LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What Are Your Top-5 Issues with the LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 11:02 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Are Your Top-5 Issues with the LS460?

Here are my top-5 issues on my 2008 LS460...

1. Valve Springs Safety Recall. Mine were done by PO at the dealer under warranty at 41k miles. Most LS460s should be fixed by now.

2. Mark Levinson Amp Failure. Mine was repaired at 55K miles by PO. Fixed for $700 at United Radio. Historically, price went from $325 to $450 to $700 at United Radio. Not sure what's the current repair price. Dealer usually charges double what United Radio wants.

3. Dusty OEM front brake pads and warping front rotors that only last 10k miles. Resurfacing the OEM rotors is a waste of money. Replaced with Akebono ceramic brake pads ($60), Bendix front rotors ($58), and independent repair shop labor ($120). Total $240 for less dust, longer lasting (hopefully over 30k miles), and no more warping rotors

4. Front control arm bushings are now cracked and compressed. Probably happened at 80k miles. Need to repair. Dealer anywhere from $3k to $6.5k for Lexus parts and labor. Ebay parts $335 and independent shop labor $350, so like $700 for aftermarket parts. I'm pretty sure I'm going the less expensive option since the more expensive option still fails. Anyone know what happens if you don't fix this issue?

5. Wind noise coming from triangle plastic trim. I’ll fix this myself soon enough. Just annoying when driving long distance on highway going 80 MPH.

Honorable mention 1 = tires wear out so darn fast like at 30k miles. I get the less expensive Falken Pro G4 A/S for $92 each at Americas Tires. All four installed, TPMSed, balanced, and taxed for $480 out the door. Computerized 4-wheel alignment at independent shop $50.

Last edited by LexusManny; 11-28-15 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-28-15, 12:12 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

1. Replaced one air shock.

2. Amp.

3 Driver's side folding mirror.

All replaced under warranty.
Old 11-28-15, 03:36 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Control arms replaces under CPO warranty at 99k
Wind noise not fixed
Old 11-28-15, 05:09 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

As a former Benz, Bimmer owner these are VERY minor :
Drivers door close motor
Door trim
brakes in general
Side mirrors loose
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (07-02-20)
Old 11-28-15, 07:53 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Control arms--although you can buy aftermarket and replace them yourself for under $700

Tires--If you don't rotate them you'll be replacing them every 25k miles

I know the cars have problems with amps, the air suspension and brake actuators

Things that I'm amazed with...

The ride

The entire brake system I find to be flawless and so capable (and trouble free for me). I've owned cars in the past that when you get to 100k miles you were replacing calipers, hoses, lines, rotors. All I've done is pads...no shimmy, no shake, no noise and great stopping power. As trouble free as I've ever experienced.

The electronics have been trouble free...every seat heater works, every button, every switch, every light. Never seen that before in a 8 year old car.

Underneath the vehicle--Take a look under these things, you won't find leaks, you find anything but high quality parts. Take a look at the exhaust system...just clean and beefy. The rear end looks like it should be on a tank. The steering system is trouble free- I've never even heard of a tie rod failing on one of these cars, that's absurd.

The stability assist and traction control are top notch. This is a very intuitive system that has saved my a$$ multiple times...unlike my wife's Honda CRV system that nearly put us all in heaven on multiple scary occasions....and that vehicle is "AWD".
Old 11-28-15, 11:19 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Chaos236
As a former Benz, Bimmer owner these are VERY minor :
Drivers door close motor
Door trim
brakes in general
Side mirrors loose
I know that's right. I'm a former MB and BMW owner.
Old 11-28-15, 04:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts
Default What Are Your Top-5 Issues with the LS460?

Top 5? I'm hard pressed to name one.

1. Peeling wrap on drip molding.

2. uh......
Old 11-28-15, 04:51 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Should I play the lottery? I have more than 5 issues...
CamelKool (07-02-20)
Old 11-29-15, 08:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My "issues":

1 battery
1 water pump
mufflers
brake rotors that were warped

All with nearly 100k miles. Most reliable car I've ever owned, which is about 17 cars in total between my wife and I.
CamelKool (07-02-20)
Old 11-29-15, 08:31 AM
LexusManny
Rookie

Roadfrog: Is that the battery on your key fob? LOL. I just replaced mine last month.

You are all making me feel like I got a lemon. I know my issues are not that bad compared to other luxury brands, but still I'm hitting most of the Lexus LS460 known problem areas. I do have a 2008 with a 10/2007 manufacturing date, so maybe still an early production run.

Some of you are listing normal maintenance items like the car's battery, water pump and belts at around 100k miles, even brakes every 15k-20k miles could be considered maintenance. I'm hitting these too.

I guess I'm one of the very few whose LS460 is experiencing most of the known top issues. Let's knock on wood I don't get the brake actuator issue.
Old 11-29-15, 11:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
Roadfrog: Is that the battery on your key fob? LOL. I just replaced mine last month.

You are all making me feel like I got a lemon. I know my issues are not that bad compared to other luxury brands, but still I'm hitting most of the Lexus LS460 known problem areas. I do have a 2008 with a 10/2007 manufacturing date, so maybe still an early production run.

Some of you are listing normal maintenance items like the car's battery, water pump and belts at around 100k miles, even brakes every 15k-20k miles could be considered maintenance. I'm hitting these too.

I guess I'm one of the very few whose LS460 is experiencing most of the known top issues. Let's knock on wood I don't get the brake actuator issue.
That doesn't sound that bad, aside from the amp all you had to pay for was the water pump and radiator? Doesn't look too bad - water pumps on most cars are replaced at 100k as preventive maintenance measures (during a timing belt service), and the recalls shouldn't have cost you a thing. Is there more? And what happened to your radiator? Did the tech lean on the tab to the overflow tank and break it during the water pump replacement?
Old 11-29-15, 12:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Yeah I don't think any of these items sound excessive at all...
Old 11-29-15, 01:07 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My "issues":

1 battery

All with nearly 100k miles. Most reliable car I've ever owned, which is about 17 cars in total between my wife and I.
Chris, what was the problem with the battery? Was it the original or was it replaced before you bought the car?
Old 11-29-15, 02:11 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Re: Did the tech lean on the tab to the overflow tank and break it during the water pump replacement?

Yup, that's what happened. I did NOT complain about the water pump or radiator in my original post on my top-5 issues.

I suppose my main complaint is the number of issues and cost of ownership being higher than I expected.

I wasn't expecting to experiment with aftermarket rotors to solve the warped rotor issue.

I wasn't expecting the bushings on the control arms to be that expensive to repair.

I wasn't expecting my car to eat tires for dinner every 30k miles.

Oh...and I'm not hearing others hit the same problems as me, so I must be one of the very few getting all the known issues.

Last edited by LexusManny; 11-29-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-29-15, 02:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I mean...it's an 8 year old,flagship luxury car. I've never owned a Lexus that had tires that lasted much past 30k miles, even my ES sedans. That's part of the penalty for driving a heavy ride biased car with soft quiet tires and on tire pressures that are chosen for comfort, not longevity. Hell, I just replaced tires with 8k miles on them just to get the best tires I could on the car.

Aftermarket rotors aren't an issue. The control arm issue is well documented.

If you expect an 8 year old LS460 to be as problem free and cheap to own as a Camry you need to adjust your expectations.

Quick Reply: What Are Your Top-5 Issues with the LS460?