LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Confused about check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 06:20 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Confused about check engine light

Hi everyone,

I have an '09 LS SWB AWD with 86k miles on it. A few days ago the check engine light came on with a message on the dash for me to check the VSC system. The next day the check engine light and VSC warning went away on their own. A day after that they came back on. I pulled the ODB codes and got the following:

P0012 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded Bank 1

I took it to my local Lexus dealership and they determined that my VVT-i motor assembly needed replacing. Total cost would be $1,222. Apparently this part helps regulate the camshaft for variable valve timing. I asked if I should notice a performance dropoff since it's related to valve timing but they said no. They said I wouldn't make it worse by driving it so I took my car back and they would order the part for me.

The next day the check engine light and VSC warning went away on their own again and have not come back on for 3 days now. I don't understand why the warning and check engine lights keep going off on their own if this motor assembly needs replacing. Once again it has been 3 days now and no lights have come on.

I'm wondering if I need to actually replace this motor assembly. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any opinions on whether I should replace this motor assembly?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 01-11-16, 06:30 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would clear all your codes and wait for them to come in again. Just to make sure you get same error. Sometimes weird things happen and never show up again. I hate buying parts that I can not physically see them broke.
Old 01-12-16, 09:04 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Couple of things.....

First, I agree with Unsober 1. Reset the OBD and see what happens.

Second, these VVT motors can be had on Ebay for cheap (less than a couple hundred bucks), and a DIY'er can do the labor in no time. Or let an independent shop do it for you.
Old 01-12-16, 05:01 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If it's an intermittent problem, the scenario you're experiencing with your check engine light is pretty normal. Your computer will test that system - and every system in the car - continuously while you drive. To set a check engine light a system needs to continuously fail a certain amount of times to turn a check engine light on. Conversely a system has to pass a certain number of tests continuously to turn a check engine light off. If it's an intermittent problem, your system will pass, and fail...turning that light on and off.
Old 01-12-16, 07:17 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought that this was the symptom of the battery going bad. Plenty of past members have fixed the same issue by getting a new battery. But I don't see prior threads with specific codes thrown like you have when its just a battery

Last edited by is150; 01-12-16 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 09:25 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine-V...1WZ3sY&vxp=mtr
Is this it?
Old 01-12-16, 09:42 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Thanks for the responses everyone. I had to drive about 150 miles today for work and on the return leg the check engine light and VSC warning came back on.

Thanks for the Ebay link. They said it was the vvti motor assembly. They didn't say solenoid so I'm guessing it's not this part. Thanks though.
Old 01-13-16, 04:37 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

If it was my problem I would make sure the oil was clean first. Then clear the codes as stated. If it comes back on I would try to locate the solenoid on the proper cam and install one if easy to get to. Maybe just take it out and clean it out first. From what I have read these cause that code. It may not fix it I but that's what I would try first. If you can't mess with it find a independent toy shop to do it. Your going to get reamed bad at the dealer.
Old 01-13-16, 12:57 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Thanks for the advice on the oil and also a previous poster mentioning the battery. On both those points I just changed the oil about 1500 miles ago and it is still clean. Also, the battery is a Lexus battery that was replaced only about 7 months ago.

The most recent update is that my third party warranty company approved my claim to replace the vvti motor assembly so I am going to have the dealer do it.
Old 01-13-16, 01:22 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
The most recent update is that my third party warranty company approved my claim to replace the vvti motor assembly so I am going to have the dealer do it.
Excellent!
Old 02-14-20, 10:02 AM
rowyd1983
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Code p0012

I had this dreaded code and fixed it by replacing the drivers side camshaft motor. Drives great again and the par was only 400. Thanks ebay!
Old 03-17-21, 04:33 PM
RolloC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0012 Internal Engine Timing

PCS and VSC warning lights appeared on my 2008 model LS460 160,000km (Australia) 03/13/21 with no particular external event causing them to appear. My Lexus service team has scanned the vehicle & determined the fault is in the engine camshaft gear & timing, related to the internal engine timing. Have been advised the part needs replacing, quotes are AUD$3008 for the part and AUD$4,400 for labour (approx 4 days' repair). Is this reasonable? Am I just unlucky or do I own a 'lemon'? Love my LS460 and happy to have fixed, along with front shock absorbers needing replacement.
Old 03-17-21, 04:56 PM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by RolloC
PCS and VSC warning lights appeared on my 2008 model LS460 160,000km (Australia) 03/13/21 with no particular external event causing them to appear. My Lexus service team has scanned the vehicle & determined the fault is in the engine camshaft gear & timing, related to the internal engine timing. Have been advised the part needs replacing, quotes are AUD$3008 for the part and AUD$4,400 for labour (approx 4 days' repair). Is this reasonable? Am I just unlucky or do I own a 'lemon'? Love my LS460 and happy to have fixed, along with front shock absorbers needing replacement.
4 days just for that one issue...That doesn't sound right.
Old 03-18-21, 12:13 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by RolloC
What EXACTLY are they saying is wrong and what are the EXACTLY parts that need to be changed or fixed. Their statement sounds vague to me. Lots of things can make the PCS and VSC lights come on and they range from minor to major. Also what trouble codes did the dealership get from the cars computer? Without having this info we can't really say if the dealership is being fair or trying to take you for a ride.

Old 03-21-21, 07:56 PM
RolloC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke with service team & yes it doesn't take 4 days to do the job, however if they quoted on the per hour rate to do the job (based on similar jobs done to LS430s) it would be an insane figure so it's basically a poor billing system that they're overriding.

Quick Reply: Confused about check engine light