LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Still Vibrating after Road Force Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 04:13 PM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Still Vibrating after Road Force Balancing

Car still vibrates between 65 on up. However it is intermittent. Sometimes it will vibrate at 70. Sometimes smooth as silk

got the car road force balanced all wheels are between 6-7 lbs. I am going to go to the shop have them lift it up and check the lower ball joints and all the control arms.

QUESTION: Can i just replace a ball joint or do i have to replace the entire arm? Is the ball joint connected to the control arm in any way? Please excuse my ignorance. Thanks for your replies in my earlier post by the way.

If i don't respond in a timely manner its because after a while this site stops notifying me by email even though I subscribed to it.

Last edited by norviewguy; 12-21-15 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 07:01 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What sort of vibration are you having? At what speeds? And how are the conditions of the roads you're driving on?
Old 12-20-15, 09:28 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.mylparts.com/parts/2009/...iagram=8932238
Old 12-20-15, 10:01 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your driveline/propeller shaft, carrier bearing, and other bushings as well?
Old 12-21-15, 01:20 AM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be your Rims are bent
Old 12-21-15, 03:59 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Tire could have a bad belt inside, hard to pin point but should be seen when road force balancing.
If the rims is fine, most often it's the tire. Even a new tire can be bad when trying to balance it.

Also worn out suspension will have its hand too.
Old 12-21-15, 06:38 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Tire could have a bad belt inside, hard to pin point but should be seen when road force balancing.
If the rims is fine, most often it's the tire. Even a new tire can be bad when trying to balance it.

Also worn out suspension will have its hand too.
Rotate the tires front to rear now and drive it. This will rule out a slightly bent wheel or bad tire.
Old 12-21-15, 06:51 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by IncgntoLex
Have you checked your driveline/propeller shaft, carrier bearing, and other bushings as well?
Question will this be what I am feeling even if I put it in neutral at 75? I still feel it whether I'm in neutral or drive.
Old 12-21-15, 06:52 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by aaauae
might be your Rims are bent
The road force balancing checks for that if I'm not mistaken
Old 12-21-15, 06:56 AM
norviewguy
Driver

The reason I'm thinking ball joint is when the car was in the air we inspected the control arms and all of them had good NO cracked rubber around the joints. But on the left side when I hit a but it is noticeable clunkier

Also when I'm leaving the driveway if I turn the steering wheel almost locked left or right there is a clunk. But not when I'm driving. It's not the cv axles

Last edited by norviewguy; 12-21-15 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 07:24 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

If you have cracked rubber around the bushings, then that is a tall tell sign that the bushing are bad.
Air, water and dirt over time has made its way into the bushing, along with normal wear and tear and the bushing simply becomes no longer adequate.
Not many here have experienced bad ball joints, but many of us, including myself, have either bad CA's or have had to replace them.
If you actually watch the motion of the CA's and flex of the ball joints when the steering wheel is turned, it's clearly evident how they can go bad, especially given the weight of the car.
My guess is that you'll need at least all four UCA's replaced.
Old 12-21-15, 07:31 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by CRowe14
If you have cracked rubber around the bushings, then that is a tall tell sign that the bushing are bad.
Air, water and dirt over time has made its way into the bushing, along with normal wear and tear and the bushing simply becomes no longer adequate.
Not many here have experienced bad ball joints, but many of us, including myself, have either bad CA's or have had to replace them.
If you actually watch the motion of the CA's and flex of the ball joints when the steering wheel is turned, it's clearly evident how they can go bad, especially given the weight of the car.
My guess is that you'll need at least all four UCA's replaced.
I'm sorry I meant no cracked rubber. I miss typed and I edited the post. Sorry about the confusion
Old 12-21-15, 07:56 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by norviewguy
I'm sorry I meant no cracked rubber. I miss typed and I edited the post. Sorry about the confusion
Even with that being the case, they can still be bad.
There is a member here, caha14, who used to own an 07 460L.
He had similar symptoms, and got Lexus corporate involved. From the outside, they appeared ok, but it was decided to remove them and they had a tremendous amount of play in them once pressure was applied while they were placed in a grip.
They were shot.
Typically, from reading symptoms other owners have described regarding clunking/popping noises, along with reading several LexusDriver maintenance history's, I'd still venture to say that your issue is control arm related.
Old 12-21-15, 08:25 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had a road force balancing performed yesterday on my 2009 LS460 SWB with 39k miles. 6 control arms replaced up front in June 2015 at 34k miles. I was getting a very high frequency bouncing vibration between 60-80mph. When I get up to 90mph it goes away. Yesterday on my way to the balancing appt, my 4yo was in the back seat humming so he could hear his voice shake...then my 2yo chimed in. :/

I went to Firestone as they are one of the few non dealership shops that have Road Force balancing machines. The manager was really nice and answered all of my questions. After the balance, he said one of the front wheels was out of balance by 1/2 ounce. But the other tires were pretty good. And he said the rims were not bent and the tires were good too.

While driving home, the shimmy was still there so I'm in the same boat. I will say though that particular stretches of highway, especially the stretch I drive, are pretty bad and have grooves in them about every 10-12 feet so what I'm feeling might be that too.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 which have 15k miles on them. I have noticed they've becoming louder the last few thousand miles with a noticeable hum at highway speeds and I know the Pilot Sport are not the quietest in the Michelin lineup. And these tires usually go for about 25k-30k on our cars right? The tread looks like it's halfway gone, maybe a little more.

I'll be replacing the tires with the Primacy MXM4 or the Pirelli P7 when the time comes. I just want the quietest, smoothest ride possible.

Last edited by sdwtchlvr; 12-21-15 at 09:04 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 08:27 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

What year and how many miles on your car. This should be in your signiture so you can be better advised. Like if I see you have 60k or up I can say probably control arms.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 12-21-15 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Still Vibrating after Road Force Balancing