LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Rims on LS460 F sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 10:38 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sessayan
I am thinking the same color as my current rims.

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/se....jpg.html?o=10
I like that color!

I have a white '13 F-Sport & i'm getting the wheels (currently chrome ) powder coated next week either in gunmetal, anthracite, or hyper black.

I'm leaning more towards the gunmetal & anthracite(both in semi gloss), as I feel it will compliment the grayish F Sport badges.

I'll def post pics up on this thread when they're done
Old 01-26-16, 01:06 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by XF40FSPORT
I like that color!

I have a white '13 F-Sport & i'm getting the wheels (currently chrome ) powder coated next week either in gunmetal, anthracite, or hyper black.

I'm leaning more towards the gunmetal & anthracite(both in semi gloss), as I feel it will compliment the grayish F Sport badges.

I like the chrome actually but only because we have so many chrome accents on the car as it is. Like the window surround, grill surround, lower door moulding etc. If there wasn't any chrome I'd agree but I think with the thin spoked wheels it actually matches.
Old 01-26-16, 01:56 PM
sessayan
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that color!

Cant wait!!!!
Old 01-26-16, 03:01 PM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
I like the chrome actually but only because we have so many chrome accents on the car as it is. Like the window surround, grill surround, lower door moulding etc. If there wasn't any chrome I'd agree but I think with the thin spoked wheels it actually matches.
Agreed! It def flows well with the chrome accents, however, IMPO there's too much "blingy" chrome on our cars. That said, I'll prob get all chrome accents (except front grill bcuz that's the only chrome trim that I like) wrapped in vinyl.

I've been modding cars for roughly 17 yrs, & chrome never appealed to me, but to each his own.

That would be awesome if you were closer to me. I would save $500!!!!
Old 01-27-16, 09:42 AM
sessayan
Driver School Candidate

I agree with getting all the chrome wrapped. Would love my car totally blacked out. Who does that and do they have to pull the chrome off to do it ? I hate folks taking apart my car. They never seem to go back together the same!
Old 01-27-16, 10:04 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't black out my car personally. I think it would make it look like a narc from the impound. I like the subtle classy touched Lexus has made. That's black of course. With any other color I think you'd be able to create a different effect. I've seen blacked out S classes drive by and wondered "is that a Chrysler?!?". Of course to each their own.
Old 01-27-16, 10:27 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sessayan
I agree with getting all the chrome wrapped. Would love my car totally blacked out. Who does that and do they have to pull the chrome off to do it ? I hate folks taking apart my car. They never seem to go back together the same!
Are you located in SoCal? If so, there's a guy named Don Nguyen (google "Don Nguyen Vinyl") who works out of Anaheim Hills that does vinyl work for all types of high end cars: MBZ, BMW, Lexus, etc. I was quoted about $250 to get the roof wrapped in 3M black glossy vinyl. Damn cheap considering I was quoted upwards to $700 in my local area (Palm Springs) for the same type of vinyl.

I've emailed him a couple times, and he's prompt on replying.

Oh yeah, After hours & days of searching for colors for my wheels, I think I'm set on Tiger Drylac Argento 314 Metallic. I have an appointment to get them powder coated next Friday!!
Old 01-29-16, 03:18 PM
sessayan
Driver School Candidate

Are you located in SoCal? If so, there's a guy named Don Nguyen (google "Don Nguyen Vinyl") who works out of Anaheim Hills that does vinyl work for all types of high end cars: MBZ, BMW, Lexus, etc. I was quoted about $250 to get the roof wrapped in 3M black glossy vinyl. Damn cheap considering I was quoted upwards to $700 in my local area (Palm Springs) for the same type of vinyl.

I've emailed him a couple times, and he's prompt on replying.

Oh yeah, After hours & days of searching for colors for my wheels, I think I'm set on Tiger Drylac Argento 314 Metallic. I have an appointment to get them powder coated next Friday!!
I am and i will google him and check it out! Thanks for the tip. i am about an hour from Anaheim hills.
Old 01-29-16, 05:26 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

He's on here too BTW
Old 02-07-16, 07:49 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Before...

After. Not too happy with the results. The finish was supposed to be black chrome, but it's not even close! At night & in the shade, it's a gloss black. In direct sunlight, it's freakin purple! Wheels came out completely opposite of the display sample they had at the shop. Luckily, I have multiple bubbles & imperfections on all wheels, so they're going to redo under warranty.

Gloss purple.
Old 02-07-16, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Terrible! Where did you have them done?
Old 02-07-16, 07:59 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just curious how they do that?

I've been researching a lot about HYPER finishes and PVD "Black Chrome" falls under that category from what I've read. All variations of the same theme.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=792664

Hyper Black is typically a gloss-black base coat then finished with a hyper bright, glossy silver spray. Variations of this depends on the base-coat color. It can be a lighter or darker base coat finished with a hyper silver top coat. It is a multi-stage process that takes time. Three coats typically, base coat, hyper coat and clear coat.

Did they do the same for your wheels categorized as "Black Chrome?" What color base coat and hyper coat did they use? You should ask them.

If you are after that blacked-out look, I would just go straight gloss black. If you are after that OEM darker silver look ("Hyper Black"), I would suggest the type of finishes suggested in the E46 forum. Also, brushed titanium, brushed dark clear are darker/silver finishes that look nice. Go to HRE's website and gallery section and in the pull-down menu are color examples.

Last edited by Rhambler; 02-07-16 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-07-16, 08:09 AM
XF40FSPORT
Intermediate

Primo Powder coat in Huntington Beach, CA.

They explained "their" version of black chrome having a chrome base coat & a smoke top coat. 2 step process having to go in oven after each coat.

The sample they had, resembled a typical black chrome finish that was darker at night & had a gunmetal finish in direct sunlight.

I'm changing the color when I get them redone. Thinking of an anthracite with a gloss finish, similar to the Fsport badges. I'm open to suggestions for color options too.

Last edited by XF40FSPORT; 02-07-16 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 08:20 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting. Thanks for sharing: PVD Chrome base with a "smoke" top.

You ever think about going gloss-black base with a hyper silver finish?

Go here: I think HRE's finishes are some of the best. I personally really like their brushed tinted clear, brushed dark clear and my favorite, brushed titanium, although I have no idea how those finishes are done. I don't believe any of those are multi-stage, although they might be.

http://www.hrewheels.com/gallery

Also, those BBS rims that I like are hyper black. Gloss black base with a hyper silver finish or top coat, then clear coat.

Here is another example of a "black chrome." To me, at least from the photos, it looks very similar to the hyper black. No idea if this one is a chrome base. Seems more of a dark base with a hyper silver or even chrome top coat. The complete opposite.

Hope you get it worked out.

Last edited by Rhambler; 02-07-16 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-07-16, 08:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Here is another example of a "black chrome." To me, at least from the photos, it looks very similar to the hyper black. No idea if this one is a chrome base. Seems more of a dark base with a hyper silver or even chrome top coat. The complete opposite.

This isn't what we're talking about when we're talking about PVD black chrome. PVD wheels have a chrome finish, not a painted finish.

This is a bright chrome PVD finish:

And a black chrome PVD finish:

PVD is a powder coated finish, but its a chrome look finish not a painted finish.

Quick Reply: Factory Rims on LS460 F sport