LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS to arrive as '17 model, targets XJ and Panamera.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 05:42 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That concept is huge. I read the specs and it wouldn't even fit in my garage, length-wise.

I'm glad I got the last model year of this generation. They always tend to be the most refined and bug-free.

In looking at the recent generational changes of other Lexus models, it seems clear on their design theme: more angular, aggressive and non-organic look. I would imagine the new LS will follow that same theme as these cars do share a lot of their brethren's design element.

I personally prefer the more organic look of my car. This generation (2013+) seems like a mix between the very organic (and I must say, nice looking) 2007 and what is to be a very angular and aggressive release I presume. A granular step from one generation to another.

One thing that Lexus has that other luxury brands don't is value and reliability, while other luxury cars try to evoke more emotions. There is a difference. I was close to getting the A7. That car did indeed invoke my more passionate side, but logic and reason prevailed.

It seems like luxury brands are trying to chase those perceived attributes that they seemingly lack, with Audi (especially) trying to up its reliability and then you have Lexus, chasing down that emotion. It's like grass is always greener on the other side from their respective perch and they are all fighting towards the middle from different sides.

So Lexus is seemingly on a quest for that emotion. I can't fault them for that, I just hope they don't lose sight of their core attribute in their journey.

And who knows, right now I have every intention is assuming my lease, but if the new LS indeed invokes some of that emotion without clouding that value and reliability, I may just step in to that.
Old 12-22-15, 05:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

That was exactly my thought process on getting this generation. I also assume the next LS will be more expensive and LWB only...
Old 01-07-16, 07:46 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
The question here is, who here at Club Lexus is going to be purchasing my car new, that I will purchase used? Because I'm going to want to help you spec it out, as well as give you a list of do's and don'ts with the car. Where you can go, how many miles you can put on the car. You know ... that kind of stuff. You will need to wait and purchase a 2018, because all of the enginnering improvements needed on the '17 will be implemented into the '18 model.

I personally don't care if Lexus builds the new LS to compete with the Nissan GTR, or to compete with the Mercedes land yacht. I will not shop elsewhere because I do NOT want the break-down & repair hassles associated with owning a Merc, Beemer or Audi.

7milesout
You are so correct! I have recently got rid of a 2010 S63 AMG because of repeated suspension problems that MB wouldn't fix even though it was CPO'd. I hate them. I now have a leased BMW - I would NEVER own a German car....
Old 01-07-16, 11:07 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvid
[

Read more here (google translated from Norwegian to English):
https://goo.gl/U2a1bg

A surprising and emotion-evoking design as part of Lexus' drive to exceed conventional imagination. The LF-FC is the latest expression of Lexus' progressive luxury and is a high-tech vision of a not so distant future:
https://youtu.be/m_U_IVxy34k

Regards
Arvid
JAWS on wheels. dun-dun, dun-dun, dun-dun...."we're gonna need a bigger boat!"
Old 01-08-16, 07:42 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

yes that is indeed the new LS, sort of.

one thing I like about the lexus concept cars is that they actually build them, or build the production cars that actually sort of look like the concepts. if you look at the Ls460 concept, the production one actually looks BETTER than the concept!
Old 01-08-16, 06:32 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The picture above shows this HUGE hood... is that a V12?

The bulges on the side fenders are cool, but the immense front grill is just horrid.

Will be interesting to see what the interior tech and materials will look like.

Meanwhile, I'm on the sidelines, just waiting and piling up some $ for the next gen LS
Old 01-09-16, 08:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Meanwhile, I'm on the sidelines, just waiting and piling up some $ for the next gen LS
And I'll be on the sidelines waiting for one of you to drop their 2012. LOL
Old 01-09-16, 11:07 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I
I do hope that Lexus does not loose sight of the plush, smooth ride
Let's hope their sight is not loose, otherwise they may lose their sight!

Old 01-10-16, 09:04 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Latest on the LF-FC

http://www.hydrogencarsnow.com/index.php/lexus-lf-fc/

http://paultan.org/2015/10/28/tokyo-...views-next-ls/

And I really loved those 21-inch aluminium and carbon-fibre reinforced plastic (CFRP) rims :

Arvid

Last edited by Arvid; 01-10-16 at 09:14 AM. Reason: one more link
Old 01-10-16, 10:30 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Well the problem is Lexus has to change, because if they don't they'll continue to lose to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. And I don't care if they say they're targeting Porsche and Jaguar...that's total BS...bottom line, the high end luxury car market has passed them by. Too often we read and hear, it's nice, but it's not an Audi A8...it can't compete with the S Class...it's not in the BMW's class as a performer.

All I see is Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes all over the place...those big cars just blasting up and down the freeway. If you're buying a car of that/this magnitude NEW, you don't care about the reliability as much as you do the performance, the prestige, the rankings, the hype, the look at me!

I think it's a smart move and for all the people saying...oh I don't want performance, I want quiet, I want to just cruise...well you should be able to still do that. Heck you can just cruise in a Ferrari if you want to - I owned a Corvette once - I just cruised in that...I didn't floor it all the time, I didn't take corners on two wheels all the time. And the new LS won't be that anyway, it will just be able to do something it hasn't been able to do in 9 years. Compete. People said the same things when the LS460 came out...I'm losing my comfortable, quiet automobile...how did that turn out? It's not they're making a car for Mad Max here.

Last edited by Doublebase; 01-10-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-10-16, 10:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You do realize that the LS still outsells the A8 right? And off and on outsold the 7 Series until the 2016 model.

Hard to say they don't compete.
Old 01-10-16, 04:37 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it win current comparos?
Old 01-10-16, 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Does it win current comparos?
No. But it's commonly in its history not won comparison tests.

In the end, all these companies are in the business of selling cars, not winning time in magazine articles. You can't say that a car doesn't compete with another car when it outsells it 2 to 1.

If you gauge it all by magazine articles Lexus is a total failure.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-10-16 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-10-16, 05:45 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think tomorrow's LC coupe details can tell us a bit about the LS, at least in terms of price points.

Top-tier coupes at Mercedes typically out price its four-door brethren by $10-20k (S Coupe vs Sedan). BMW separates their families more, but if there's one brand that Lexus emulates more than any other (IMO) it's Mercedes (see original LS).

Now I'm not saying Lexus will follow that same theme, but if the LC gets introduced at a $100k price point, it wouldn't be hard to imagine seeing the new LS start at $80-$90k.

I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. We get the benefits and halo/spillover effect even though we paid less.
Old 01-11-16, 11:00 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2015 US full-size sales

1. Cadillac XTS - 23,112
2. Mercedes S - 21,934
3. BMW7 - 9,292
4. Lexus LS - 7,165
5. A8 - 4,990

http://left-lane.com/us-car-sales-data/lexus/lexus-ls/

Last edited by superdenso; 01-11-16 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: New LS to arrive as '17 model, targets XJ and Panamera.