LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

go from 01 GS430 to 09 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-15, 01:25 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default go from 01 GS430 to 09 LS460?

Hey guys, looking for some advice. I currently have an 01 GS430 that I paid cash for w/76k on it, now, 7 years later, has 180k on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it runs perfectly and is the best car I've ever owned. Other than regular maintenance all it has needed was (2) ~$5 power lock motors. It doesn't burn or leak any oil whatsoever. For some reason I put a deposit on CPO 09 LS460 w/35k on it (Lexus warranty, 3yr or 100k from date of purchase) that I'm going to look at this weekend. I went on the Lexus owner's site and got all the maintenance history on it. It was all basic maintenance done at the owner's local Lexus dealer. I know it was an older person because of the low miles, carfax had an entry about exempted emissions, and the service records had something about the owner bringing it in to find their hearing aid underneath the seats somewhere. The perfect find IMO.

I do all my own maintenance; timing belts, brakes, whatever, only time I take it somewhere is for tire mounting and alignments. Am I nuts for ditching my GS430 to go to this LS460? I keep going back and forth on this, driving myself nuts. Part of me believes there's a lot of life left in the GS430 and part of me just thinks it's time to move on. For a DIY, is the LS460 gonna be a pain in the ***? The GS430 is a pretty simple machine.

What do you DIY guys think?

Last edited by boosteddsm; 11-18-15 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-18-15, 01:55 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The '09 LS is definitely more complex and advanced. The LS is a whole new level and driving experience. With the 3 yr/100K warranty you shouldn't have to much to worry about. I'm no DIY but there's nothing wrong with doing your own maintenance but I think the LS will be more complex and hopefully it want be needing much.
Old 11-18-15, 02:15 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The LS is old hat where diy is concerned. If you diy-ed a 430 you have a decent head-start.
Old 11-18-15, 06:14 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

My opinion from what information you gave us is to keep the GS. The car is running well and probably will go another 100K miles without anything other than normal maintenance. You paid cash for the car so you are good there. If you buy the LS you will either borrow or draw down your bank account. Not to mention both your insurance and property/excise tax will increase.

Of course when you drive the LS it will feel much better not only because of the upgrade, but because a newer car will almost always feel better. If that car is really what you want then I would say go for it. However, somehow reading your initial post I have a feeling like you really can't justify the added expense at this time, just that it would be nice to have a new car.

I'd love to have you as a member of the LS forum, but somehow I think for the time being you are better off in the GS one. In either case good luck and please report back with what you decide.
Old 11-19-15, 08:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
The LS is old hat where diy is concerned. If you diy-ed a 430 you have a decent head-start.
For a DIY, is the LS460 gonna be a pain in the ***?

Like SD said, there is no witchcraft involved with the LS. Basic stuff. I'm not a mechanic, nor do I have any training and I do pretty much everything myself. Brakes are super easy, oil changes a breeze, etc. I've done DIY posts here on spark plug changes and some electrical mods (side view mirrors, PS module, etc). Trust me, the LS is a reliable and easy vehicle to work on. You're already familiar with the GS, so the LS is a small step where tech is involved.
Old 11-19-15, 08:59 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have your financial ducks in a row then go for it. If having to borrow rubs you wrong then don't. If the thought of payments bothers you then don't.

Mechanically you seem proficient at basic stuff so I don't see how the LS would be any more challenging. I am not a mechanic but have done everything for both my Lexus vehicles.(Except a stupid battery & cable for $500! I'm still peeved about that)

It's my personal belief after everything is solid financially in your life I'd rather have something I ENJOY than have it sitting in the bank. Hardware vs paper numbers I'd take hardware.
Old 11-19-15, 09:14 AM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Thanks for all the input, keep it coming! My worry is more the cost of parts, not so much the technical ability...
Old 11-19-15, 10:08 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

I don't think LS parts are much more expensive than GS parts. The jump comes when you move from Toyota to Lexus.

Kind of sounds like you want an LS. If you can afford it while meeting your other financial objectives, go for it. It's a different ride from the GS... bigger, heavier, quieter, smoother.
Old 11-21-15, 12:20 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

My worry is more the cost of parts, not so much the technical ability...
They're seldom more expensive than any othe vehicle if you shop wisely. For example:

60 bucks for a radiator
55 bucks for a water pump
Brake rotors for about 25 bucks apiece.

The only time I've paid more than average for anything was spark plugs, because I went with the Denso branded ones, which work properly, unlike "one size fits all" Bosch, NGK, etc.
Old 11-21-15, 02:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
They're seldom more expensive than any othe vehicle if you shop wisely. For example:

60 bucks for a radiator
55 bucks for a water pump
Brake rotors for about 25 bucks apiece.

The only time I've paid more than average for anything was spark plugs, because I went with the Denso branded ones, which work properly, unlike "one size fits all" Bosch, NGK, etc.
Thats assuming that one is comfortable with Chinese eBay parts...I personally wouldn't be.
Old 11-21-15, 08:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Thats assuming that one is comfortable with Chinese eBay parts...I personally wouldn't be.
Well, the brake rotors were American Bendix and the rad was also American (with Lifetime warranty). Can't remember if the water pump was domestic or not, but it also has a lifetime warranty and I don't mind having to replace it a couple times if it saves me a couple hundred bucks. So far so good though after 40k kms and just over a year. Many, but not all parts on Ebay are Chinese.

On edit: The water pump (now 46 bucks on Ebay), is made by GMB which is a Japanese Company, seems good quality:
http://www.gmb.jp/en/product/cooling/water_pump.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMB-170-3010...xTwbGr&vxp=mtr

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-21-15 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-21-15, 09:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Also just ordered these rear rotors (two for 46 bucks), which may be Chinese, not sure ......but seem like decent quality:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111821867252?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 11-22-15, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You just have to give that disclaimer when you advise people. For instance I know you and I have talked about chinese ball joints and even chinese bootleg snow tires. A lot of people (I would say most) who buy a car like this, even a used one, are going to want to put OEM or quality brand name aftermarket parts on it...so telling them parts are "cheap" and a radiator is $60 etc etc without that disclaimer is doing them a disservice.
Old 11-22-15, 08:50 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by boosteddsm
Hey guys, looking for some advice. I currently have an 01 GS430 that I paid cash for w/76k on it, now, 7 years later, has 180k on it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it runs perfectly and is the best car I've ever owned...For some reason I put a deposit on CPO 09 LS460 w/35k on it (Lexus warranty, 3yr or 100k from date of purchase)
Small world! I was in nearly the same dilemma ~1yr ago. I had a beautiful '02 GS430 that was also the definition of reliable, but at nine years of ownership and ~110k mi, I was ready to drive something else.

High on my list was the '10 LS460 awd. I decided the modest enhancements in '10 (front / rear bumpers and lights, nav surround button layout, audio features, etc) were worth the extra bucks over the '09. I was just extremely impressed with the quality of everything I touched. I was also extremely intrigued by its ability to shut out the outside world from noise to road feel. Ultimately, I decided that it wasn't any faster than my outgoing GS and passed. I dream of the '13 LS now, but it's still no faster. Argh!

I reminisce about "my" GS from time to time and wonder why I didn't just drive it a few more years, but then remember how it hated snow and was no faster than a '07 ES350. The nail in the coffin was when I couldn't come around a year or two old Merc E-class diesel with 4 guys in it on a fwy on-ramp. That was it.

At that point, I put it for sale with a rather high price. I got one single call and they ended up paying full ask. I figured that was a sign, but it was bittersweet. The buyer zeroed in on the GS model and were jazzed at finding mine. I say bittersweet because they knew it was far from falling apart. That really made me think twice, but their fist full of $ made it a more than fair trade. And the "market" said there were very few buyers at that price.

Sorry, enough about me. In a round about way, I think it's about you though...

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-22-15, 09:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Ultimately, I decided that it wasn't any faster than my outgoing GS and passed. I dream of the '13 LS now, but it's still no faster. Argh!
If the most important consideration is the car being "faster" then no, its not going to do it. What the LS is all about though, and what makes it superior to the GS is not "being faster", its the overall refinement, the size, the comfort, the smooth and quiet nature of the car.

The LS is a special car, having had several of them as well as several ES's and a GS, all of those cars have good attributes...but the LS is the quintessential Lexus.

Quick Reply: go from 01 GS430 to 09 LS460?