class. Similar to the Acura RL, although Acura never addressed the lack of interior room. Acura waited so long to do their redesign, buyers just moved on to other makes.
Old 01-24-16, 03:03 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
When the LS460 came out in 2006 the concept and production car were that close together. I'm 99.9% confident that the LF-FC is the new LS.
The LF-Sh (the 2006 concept) wasn't really a concept; but a way to preview the new LS in Tokyo without breaking the tradition of doing it at the NAIAS in Detroit (where coincidentally every LS has had its worldwide premiere). Take away the grille; the front lights and the wheels and the LF-Sh is a SWB LS 460. Probably the reason why they didn't show an interior that year. 3 months later the production LS bowed in Detroit.

That didn't happen this year. The LF-FC reveal was different; they did show an interior and the car is physically wider and longer than the current LS (which rumors say will not grow much for the new version whenever it comes out). So they either have to launch the car in Geneva or New York or wait until next winter. I don't seem them dropping a model like this without the press following of a major auto show.

So I guess there are 2 possible scenarios:

1) The LF-FC is the new LS, with some hair and makeup and a FC powertrain. Obviously the front and rear facias aren't going to pass muster with DOT and perhaps the fenders have been widened; but this is the new LS platform hiding under a concept shell with a prototype FC powertrain.

2) The LF-FC represents and entirely new model line (like the Mirai) which will be FC only. This makes sense because of the packaging compromises inherent in an FC vehicle (need for massive fuel tanks; no engine, etc). Toyota has stated it's desire to bring a FC vehicle to the Lexus lineup before the 2020 Tokyo Olympics; so this is their current vision of that car. It may or may not share platform bits with the next LS.

I'm not sure which option to believe. I'm guessing that if they show it this year it would be at the NY Auto show in April (which would mean a fall sales start); but if they don't show it there I'm guessing we're a year away. So it could launch next spring as a late 2017/early 2018 model.

Anyway it can't come soon enough. The current LS, while a great car, badly needs an update to keep it competitive. The BMW 7 series has had 3 separate models on sale during the lifespan of the current LS.
Old 01-24-16, 04:28 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The only reason I think the FC is not the new LS is because of the designation. While I'm not intimately familiar with Lexus' prototype nomenclature, I always presumed the last 'C' meant coupe, albeit it could be a four-door coupe. Maybe I'm reading too much into their naming convention.

The only certainty is the engine IMO, the 5 liter, 467 HP engine, which is actually more than the S550 4.7 liter biturbo at 449 HP. Kind of impressive if you look at that alone. I also think they will dump the multiple wheelbases and just go with the long one. I think Mercedes and BMW both dumped multiple wheelbases recently or some years ago.

Styling is another thing entirely. I just don't see the FC being it and it's not because of the way it looks, but from one simple clue I got from the pictures: how would they fit any executive seating package in that rear with the short back? The dimensions just seem off for a sedan versus a four-door coupe.

Last edited by Rhambler; 01-24-16 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 05:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJA1951
The LS is in danger of becoming a non-factor in the luxury sedan class. Similar to the Acura RL, although Acura never addressed the lack of interior room. Acura waited so long to do their redesign, buyers just moved on to other makes.
Again we need a reality check here. The LS is still #3 in sales in the large luxury car segment, the only cars that outsell it are the S Class and 7 Series, both of which are new. Before the new 7 came out the LS traded #2/#3 slots with the 7. So to say that the LS is going to become like the RL isn't a realistic concern.

The RL was never a strong selling car. The LS will be fine.
Old 01-26-16, 05:58 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd put a shift **** down on the LF-FC being a thinly disguised version of the new LS. Proportions are clearly more aggressive than the current car, but the greater length allows for L-like rear seat room anyway -- look at some LF-FC interior pictures. The new LS will also be sharing a lot of hardware with the new LC, which has a similar look to the LF-FC.

As usual, the design of the front and rear fascias and the interior will be far more conservative, there will be real door handles and mirrors, there won't be a $5000 unobtainium paint job, and there will be a wheel/tire package sized for real-world use.
Old 01-26-16, 11:36 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
there won't be a $5000 unobtainium paint job
Is that all it costs? GIMMIE GIMMIE.

I'll agree with you that the styling is probably a close cousin; but the LF-FC is just too big to be the next LS. Japanese cars are taxed based on size; and at 208" by 78" it's just too big. That would make it practically Maybach sized.

I find the 4LS a challenging car to park; and making it wider and longer isn't going to help that. I'm guessing the front grille will be reigned in a little bit and the fenders probably hemmed in a little bit. But the greenhouse and basic shape I think would be pretty close; they aren't that far away from the current car.

I would guess the SWB car will continue in other markets; and it was the majority of sales in the first few years here so I'd be surprised if they pulled it. MB dumped the SWB S Class in 2000 and BMW with the new 7; but Audi still sells SWB cars here. MB usually only sold the cheapest 6 cylinder (and early the 400SE) in SWB form so when the range went V8 only it made sense to dump it. But both lengths are still sold by BMW and MB in Europe and Japan.

I know Toyota wants to reduce it's platforms to 5 with TNGA; so if this and the LC go onto the same platform the car could get lower and wider. And maybe sportier. But they probably won't share that many parts; although Lexus has already trademarked LS500 and LS500h in other markets so the 5.0L V8 is I would guess a certainty along with a hybrid variant.

I wonder if they will kill the 600h. Lexus sells a GS 300h and GS450h abroad so they could keep it. Pairing the 467hp V8 with another 50hp or so makes a 510 hp hybrid beast.

I WANT.
Old 01-27-16, 05:43 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im pretty confident the next LS will be a 2017 model, and that the LF-FC is a sneak peek at the next LS.. if anyone hasn't noticed, lexus really isn't watering down there production versions anymore. they are pretty close to what we actually get, infact it seems like the production versions in some cases actually look BETTER than the concepts! I will say this, the Ls460 is a beautiful car, but its really time for it to go. and based on the design cycles of the LS, we will be getting one in 2017 cause that will be a solid ten year run. the LS400 lasted 10 years, the 430 lasted 5, the 460 will last 10 years so I assume the LS500 will last 5 if the cycle continues as it has historically. in my opinion the 460 hasn't changed much in its 10 year run exept some front/rear cosmetic refresh, a different dash and center console and wheels.. looking at the side profile of a 2007 460 and a 2016 460 its almost impossible to tell them apart, and other things have stayed identical for the ENTIRE run, like the door panels for example.

seriously, its time. the LS460 has had its time. time for the next one.
Old 01-28-16, 11:58 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Again we need a reality check here. The LS is still #3 in sales in the large luxury car segment, the only cars that outsell it are the S Class and 7 Series, both of which are new. Before the new 7 came out the LS traded #2/#3 slots with the 7. So to say that the LS is going to become like the RL isn't a realistic concern.

The RL was never a strong selling car. The LS will be fine.
Stop making sense....
Old 01-28-16, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Stop making sense....
Just a funny aside, I was at the car show the other day, and guess which flagship car had the most attention? Believe it or not, the ol LS. There was a line of people to sit in it, it was an atomic silver/flaxen F Sport. The S Class was second, but I was kind of surprised that it didn't attract more attention. The A8 and the new 7 just sat in a corner and nobody really gave them the time of day.

One guy asked the girl if it was an all new model.

My point is not to say the LS doesn't need to be redone because it does, but its still an attractive car...the redone model will be fine.

Quick Reply: Any news on the LS redesign?