LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Rims on LS460 F sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 08:46 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Again, that's why I put "black chrome" in parenthesis. The nomenclature is often intermingled or used across different things.

"Hyper Black" or "Hyper Silver" could all mean the same thing depending on who you ask or how a company decides to label it.

I also assumed they PVD chromed his rims as a base, although they very well could have traditionally chromed it. No idea.

In any case, "PVD Black Chrome" to me, looks very similar in some instances to a typical three-stage "hyper black."
Old 02-07-16, 08:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler

In any case, "PVD Black Chrome" to me, looks very similar in some instances to a typical three-stage "hyper black."
I don't see that at all...to me chrome finishes and painted finished look very different.
Old 02-07-16, 08:53 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Interesting. Thanks for sharing: PVD Chrome base with a "smoke" top.

You ever think about going gloss-black base with a hyper silver finish?

Go here: I think HRE's finishes are some of the best. I personally really like their brushed tinted clear, brushed dark clear and my favorite, brushed titanium, although I have no idea how those finishes are done. I don't believe any of those are multi-stage, although they might be.

http://www.hrewheels.com/gallery

Also, those BBS rims that I like are hyper black. Gloss black base with a hyper silver finish or top coat, then clear coat.

Here is another example of a "black chrome." To me, at least from the photos, it looks very similar to the hyper black. No idea if this one is a chrome base. Seems more of a dark base with a hyper silver or even chrome top coat. The complete opposite.

Hope you get it worked out.
Thanks for the input!

I wanted something similar the the BBS wheels you posted here. Even slightly darker would be ideal. It's probably not going to be a month or so until I get them redone, so I have ample time to research. Then again, I went back and forth on colors prior to getting them done, and they turned out PURPLE! LOL...That's all I can do about it now.
Old 02-07-16, 09:01 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well good luck.

That finish is a three-stage "Hyper Black." Gloss black as a base coat then finished with a silver hyper coat, then clear coat. The "hyper" top coat is the important part I would imagine in terms of how it is done. Put more and it becomes lighter. Less and it's darker. The tint, "reflectivity" and gloss of the hyper silver will also have a variance I would imagine on the finished product.

I've struggled over this more than I care to admit. I also enjoy that finish a lot as well: looks darker in low-light conditions and has that slightly silver sheen in light. One thing I've learned is that there really is no one-fit "hyper black," "black chrome," "dark silver," "gloss gunmetal," I mean, it's almost all the same and confusing.

Good luck! I'm sure it will work out in the end.
Old 02-08-16, 09:57 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT

Before...

After. Not too happy with the results. The finish was supposed to be black chrome, but it's not even close! At night & in the shade, it's a gloss black. In direct sunlight, it's freakin purple! Wheels came out completely opposite of the display sample they had at the shop. Luckily, I have multiple bubbles & imperfections on all wheels, so they're going to redo under warranty.

Gloss purple.
Geez that's horrible! Your wheels were chrome from the dealership right? Looks as if they just ran a coat over it and tried to pass it off as a 2 step process. Hope to hear a positive outcome here. If all else fails I'm guessing you'd be able to strip it all off and powdercoat them black like the Crafted models.
Old 02-08-16, 09:58 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

And PS did you wrap your handles and smoke your tails?
Old 02-08-16, 10:56 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
And PS did you wrap your handles and smoke your tails?
I haven't wrapped handles or done anything to tails. I'm probably going to leave them as is. If anything, I'll get the roof wrapped in black gloss vinyl. I followed a DIY smoke emblems on my RX last night & it came out great! I'm going to smoke out the rear L & LS460 tonight.

As for the wheels, my friend had his MBZ PC with same finish on the same day & his also came out deep purple. He called and spoke to owner this morning, who stated that the purple was an error & he will redo the wheels.

I'm not going for the blacked out look, so now I'm back to square 1 on what type of finish I want. Def want a glossy gunmetal finish similar to the F sport badges. The crafted line blacked out wheels do look good, but just not my taste for this car. I had blacked out wheels on my 3rd gen TL & I'm over that look now. Wanting something refined, classy & a finish that Lexus doesn't roll off their assembly line.

Should I smoke the horizontal chrome trim to match the L?

Last edited by XF40FSPORT; 02-08-16 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding pics.
Old 02-08-16, 11:21 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I haven't wrapped handles or done anything to tails. I'm probably going to leave them as is. If anything, I'll get the roof wrapped in black gloss vinyl. I followed a DIY smoke emblems on my RX last night & it came out great! I'm going to smoke out the rear L & LS460 tonight.

As for the wheels, my friend had his MBZ PC with same finish on the same day & his also came out deep purple. He called and spoke to owner this morning, who stated that the purple was an error & he will redo the wheels.

I'm not going for the blacked out look, so now I'm back to square 1 on what type of finish I want. Def want a glossy gunmetal finish similar to the F sport badges. The crafted line blacked out wheels do look good, but just not my taste for this car. I had blacked out wheels on my 3rd gen TL & I'm over that look now. Wanting something refined, classy & a finish that Lexus doesn't roll off their assembly line.

Should I smoke the horizontal chrome trim to match the L?
Well I guess it's just shadows in the pic but it looks like the handles are black. I only suggested the black as the easiest solution to fix your wheels.

I'm curious why you and your friend remounted your tires after the wheels didn't come out right? I would've assumed you'd reject them and have them fix them immediately saving you the hassles of mounting & balancing the tires and onto the car as well.

Either way I do hope you get it resolved and I look forward to seeing your one of a kind wheels in the near future.
Old 02-08-16, 11:33 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Well I guess it's just shadows in the pic but it looks like the handles are black. I only suggested the black as the easiest solution to fix your wheels.

I'm curious why you and your friend remounted your tires after the wheels didn't come out right? I would've assumed you'd reject them and have them fix them immediately saving you the hassles of mounting & balancing the tires and onto the car as well.

Either way I do hope you get it resolved and I look forward to seeing your one of a kind wheels in the near future.
We dropped off our cars early in the morning & came back after sunset. They remounted tires before we got back to shop & bcuz of low visibility, we weren't able to inspect wheels prior to driving off the lot. It wasn't until the next morning we realized they were purple.

In hindsight, I would've chose a simple 1 step PC process of which my wheels would've been completed during the day & allowing me to inspect prior to them remounting wheels. O well. My wife will roll around in a white car w/ purple wheels unti I get them changed.

Last edited by XF40FSPORT; 02-08-16 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-08-16, 12:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

We dropped off our cars early in the morning & came back after sunset. They remounted tires before we got back to shop & bcuz of low visibility, we weren't able to inspect wheels prior to driving off the lot. It wasn't until the next morning we realized they were purple.

In hindsight, I would've chose a simple 1 step PC process of which my wheels would've been completed during the day & allowing me to inspect prior to them remounting wheels. O well. My wife will roll around in a white car w/ purple wheels unti I get them changed.
Got it. I'm used to dropping off my parts for powder coating. That's nice and convenient and would be perfect if they did what you wanted.

Sucks for your wife though...
Old 02-08-16, 12:43 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Got it. I'm used to dropping off my parts for powder coating. That's nice and convenient and would be perfect if they did what you wanted.

Sucks for your wife though...
She doesn't mind. She's not detail oriented, so it doesn't bug her.

I guess the only positive that comes w/ me having to drive 2 hours and getting them redone is the shop has a keg of beer!

Dude, like you said in an earlier post, if you lived closer and traded me your base 19" for the chromes, I would've never gone through this ordeal...c'est la vie.
Old 02-08-16, 12:47 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

She doesn't mind. She's not detail oriented, so it doesn't bug her.

I guess the only positive that comes w/ me having to drive 2 hours and getting them redone is the shop has a keg of beer!

Dude, like you said in an earlier post, if you lived closer and traded me your base 19" for the chromes, I would've never gone through this ordeal...c'est la vie.

Old 02-08-16, 01:01 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Both are nice and clean. Love the chrome wheels.
Old 02-08-16, 01:11 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Both are nice and clean. Love the chrome wheels.
Yeah I'm a sucker for factory chrome wheels...
The following users liked this post:
Caflashbob (10-13-22)
Old 02-19-16, 03:26 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

So, after a horrible 1st experience getting my wheels PC to Black Chrome, they came out dark PURPLE! I contacted the shop, and they immediately agreed to redo them to a finish of my choice.

I didn't want to gamble mixing 2 colors again, so I went with Anthracite Metallic w/ a semi gloss finish.

All in all, I'm much happier w/ the new color. However, the previous finish kind of grew on me ( when they weren't under direct sunlight, they were a gloss black). I like the contrast of a white car w/ black wheels. It screamed bold, aggressive, & sporty! If I ever get bored w/ the new color, I can always grab a can of plasti dip, just not anytime in the near future.

Anyways, lmk what ya'll think.

Thanks.

Going to change center caps to red BBS to make a little more sporty!

Quick night shot after I picked her up from the shop last night.

Quick Reply: Factory Rims on LS460 F sport