LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS 460 AWD research and questions.

Old 01-15-16, 12:46 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
I have both, a 2012 AWD and 2011 RWD Sport. The difference in acceleration is noticeable, about 1/2 second - but the tradeoff is no wheelspin on launch and a bit more of a "planted" feel especially accelerating out of corners. Highway MPG is 1-2 less in the AWD. The AWD has a slightly higher final drive ratio so highway cruise RPM is about 200RPM higher at a given speed.

The oil dipstick had to be moved to the rear of the engine for AWD, same reason as the HP decrease - packaging.
Funny, I had noticed the difference in the final drive ratio in the official spec sheet, but this is one thing I didn't look at when I had the AWD car (a brand new 2012 which I had for an entire week-and-a-half). 200 rpm isn't too bad.

And 0.5 seconds is, interestingly, the "official" difference in 0-60 times according to the same spec sheet I saw - the one I linked to earlier (when someone else called BS on my making the same acceleration claim ).
Old 01-16-16, 08:01 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks, glad to help! The AWD is actually the most satisfying to launch from stoplights (even though that is a wee bit out of character for this car, and it surprises people to see an LS driven hard). You punch it and the front end pitches up, no wheelspin, and BOOM, you are gone. The acceleration after that is less strong than in the RWD, but the AWD will beat the RWD at launch and up to about 30MPH every time. The other neat thing is that it will still launch like that in the rain...
Old 01-17-16, 08:39 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man good to see you're making your way over here lol. I remember reading a few of your DIY threads they were always good write ups. I recently transitioned over from my 430 into a '12 460 so I went through a similar process. There were many threads on 07-09s but not much on the 10-12s. I actually made a thread a few months back and here is a quick summary of it:

From what I have read so far, aside from going on Lexus service and checking the car out, things to look out for:
1) AWD system - may be a bit jerky esp up a hill, not all of them do it so find one that doesn't.
2) Sunroof creak/pop - Sounds like a hit or miss, but usually heard going up an uneven incline.
3) Control arms (?) - I've read many posts stating that the 2010+ has been revised, but then some say not until '13. Pretty much do some tight turns and listen for noises.
4) Air suspension (if applicable) - wear + tear item.
(courtesy of greg 3852)
5) Check the dash for any noise along with the sunroof pop.
6) Check the glove box for sag and alignment.
7) Check the tires and try to not get Turenza's as that will just be another bill because you will hate them,
8) Get the ML system. It is that much better.
(Courtesy of is150 and Tee)
9) listen for the brake actuator noise (or verify that it has been upgraded to the ls600 version) - audible clicking when stepping on the brakes best heard with radio off, not hazard to performance.
- after turning the car on and pressing the brake to place the car in drive or reverse, listen for a click or a groan/crunch noise. You can also test for this by turning the car on and leaving the car in park. Firmly press the brake pedal as far down as you can. If defective you may only hear a click every 6 pumps up to the worst which is a groan/crunch every 2 pumps or so.

Thread can be found here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-look-for.html

So far I've been nothing but thrilled with the 460. It really has a nice weighted and planted feeling to it as some other members have mentioned. I've driven plenty of AWDs but never a RWD (harder to come by here) so I don't have that comparison, but I will say that even with 'only' 360 hp/tq the AWD feels pretty strong, definitely faster than the 430 at higher speeds. In MI where most of the cars are real crappy, you're pretty much in the top 5% in terms of accerlation and speed, so definitely no problems if you have a tight gap. The '11+ AWDs don't have air suspension as standard which was good for me since I didn't want to deal with it down the road but bad if you're someone who wants the air.

Also Tec80: I am impressed you launch the AWD so much lol. I'm always afraid ill damage something in my drivetrain, maybe it's stronger than I think
Old 01-18-16, 09:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I thought the AWD was 700 lbs more. That's not insignifcant.

As for wheelspin on a 2wd.....I can't get any wheelspin with my traction control.
Old 01-19-16, 10:19 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I thought the AWD was 700 lbs more. That's not insignifcant.
More like 150-200, which isn't nothing but isn't nearly as bad as 700. You may be thinking of the difference between 460 and 600, which is in the 700 range for a comparably equipped car.
Old 01-19-16, 10:33 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by dal20402
More like 150-200, which isn't nothing but isn't nearly as bad as 700. You may be thinking of the difference between 460 and 600, which is in the 700 range for a comparably equipped car.
About twice as much, actually, as stated earlier.

RWD 4,350 AWD 4,730 lbs (380-lb difference)

The 'L' adds 110 to RWD but only 30 to AWD (difference down to 300).

Worst case is, not surprisingly, AWD "L" with Executive Package, weighing in at 4,950.

These numbers are applicable to MY 2010, and as such, all AWD weight numbers reflect air suspension.
Old 01-19-16, 01:55 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
RWD 4,350 AWD 4,730 lbs (380-lb difference)
As you implied, that is the difference for both AWD and air, not AWD alone.
Old 01-19-16, 02:09 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by dal20402
As you implied, that is the difference for both AWD and air, not AWD alone.
Quite a diet... I underestimated air suspension weight and didn't initially check (given the focus on a MY 2010 car in this thread).

Air suspension setup in AWD weighs 133 lbs. according to 2011 specs (year it was made optional). So, apples-to-apples, we're at around a 250-lb difference the end.
Old 01-28-16, 12:57 AM
Spartan8
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with all of the comments thus far, and here are my thoughts as I have the exact same vehicle in question.

1) Yes there are issues so when I bought mine, I knew I had to buy it at the right price. I knew there would be substantially more maintenance than my last 95 LS. I shopped for a long time and eventually got one in Aug '15 for $24k with 81k miles. With the 07-12 LS, it's all about the price paid IMHO.
2) MPG is ok for me pushing 17 in the city, almost 20 on the highway.
3) I have plenty of power for my needs. Never been an issue and my LS climbs Colorado passes with inches of pedal left.
4) Really good in the snow - surprisingly good. Since my '95 LS was horrible, I bought some slightly used Nokian hakkapeliittas and used Lexus LS wheels on Craigslist. $300 total. They sit in my garage and it's January in Denver. I've got Bridgestone Serenity Plus on the LS as they came with the vehicle. AWD is huge if you live where I'm at. It works great.
5) Alabaster interior gets dirty fast, and is difficult to clean. Love the look but it requires lots of elbow grease to get the dirt and grime out of the "pebbled" interior surfaces.
6) To minimize future service issues, I turn off things like the AFS headlights, the folding side view mirrors, I don't play with the Traction control, parking assist, auto parking brake or air adjust height. Cool gadgets but I'd just as soon they work when I sell this to the next guy whenever that might be.
7) Some minor nuisances...the cargo slot from the trunk to rear seats is too small. I don't take the car skiing, but I pickup and drop off skis and i can't fit two pairs through there. The cig lighter adapter for your cell charger is in an awkward position inside the glove box, which sits a little too far back behind me (5'8") to use while driving. TPMS has a temperament similar to my wife. Trunk is a little small in my opinion. Don't over fill the tray low and left of the steering wheel with too much change. Almost needed a flathead to pry it open.

Don't get me wrong, I love the brand, the model and this specific vehicle. Especially here in snow country. It's luxurious and it's powerful. And I think the brand means something to those behind the wheel. But I'm frugal so I Iook at the vehicle this way. If I have good luck in the next 2 years and escape having to buy a brake actuator, or a ML amp, or air suspension all the way around (budgeting for fronts) or something other than front upper "clunk" arms with new bushings, then I'll sell it and get a '13 or '14 at that time. If I end up ponying up for all those issues and maybe more, I'll drive this into the ground. And love every minute of it.