LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Latest Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis at 10k miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 09:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Latest Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis at 10k miles

Here's my latest Blackstone report after my 10k mile OCI on 0W20 Toyota Synthetic:

08 LS460-120115 [4485].pdf

All is well, and they recommend going to 12k miles on my next OCI. Haven't decided what I'll do in that regard. I may just stick with 10k or even lower it to 8k. I'll decide as time goes and especially after I monitor whether I'm adding top-ups along the way. If I have to add oil after 5k miles as others have experienced, I'll change it out sooner. Still don't see how longer OCI's increase oil consumption. Work in progress I guess.
Old 01-03-16, 10:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Excellent stuff.

I'm surprised you had to add two quarts of oil to it. Did that occur after 5k miles? I usually add around nothing, to 1/2 quart for the first 5k miles, after that it goes up a bit. I attribute it to shearing, but I don't really know.

PS: you left all your personal information on that oil report, you might want to black that out.
Old 01-03-16, 10:16 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

That is an outstanding report and it's no surprise. From some of the Mobil 1 UOA at 10k this oil does better as far as wear. The TBN shows that this oil can go the distance.

In regard to oil consumption all cars consume oil during it's oil change interval and it will increase in time. Some cars have more consumption then others and unless the consumption is unusually abnormal and dramatic it's not a concern. Some people experience more consumption by their driving habits. Some oils can cause more consumption then others because of it's lack of resistance to volatility.
As a car engine becomes older it may require thicker oil to make up for the clearances but in no way is that abnormal just a fact of life.

Those that claim that UOA is not a benefit should take it up with the SAE and publish their own white paper proving that nothing can be derived from a used oil analysis but since it's an industry standard I do not see engines falling from the sky only anecdotal myth biases. If there is a problem it would be apparent as in the case of the Toyota oil fiasco in the 90s where it was a case of poor engine design.
As far as filters go modern filter media is designed to handle the interval without having to change the filter in between. If it didn't the filter would have been bypassed and the wear numbers would have been a lot more elevated.

Last edited by Devh; 01-03-16 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-03-16, 10:24 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Excellent stuff.

I'm surprised you had to add two quarts of oil to it. Did that occur after 5k miles? I usually add around nothing, to 1/2 quart for the first 5k miles, after that it goes up a bit. I attribute it to shearing, but I don't really know.

PS: you left all your personal information on that oil report, you might want to black that out.
My car has only 30k miles and it consumes 3/4 of a quart in 5k miles. The dipstick reflects it which is completely normal. I never owned a car that had the dipstick read full when I had to change the oil and with most I had to add make up oil in between the interval as the car got older.
If I had to add 2 quarts during my 10k run It wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited by Devh; 01-03-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-03-16, 10:40 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
My car has only 30k miles and it consumes 3/4 of a quart in 5k miles. The dipstick reflects it which is completely normal. I never owned a car that had the dipstick read full when I had to change the oil and with most I had to add make up oil in between the interval as the car got older.
If I had to add 2 quarts during my 10k run It wouldn't not surprise me.
Yeah I guess that sounds about right.

With my car, for the most part it consumes around maybe a little less than a half a quart the first five thousand miles, but for some reason it picks up after that. I have 115,000 miles on it.

I have noticed that some oils do better than others...TGMO has been good in my car...right now I'm running Carquest full synthetic and I've had to add 1/2 quart at 4k miles.

I've read the type of driving you do plays a part in it as well. Highway miles - of all things - is said to aid in oil consumption...supposedly the higher vacuum in the manifold while cruising for long periods at highway speeds, causes a bit more oil consumption.

I read something interesting the other day...a guy said he considers using a half a quart within 4k-5k miles a good thing...it helps prevents cylinder wall wear by allowing a small amount of oil to coat them. He said he's seen engines like that have virtually no wear when he's torn them down hundreds of thousands of miles later. That could be true.
Old 01-03-16, 11:04 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yeah I guess that sounds about right.

With my car, for the most part it consumes around maybe a little less than a half a quart the first five thousand miles, but for some reason it picks up after that. I have 115,000 miles on it.

I have noticed that some oils do better than others...TGMO has been good in my car...right now I'm running Carquest full synthetic and I've had to add 1/2 quart at 4k miles.

I've read the type of driving you do plays a part in it as well. Highway miles - of all things - is said to aid in oil consumption...supposedly the higher vacuum in the manifold while cruising for long periods at highway speeds, causes a bit more oil consumption.

I read something interesting the other day...a guy said he considers using a half a quart within 4k-5k miles a good thing...it helps prevents cylinder wall wear by allowing a small amount of oil to coat them. He said he's seen engines like that have virtually no wear when he's torn them down hundreds of thousands of miles later. That could be true.
I get some major consumption when I hit lift a lot on my other Toyota. When the engine revs up to 8300 rpms it starts consuming oil. I use 0W-40 in that car not because of the oil consumption, mainly because it's performance driven and I don't have an oil cooler.
I have heard of engines that are some of the worst consumers of oil but they tend to go the distance as long as they are topped off.
Interesting comment about a little consumption being a good thing as I would tend to agree and in some ways having to add a little make up can replenish additives and raise the TBN which is only good for an extended oil change.

What I'm gong to say next is my own bias routed in my own experience that has no foundation in actual evidence. I have never been happy with Mobil 1 products since the tri-synthetic stuff came out in the late 90s. The cars that ran this oil consumed more especially their 10W-30 . Once I switched it out to Castrol or Amsoil my oil consumption was in check. Some people have had great luck with Mobil but I haven't although I would have no problem using the A3 rated 0W-40 oil because I believe that to be a lot more durable. What many of my forum members have seen on oil analysis using Mobil 1 is higher elevated iron numbers although the TBN was in check. This is just my personal experience and the reason why I stay away from Mobil oils in general, and my suspicions on why the Toyota oil is formulated differently.

I have also had great luck with Pennzoil Platinum and I'm curious about the Ultra product which might be a good alternative to TGMO.
Old 01-03-16, 11:19 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I usually buy whatever's on sale, right now I'm using Carquest full synthetic because someone gave me a case of it for free. It's basically Valvoline synthetic, which is average/low in additives...basically no moly. I haven't had any problems using Mobil 1, but then again I have never had the oil analyzed.

I have never used Penzoil, but I know it's solid based on test results...the PP is on sale at Walmart right now (which is the first time I've ever seen it on sale). I have never seen Penzoil Ultra, if I did, I'd buy it. It's legendary in terms of additives. A friend of mine is an Amsoil distributor, he sells their 10k mile oil at his shop. He says he'll give me 9 quarts for nothing, but it's 5w30... I'm actually interested in giving the 5w30 a try to see how it goes...and I've always wanted to try Amsoil.
Old 01-03-16, 11:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Amsoil is good oil especially at a time when off the shelf oils were lacking. When those pesky European standards came into the fold the market met the demand and great oil could be bought off the shelf like the European Castrol which beat out Amsoil which caused them to reformulate to be just as good. Then a lot of the group 3 inexpensive synthetic oils flooded the market and proved that you don't have to be a vegetable sourced synthetic to have bragging rights.
Oils like Castrol Edge and Pennzoil claimed in their advertising that they reduce engine wear better then Mobil 1 and the reason why they could make such a claim is because it's true otherwise they would have seen a cooperate court room.
Even the TGMO is a cheap Group3 yet it beats out Mobil 1 (from the oil analysis that I have seen) which is a pure synthetic.
The technology is ever changing and it will interesting to see how these newer 0W-16 oils perform.

Last edited by Devh; 01-03-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 11:59 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Interesting post. I usually change the oil at 5000 miles however at this time I have 6,100 miles on it. We were on our way home from a trip to VA over Thanksgiving when it hit 5000 miles with no Lexus dealers close. Then the Christmas Holidays and I have not had time to run it over to Lexus of Tulsa for my 50,000 mile service. After all the talk about consumption after 5000 miles I just went out and pulled the dip stick. The car has not been started since last Thursday so all the oil is down in the pan. If the oil is down a drop from where it was when it was changed 6,100 miles ago I will let the dear wife drive it in the snow (the next time we have some) I see no oil consumption what so ever? As stated earlier I just turned 51,000 miles so maybe the oil consumption starts in higher mileage engines?

Dennis
Old 01-03-16, 12:01 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always been a mobile 1 guy. Maybe it's their advertising , maybe it's because some auto manufactures come with or recommend it, maybe it's because a lot of other people say it's good. But I have had no reason not to use them. My last two oil changes have been valvoline syn power and TGMO. Not sure why I am changing. But is there really any difference. I don't know. If you own a car like an LS, I'm not buying an oil to save a few bucks, I just really want what is best for it. I think if you are buying a major brand, isn't that acceptable.

I really don't know. Use good oil, make sure it has enough of it, and change it regularly. I think I am fine.

But I really do like the debate. TGMO IS THE BEST OIL BECAUSE THAT WHAT I AM CURRENTLY USING.

But that might change in the next 9,000 miles.
Old 01-03-16, 12:06 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Interesting post. I usually change the oil at 5000 miles however at this time I have 6,100 miles on it. We were on our way home from a trip to VA over Thanksgiving when it hit 5000 miles with no Lexus dealers close. Then the Christmas Holidays and I have not had time to run it over to Lexus of Tulsa for my 50,000 mile service. After all the talk about consumption after 5000 miles I just went out and pulled the dip stick. The car has not been started since last Thursday so all the oil is down in the pan. If the oil is down a drop from where it was when it was changed 6,100 miles ago I will let the dear wife drive it in the snow (the next time we have some) I see no oil consumption what so ever? As stated earlier I just turned 51,000 miles so maybe the oil consumption starts in higher mileage engines?

Dennis
And like devh said this "oil consumption", is not really oil consumption...at the very small rate that it occurs on some of these cars it's beyond normal. For me personally I usually don't see any oil use in the first 5,000 miles, which is outstanding (and my engine has 115,000 miles on it). It's after 5,000 miles that my car starts to use a little bit of oil - yet still easily within normal values).
Old 01-03-16, 03:13 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here's my latest Blackstone report after my 10k mile OCI on 0W20 Toyota Synthetic:

Attachment 377113

All is well, and they recommend going to 12k miles on my next OCI. Haven't decided what I'll do in that regard. I may just stick with 10k or even lower it to 8k. I'll decide as time goes and especially after I monitor whether I'm adding top-ups along the way. If I have to add oil after 5k miles as others have experienced, I'll change it out sooner. Still don't see how longer OCI's increase oil consumption. Work in progress I guess.
Thank you. This is the same results I read on the 4Runner forum when people send in after 10k. Mercedes calls for 13k intervals with Mobil 1.
Old 01-03-16, 03:29 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Thank you. This is the same results I read on the 4Runner forum when people send in after 10k. Mercedes calls for 13k intervals with Mobil 1.
I haven't checked but I am almost certain they call for A3 rated oil that meets Mercedes spec which the 0w-40 euro provides for that extended interval. Using regular Mobil 1 5W-30 would be a disaster yet there are owners that do it out of ignorance and wonder why their car consumes oil.
Old 01-03-16, 05:31 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I haven't checked but I am almost certain they call for A3 rated oil that meets Mercedes spec which the 0w-40 euro provides for that extended interval. Using regular Mobil 1 5W-30 would be a disaster yet there are owners that do it out of ignorance and wonder why their car consumes oil.
My Mercedes says Mobil 1 only. Sticker right under the hood saying this and in the owners manual.
Old 01-03-16, 08:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
My Mercedes says Mobil 1 only. Sticker right under the hood saying this and in the owners manual.
Of course, but that doesn't mean you can use just any grade or viscosity. My BMW recommended Castrol, but if you look at the manual it specified A3. I used Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula which met ACEA A3. It's the same spec required by VW, Audi, and probably any other European car out there. FWIW, Pentosin and ELF make a suitable oil, but it's expensive and hard to find. That's where Mobil 1 (and Castrol), come in handy.

As for my Lexus, it will only ever see TGMO again.

Quick Reply: Latest Blackstone Labs Oil Analysis at 10k miles