LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Standard Stereo Specs for 2016

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 06:51 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Standard Stereo Specs for 2016

Merry Christmas!

My car didn't come with the ML, in fact, it's pretty bare bones, but I don't mind. However, I do have a question about the stereo that I can't seem to find anywhere:

What are the specs, notably power and what are the speaker specifications/sizes? Is there a separate sub? I assume there is based on the speaker count (that's the only info I could find was the speaker count). What size is that sub?

However, I will say that the base stereo sounds much better than the 260 Watt Bose system in my Acura (which sounded pretty good in itself when I had it). In hindsight, that system was actually pretty feeble, spec-wise, for a Bose, although that was 2006 model year.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-25-15, 08:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Yes there is a separate sub. It's an 8" located at the rear up between the seats (basically on the rear parcel shelf). Not sure what kind of power the amp has, nor the specs. As for speakers, the fronts are 6.5" 3 ways (mid and tweeter in the dash, woofer in the doors), the rears are 4" 2 ways, 8" subwoofer. Keep in mind that this info is based on an older LS460, but I don't think it changed for 2016
Old 12-25-15, 11:01 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, thanks for the speaker info.

Strange, but even after gleaning whatever I could from the manufacturer, the amp rating is no where to be found.

I find that kind of odd, it can't be that bad as it sounds good and loud to me.
Old 12-29-15, 04:24 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Well, after fruitlessly searching pages upon pages of Google search results, there really isn't any firm information out there.

However, based on what I did find and read I would guess that the "10 Speaker Lexus Premium Sound for the LS" has an amp rating between 200 and 300 Watts. Pure speculation on my part as all of the information I found was anecdotal at best.
Old 12-29-15, 09:00 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An educated guess based only on general knowledge and not on any knowledge of the non-ML system is that it has a total output of around 100W RMS (probably divided up among four channels with the front and rear speakers wired in parallel into those channels) for the full-range speakers. That is how much you can get from a cheap IC power supply from 14V power, which is also why you never see a head unit rated for more than about ~25W/channel RMS. Larger switching power supplies are common in external amplifiers but cost more money and dissipate more heat.

There may also be a separate amplifier stage for the sub -- I don't know.
Old 12-29-15, 09:28 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that's kind of pathetic if true.

Sounds good to me, though, but of course that's subjective.

One thing, though, is that the loudness versus distortion is, perceptibly, the same as my 235 or so watt Bose system in my Acura, which is still fresh in my head.
Old 12-29-15, 12:01 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

the regular stereo in all lexus cars is made by Pioneer. always has been. the ML system is actually made by Harman International. the old upgrade Nak system back in the 90s was half and half pioneer and Nak.

hope this helps.
Old 02-08-16, 07:49 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

I was always curious how much power the non-ML amp pushed out.

I found this picture of an RX non-ML amp and based on the numbers, this amp pushes out roughly 250 Watts (just basic Ohm's law with the listed spec sheet).

Assuming the voltage is the same with our amp and knowing the impedance of all of the speakers, we could figure out the wattage of LS' base amp and I wouldn't guess it being any lower.

I always figured it was 250 Watts based on my subjective "ear test" versus my 235 Watt Bose system in my previous car.

Old 02-08-16, 08:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

That amp is made in Canada. If you do metric conversion, and account for the dollar exchange rate, that thing is actually putting out 6,350 watts.
Old 02-08-16, 09:37 AM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
That amp is made in Canada. If you do metric conversion, and account for the dollar exchange rate, that thing is actually putting out 6,350 watts.
Haha that's funny!
Old 02-09-16, 07:21 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

When I first got my 460, I didn't think it came with the ML system. I was gonna just deal with it as I loved the car and price. My 430 had the ML system and the logo was plastered on the console. It was a dark rainy overcast day so perhaps I just glanced over at the space like the 430 and didn't see anything. The next day when I was setting all the channels, I saw it and smiled. Very glad to have it.
Old 02-09-16, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Yeah the base audio isn't that great. I didn't have ML in my 4GS either, but found that base audio system a good bit better.

Here's a question, any relatively simple upgrades out there to improve it? I don't want any sub boxes in the trunk, etc.
Old 02-09-16, 01:12 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Yeah the base audio isn't that great. I didn't have ML in my 4GS either, but found that base audio system a good bit better.

Here's a question, any relatively simple upgrades out there to improve it? I don't want any sub boxes in the trunk, etc.
I haven't ventured into the '14 but what I can say is I did replace all the woofers (door) speakers on my '14 and took out the useless "sub" and replaced it with one that had a magnet 3X the size. I didn't add any amplification though. I do know you can tap the sub signal and run a bigger amp and sub if you want to create that deeper and fuller effect which is something I'm considering but like you I'm not adding any boxes or cutting my rear deck.
Old 02-09-16, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Did that make a noticeable difference?

I assume you mean you did that on the 04?
Old 02-09-16, 01:31 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Did that make a noticeable difference?

I assume you mean you did that on the 04?
Oh yes it most definitely did. And I have the ML on the '04 as well. But all their speakers were flimsy with weak magnets and rubber surrounds that turned into dust over time. Even my sub was toast after only a few years. I like Mark Levinson but I believe the value is in the design, head unit and speaker placement. I can't say the same for the '14 yet as I haven't open up the doors or looked at the sub.

Quick Reply: Standard Stereo Specs for 2016