LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What Are Your Top-5 Issues with the LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-15, 02:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
Re: Did the tech lean on the tab to the overflow tank and break it during the water pump replacement?

Yup, that's what happened. I did NOT complain about the water pump or radiator in my original post on my top-5 issues.

I suppose my main complaint is the number of issues and cost of ownership being higher than I expected.

I wasn't expecting to experiment with aftermarket rotors to solve the warped rotor issue.

I wasn't expecting the bushings on the control arms to be that expensive to repair.

I wasn't expecting my car to eat tires for dinner every 30k miles.

Oh...and I'm not hearing others hit the same problems as me, so I must be one of the very few getting all the known issues.
My car eats tires too, but I attribute that to two things...the control arms (that I need to replace) and the Pirreli's I buy (it almost looks like half the tread is gone when they are new).

I think once I replace my control arms (for $500), I'll switch brands and buy something with a little more tread on them or perhaps a tire that supposedly will last longer. I've also found that rotating them helps, a lot.

As for rotors - I have no idea what brand I have on there - bu I've had ZERO issues with them. And that's rare, because I know of many cars and many brands that can't last 30k miles without a pulsation.

Something to make you feel better regarding the control arm bushings...you can buy after markets for around $500. Also consider this, all cars, and I mean all cars have suspension components that fail. And when you consider aftermarket parts - at aftermarket prices - this car isn't out of line of what other cars would cost in terms of repairs for suspension components. I mean most control arms are going to run you $300 bucks, then there are the ball joints ($50 bucks a piece), then there are sway bar links and bushings, tie rods, struts. At least this car doesn't seem to have those problems...the control arm bushings take all the abuse.
Old 11-29-15, 05:54 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Doublebase, Yeah, I am going to buy the front control arms on ebay and have an independent shop install them. I've PM'ed some of the people who went this route to see if they can give an update on the ebay control arms.

@SW15LS, My expectations are high. I bought a 1996 Toyota Landcruiser with 100k miles back in 2004 and I've put 133k more, so the LC has 233k miles. I've had less issues with that 20-year old tank and zero issues from 0 to 150k miles. I never got the dreaded head gasket issue which is one of the most expensive repairs on the LC. I did upgrade the brake pads, front bumper, rock sliders, offroad springs and shocks, and upgraded tires. However, these were upgrades to make things work better offroad.

On the LS460, I need the repairs to keep riding in comfort. I'm not upgrading..I'm repairing. I guess I can think of the aftermarket rotors and Akebono brakes as an upgrade, but not the control arms, tires, amp, and wind noise.

I am coming across as a complainer, but in reality I am enjoying the LS460 and everyone in my family is too. Again, I'm just surprised that my car is hitting most of the documented issues and I wish it wasn't the case like my LC not hitting the blown head gasket.
Old 11-29-15, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Your LS460 is a far more sophisticated machine than your Land Cruiser, its also built for a completely different purpose. The LS is full of soft bushings and components designed to give the smoothest, quietest operation possible, even at the expense of cost and even at the expense of lifespan. Your LC was built to be a tough, solid, no frills offload vehicle...even at the expense of smoothest, quietest operation.

The only issues you've really had are rotors warping, amp failure and the control arm failure. You've spent less than $1,000. Lets say the control arm failure costs you another $1,500...you're still less than $2,500 in repairs. In 8 years on a car as sophisticated as the LS460, thats pretty darn good. I mean...$240 and your brake issue is solved and this is a significant issue for you? It costs me that to have the dealer change the oil in my 2015.

I've had three Lexus LS sedans, a 98 LS400 that we had until about 170,000 miles. An 04 LS430 that we had until about 95,000 miles, and my new 2014 460. I also had a 2003 ES until 170,000 miles and thats still in the family with about 185k on it now, and another ES and a GS I didn't have that long. These cars are reliable yes, but like any other machine they age. The LS400 had control arms that were replaced and had an intermittent starter issue that would have been very expensive to repair ($1k+), also had rotor warpage, the 430 had an ML amp failure that was addressed, had rotor warpage. The ES300 had lower control arms done, its had an alternator, had the steering rack replaced back when it was newer under warranty, I had a lot of problems with warping rotors on that and thats just off the top of my head. None of those vehicles ever had a set of tires that lasted more than 35k miles, because I wanted the best tires that would make them all ride the best. All were very reliable IMHO. Very reliable doesn't mean 100% problem free.

FYI, all of those vehicles cost me more than $2,500 in repairs by the time they were 8 years old.

You have to understand, this was a flagship $80,000 vehicle when it was new, its not a Camry. You get to drive it for the price of a Camry, so that means you have to fix some stuff here and there...I don't have to fix stuff on mine but I'm paying $1,000 a month to drive essentially the same car you're driving. Count your blessings

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-29-15 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 06:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Chris, what was the problem with the battery? Was it the original or was it replaced before you bought the car?
It was the original Panny, Basically a 7 yr old battery with 75k miles on it when I replaced it, so not bad!
Old 11-29-15, 10:43 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

I'm experiencing several of the bad areas listed for the 2008 LS460 like the suspension (worn bushings on front control arms), engine cooling (seeping water pump and easy to break nipple on radiator), brakes (warped rotors), body integrity (wind noises), and audio system (amp).

I'm not sure what the engine minor (valve spring replacement?) and fuel system (?) issues are. I haven't hit those.

I was expecting reliability closer to the 2006 LS430 or 2011/12/13 LS460.

Last edited by LexusManny; 11-29-15 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 03:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was expecting reliability closer to the 2006 LS430 or 2011/12/13 LS460.
Then why not buy one of them? All of this data is out there, not sure why you would buy a model year knowing these issues could happen to you, and then be surprised that they happened. You knew it was a possibility going in.

Essentially you're saying "I understood I was likely to have this problem, I'm just surprised that I have it". Did you think everybody was kidding?

Not trying to be snarky, I just legitimately don't understand what your surprise is. As far as I understand you purchased this vehicle used right, with knowledge of these common issues for this model year?
Old 11-30-15, 03:57 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The thing I'm surprised with is your level of expectation. I expect a lot, but a failed water pump? And a tech that ruined your radiator while working on it? The amp? They go bad in lots of cars. The control arms? You'll have it fixed for $1,000 (total) and won't run into that problem again for another 80-100k miles.

Let me add some perspective...I own a Honda Accord (1999 since new) - one of the most reliable/economical/practical, vehicles ever built. This is what I've had to do to it in repairs...
Both front calipers, twice.
Brake hoses and brake lines (all of them)
Fuel lines and a gas tank (it's a defect in the tank design that causes them to rot out). It's a $1000 dollar job.
Charcoal canister, twice. That's $700 in canisters and purge valves.
Front engine mount, three times.
California O2 sensor--$250 bucks
Rear engine mount once.
Two timing belts, two timing belt kits and two water pumps, plus all accessory belts--$1400 easy if I didn't do it myself--easy.
Tie rods, three of them, with alignments.
Upper control arms, twice.
Lower ball joints, twice.
Sway bar bushings front, three times, plus links twice.
Rear sway bar links and bushings twice.
Four mufflers...FOUR OF THEM
Vtec oil pressure solenoid
EGR valve
Transmission pressure switches, both of them, very common.
Interior clock light, five times.
Oil pan gasket.
Right front axle
Left front axle
So many brake rotors that I honestly have lost count.
Front struts
IAC motor
Stereo and interior light switches (they actually snapped)
Heater and AC control ***** (they break on these cars, replaced them three times)
Every brake light, headlight, directional
There was a recall for the ignition switch, had that done.
The transmission is a known problem with these cars...Honda extended the warranty on the vehicle, I never had a problem because I changed the fluid every 20k miles
I ended up replacing the entire front sway bar...the thing actually just wore out...unbelievable.
It developed an AC refrigerant leak, I replaced a few seals.
About six sets of tires--these cars have a camber issue and it eats tires (shoulders). There is a camber kit available, but I'd have to replace the control arms again.

Now those are the things I fixed or replaced...these are the things I haven't...
Power steering rack is leaking, it needs to be replaced.
The entire exhaust system needs to be replaced.
The front subframe needs to be replaced - it's a manufacturer defect - they put the evap drip hose right into the cradle and it rots out, google it, it will blow your mind.
It stalls when coming to a stop on occasion- I've removed the intake and cleaned the carbon out...between that and the new EGR valve, it has improved, but it's still there.
Oh and it burns oil now.
It has a shimmy when going 55-60, which isn't exactly convenient.meither the control arms need to be replaced again or the driver's side axle (another known problem).
There's a coolant leak on a seal in the bypass pipe in back of the engine...another known problem with these cars.

Despite all this, this is the best car I've ever owned and it's not even close. It's been absolutely babied, never even close to abused...all highway miles...oil changed every 3k miles...every fluid was changed religiously.

Last edited by Doublebase; 11-30-15 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 05:28 PM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

This car has issues.
I've been flamed on here several times for calling out the issues. Here's how it usually works....

You post the issue and a few people (the same few) will come on here and announce that you're over blowing the issue and there's nothing wrong with the car. Then you post an update that Lexus repaired the issue under warranty then these same people do two things:

1)They tell you that you should be happy that your have an extended warranty and that Lexus was "kind" enough to fix..

2)Tell you that you have a lemon.

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering from Drexel.... I may not be a Lexus Engineer but I know issues when I see them... This car has issues. And these issues should not be presenting themselves with less that 100K miles.

I purchased an LS460 due to it's reputation, one that I formed from owning 4 LS's in the past. I've put over 1 Million, yes Million miles on Lexus vehicles so I know the brand better than most.

This car does not represent the quality that the brand worked tirelessly to create. That work noted, they can't and shouldn't be granted a pass on the quality due to their reputation.

I have 95K miles on my car (08) and today was the final straw for me. It was a minor issue but nonetheless before I called I fully expected poor service when they answered the phone. Think about that...

I called to ask if my hood shocks were covered under the CPO warranty. That's a simple question. If they are not, no problem I will buy and install myself. If so, I will take in and have replaced. The woman answers the phone and asked how she could help me. I said "Hi, my car is covered under a Lexus warranty and I wanted to ask if something was covered before I make an appointment".... I thought this was a simple request?

Her response "Well I don't know who to send you to, see if I send you to a service adviser they get mad if your not calling to make an appointment:"

That's it... done... Their level of entitlement has reached a height that I will not tolerate. Some of you have just joined the "family" so this level of pompous, smugness may be normal but I remember a time when if you called they would cater to your needs. That time is over, they are too full of themselves. Gotta go. My next car will not be a Lexus. That saddens me as I've owned 4 LS's and 2 ES's over the past 17 years..

Onto the question of issues with this car?

I've owned this car for 18 months... The following is a list of items repaired/replaced in this time frame:

All bushings (Front and rear, upper and lower) had to fight to have them replaced even though you could shine a flash light through the bushing.
Two Brake actuators (one at 77K mile and the other at 81K miles)
Three out of 4 air shocks.. just waiting for the fourth to go
Steering rack.
Control arm - after the new bushing failed.
Water pump.
Wheel bearings
TPS system.
Radiator... they damaged during a repair.It happens.

Imagine if this car was out of warranty...

I now have a bad rattle in the passengers front suspension and I am just gonna let it go. The dealership is tired of me and honestly I am tired of them. I had a 430 for 7 years.. Put 212K miles on it with nothing but a few O2 sensors.. It was a UL and never had an issue with suspension components.

I have wind noise again... I fixed the window gaskets once now I need to do the McCraney fix after Lexus refused to fix under warranty.

When this car is right, there is no better road car.. It's amazing.. However the quality of this brand has fallen from high highs to abysmal lows in my opinion. I refuse to continue to support a brand that refuses to address issues that everyone knows exist.

Flame Away..
Old 11-30-15, 07:21 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

@SW15LS, when I did research on the LS460 back in 2013, the consumer reports data wasn't as bad as it is now for the 2008 LS460. Back then only the brakes and the audio system had half-black marks. Suspension showed half-red. So, over time more people are complaining on the 2008 and 2009 and the 2011 and 2012 got better. My price range at the time was right for the 2007 and 2008. So, if I had known I was going to experience a few more expensive issues like the suspension and tires, I probably would have not purchased. I did not like the style of the 430. My expectations are high, but are in line with a lot of others who purchase an LS460. I'm not alone in being dissatisfied with the number and type of issues. It is Lexus that had a dip in quality, but a lot of Lexus defenders on this site try to turn it around and say that my expectations were too high.

@Doublebase, I consider the water pump regular maintenance and the fragile radiator nipple is bad design on Lexus. If you read my posts, I have never complained about the water pump or radiator. I only said that consumer reports lists cooling as a problem area probably due to the water pump. I only list some of the repairs that have been done on my LS460 on my signature to keep a running tab of fixes on my car. Your Honda example is irrelevant to me. If I wanted that level of reliability, I would have bought a Honda. I didn't. I bought the top of the line Lexus. I currently have a 2000 Toyota Camry, 2010 Toyota Prius, 1996 Toyota Landcruiser, and a 2000 Honda Odyssey. All these cars have their pros and cons. I was expecting the LS460 to be better than all these other cars in terms of reliability, but the Landcruiser, Prius, and Camry have been better. By the way, you left out my other issues like the tires, brakes, valve springs, and wind noise.

@BT3100, It's too bad that the Lexus dealers have been declining in customer service. The problem is who provides top notch service in the car dealership business? TESLA doesn't have car dealers! I just avoid the dealer. The quality seems to be going back up for Lexus at least according to consumer reports. I hear your frustration and I agree with you that the 2007-09 years are a dip in Lexus LS460 quality, but what are your alternatives? TESLA? Lexus is still up there in quality even with these issues.

Oh...I have never purchased an extended warranty on any car, appliance, electronic equipment, home, etc. I just try to purchase reliable items and fix them myself or do enough research to know how/where to fix. I only go to the dealer for recalls and warranty repairs. If I should have ever purchased an extended warranty, the 2008 LS460 is probably the one due to the decline in Lexus quality in this year. This is a testament to their lower quality.

Last edited by LexusManny; 11-30-15 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 09:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure why you would call the dealership to ask about warranty coverage. I would have called Lexus.

I don't know what to tell you guys...you sound like you expect these 7 and 8 year old cars to be new cars...they aren't. BT's issues are the sort of thing I would be more frustrated about...but having to pay $250 for better brakes? $700 for a replacement amp, $1,500 in suspension overhaul on an 8 year old car? Complaining because tires only last 35k when the warning in the owners manual says to expect life shorter than 20k miles? I just don't think this is the right car for you.
Old 11-30-15, 09:51 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

@SW15LS, what's your beef? You can't accept that the 2008 LS460 has issues. If it was reliable, I wouldn't be having these issues. I've checked the consumer reports reliability ratings on the Camry, Prius, and Landcruiser and they are way better than the LS. I'm sure if I check the Lexus ES and RX, those reliability ratings would be better too.

It doesn't matter if the car is 8 years old or not. A reliable car is a reliable car. The LS460 suffers from issues that are not considered normal maintenance and the issues include tires, brakes, bushings, wind noise, water pump, bad design on radiator, amp, and a few other I haven't had the pleasure of having.

I am thinking of selling my 2008 LS460. It hasn't lived up to the quality reputation of the Lexus brand. I might go after a 2011 since it appears to be more reliable.

I'm just perplexed that you defend Lexus to the point that you expect lower quality. The bottom line is that reliability took a dip and my research didn't account for how bad of a dip it was. I'm not alone in feeling this way. The predicted reliability of a Lexus is much better than what the LS460 is showing.

Oh...my 1996 Landcruiser (233k miles) is still on the original water pump...just to put some perspective on it.

Last edited by LexusManny; 11-30-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 09:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not saying there aren't issues, clearly there are common issues with that car, I'm just saying that your expectations are out of whack with reality. For instance you keep mentioning tires when I and others have repeatedly told you that is normal tire life for a vehicle like this. Read your owners manual, it warns about tire life of less than 20,000 miles. You're running at almost twice the tire life Lexus told you to expect. You say tires, brakes, bushings, aren't wear items. These things are the very definitions of wear items. The car is 8 years old with ~ 100k miles...did you expect not to have to replace tires or brakes?

You should unquestionably sell the car...and yes a newer car will be more reliable because its newer, and in cars after 2011 the control arm issue seems to be sorted. BUT, with that said you have replaced the brakes with better aftermarket parts, the amp is repaired, and for $1,500 your control arm issue could be solved. So, its going to cost you more than $1,500 to upgrade to a 2011. That car is still going to need tires and brakes, and at some point in its life yes the suspension will wear and require work.

I don't expect low quality at all, but I don't expect 8 year old cars to not require some non maintenance repair either.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-15 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 10:08 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

I don't understand your logic. A 2015 BMW 750 is reliable because it's new? A 2015 BMW 750 will be unreliable regardless of the year.

A 2006 LS430 is reliable because it doesn't have as many issues as the 2008 LS460. So, the older car is more reliable? How can that be, it's older!

My expectation is that Lexus build a reliable car like it did in 2006 and 2011, so me and a whole bunch of other people don't get stuck repairing non-maintenance items that weren't required to repair in 2006 and 2011.
Old 11-30-15, 10:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't understand your logic. A 2015 BMW 750 is reliable because it's new? A 2015 BMW 750 will be unreliable regardless of the year.

A 2006 LS430 is reliable because it doesn't have as many issues as the 2008 LS460. So, the older car is more reliable? How can that be, it's older!

My expectation is that Lexus build a reliable car like it did in 2006 and 2011, so me and a whole bunch of other people don't get stuck repairing non-maintenance items that weren't required to repair in 2006 and 2011.
A 2015 BMW 750 is more reliable than a 2008 BMW 750 yes. Newer cars are more reliable than older cars, cars get less reliable as they get older.

As to a blanket statement that a 2006 LS430 is more reliable than a 2008 LS460, I would say it depends on the unit and how its been maintained. I personally would consider your 08 with the issues you've mentioned pretty reliable.

Like I told you, I had a 2004 LS430 and a 1998 LS400. Both of those vehicles required what you call "non maintenance repairs". The LS430 has a significant problem with blown ML amps & subs. The LS430 has many instances of air suspension failure. There are suspension issues. Does that mean the LS430 is not reliable? No...they're just getting old. As they get older there will be more discussion of problems. Look in the LS400 forum. Like I said, my LS400 had a significant starter issue we never repaired because of cost when it was younger than your LS460. It had ball joints and control arms replaced before that time too. Never mind that the 400 and 430 required timing belt replacements at a $1,200 cost every 90k miles that your 460 doesn't require. Now thats your control arm replacement.

These are complicated cars, and they have high quality components that are designed to give performance at the expense of longevity in some circumstances. If you're not okay with that you're in the wrong sort of car.

When you have an 8 year old car you don't get "stuck with" having to replace brakes, control arms & a radio amp. These things come with driving an old car. If you don't want to deal with that sort of stuff, better lease new cars.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-30-15 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 10:27 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

I'm looking at my owner's manual, what page says tires only last 20k miles? I never said my tires last 35k miles. I said 30k miles.

Other members has posted that their Michelins last half the rated miles (22k to 26k) even though they rotate every 5k miles, do wheel alignments frequently, and tires wear evenly.

So, please share where in the manual it says tires only last 20k miles. Page 570 on the 2008 LS460 owners manual doesn't mention expected miles on tires.

Quick Reply: What Are Your Top-5 Issues with the LS460?