LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Gas Brands: share your experiences

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 05:42 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Gas Brands: share your experiences

So I'm kind of OCD when it comes to gas brands.

While in college (a long time ago) I use to own a turbo and that was the most frenetic car when it came to gas brands.

A bad tank of gas would cause that car that car to perform poorly and I really could feel the difference. This was a '91 MR2 turbo, which was a blast to drive. Kind of wish I kept that car and stored it away as it was clean.

I tried every brand premium available in my area and did so over the course of a few tanks to see the difference. This included Chevron, Shell, Arco, Exxon and BP. I tested these five brands as they were the most numerous in my area.

So, based on my anecdotal findings, here is how I rated them from best to worst:

1. Chevron
HUGE GAP
2. Shell
HUGE GAP
3. Exxon
4. BP
5. Arco

The differences, in my opinion, between Chevron premium and the rest was huge. If I couldn't find a Chevron, I would go with Shell, but it wasn't nearly as good as Chevron.

The rest, including Exxon, BP and Arco were just crap in my opinion.

To this day, I only use Chevron and haven't been disappointed at all.

So what gas brand do you use?
Old 01-03-16, 07:06 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been using Cheveron Supreme for the past several years. Actually since I bought my first Lexus 5 years ago.
Old 01-03-16, 08:17 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Shell or Exxon supreme. Occasionally I used cheaper brands and I didn't notice any changes in my LS. I owned a Mercedes and I could tell the difference when using the cheaper brands.
Old 01-03-16, 09:20 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Whatever's cheapest. Haven't noticed any difference between brands. Regardless, I use a bottle of Techron one or twice a year. I drive about 20-25k miles per year.
Old 01-03-16, 11:21 AM
ambrown307
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the time I get gas from Costco - no idea what brand it comes from but it's advertised as Top Tier. I've run Shell and Chevron before but can't tell the difference.
Old 01-03-16, 11:53 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ran the last 10,000 on a majority of shell gas. They sure do a great number of advertising that their gas is the best for our engine. The reason I have chosen to go that direction is because a friend of a friend did an egine swap on a VW which was ran on shell gas. I saw the internals and was amazed. He was a store manager recieved a fuel discount so he always filled at his store. The thing is I don't see or feel a benefit, I am just hoping for a clean engine that I currently don't have proof. And I have most major fuel brands available in the Denver area, but for some reason shell is always more expensive. Usually 10 cents a gallon more than other top teir fuels. I plan to continue to feed my LS shell until I am presented an opportunity to open the engine up and see if there is proof of a clean engine.
Again, we are not experts and we do what WE beleive is best for our cars. I beleive to not spend extra money on fuel additives and use good gas. If I am buying fuel stuff, I use BG 44k. And that stuff is EXPENSIVE !
So back to shell gas, they really push the nitro, or nitrogen, which for direct injection engines, should help the combustion for a clean engine. Or atleast so I am told.
Old 01-03-16, 04:52 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Chevron fuels have their excellent Techron additive blended in, hence the goodness: http://www.chevronwithtechron.com/products.aspx
Old 01-03-16, 05:29 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using only Shell V-power in my car, namely b/c its the best top tier gas station that's readily available where I live. I would love to try the Chevron/Texaco stuff as I see it consistently being the highest rated, but sadly no such stations around where I live. I've been very happy with Shell, really haven't had any issues. I had a few BMWs that were finicky about fuel, specifically an '07 3 series which back then I wasn't as caring or particular about gas and just went to the one closest to me . Sometimes it would idle real rough after fill ups. Started using Shell a few yrs back when I got my 430 and kept on using it with great results.
Old 01-03-16, 05:55 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be more worried about WHERE I buy my gas from than what brand it is. Old/junky gas station that's been there for 20, 30, 40, 50 years, the old underground tanks are metal and do rust/leak. So if the place LOOKS janky, you can imagine how they maintain their equipment. Sediment from the tank can get into your gas, water can be in the gas, they might not change the filters on the pump, etc etc etc

I've never been able to tell a performance difference between 93 octane name brand and no-name 93 octane. This goes for my 1992 SC300 and my old 1999 Z28 Camaro with the LS1 V8 with a bunch of mods done to it.

That being said, I still try to use the Shell or BP near my house, because the name brand gas does have better additives that keep carbon from buidling up in your engine. That being said, the one shell by my house started to charge 50 to 80 cents more for high test, so they haven't been getting my business for the past several months.
Old 01-03-16, 09:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I used to be a gas brand snob, but ever since gas went REALLY high back in like 07-08 I haven't really cared. I use whatever's cheapest, I will use Shell because we get points from groceries we put towards fuel. Off brand, whatever.

I can't tell any difference in the car based on the brand of fuel.
Old 01-04-16, 09:24 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had bad tanks and good tanks from all brands. I think the variation between individual shipments of gas is much greater than the variation between brands.

I second the recommendation not to fill up at stations that are obviously poorly maintained.

Right now I'm using mostly Shell because that's the station closest to my house. Seems to work fine, except that I got one bad tank for my Subaru a few months ago (had stumbling/misfires throughout that tank). This Shell station used to be a BP station and I didn't notice any difference when it switched over.
Old 01-04-16, 09:59 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

When I am here in Bella Vista, AR I use Shell V-Power. When we travel I will pull into a Costco if it is handy. If no Costco's I always use Flying J's. Have been using Flying J's for years and never have had a problem. They turn the product over fast as does Costco so you know you are getting fresh gas.

Dennis
Old 01-04-16, 10:07 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The reviews showing a lack of difference between stations is testament to how the LS is not sensitive to octane. I have experienced the same thing in all 3 generations of the LS's I have owned. Other vehicles I have are much more sensitive. Shell, BP, Chevron, and Exxon were the most consistent for higher octane quality in my experience.
Old 01-04-16, 10:33 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I pretty much run Costco gas in both our vehicles. Same with 3 of my 4 Lexus cars. Never an issue.
Old 01-04-16, 11:01 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Been driving for over 50 years and have never had one brand perform better than another.

Quick Reply: Gas Brands: share your experiences