LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

go from 01 GS430 to 09 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 09:11 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally agreed on all accounts.
Old 11-22-15, 10:09 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You just have to give that disclaimer when you advise people. For instance I know you and I have talked about chinese ball joints and even chinese bootleg snow tires. A lot of people (I would say most) who buy a car like this, even a used one, are going to want to put OEM or quality brand name aftermarket parts on it...so telling them parts are "cheap" and a radiator is $60 etc etc without that disclaimer is doing them a disservice.
I'm not selling anything, so no disclaimer required. Any "disclaimers" can be read on the website they purchase from. FWIW, most, if not all parts I quoted are the same ones bought at Schucks, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. Just at a cheaper price because you're buying directly from suppliers, etc. It's always "buyer beware" regardless. As for the tires, they're not "bootleg". They're made by Triangle Tire which is one of the largest tire companies in the world. http://www.triangle-tire.com/passenger/TR777.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Group

They're just a direct copy of the tread pattern found on the Michelin x-ice.

As for your comment about members wanting OEM.....I disagree. I think it's the opposite. Look at all the threads of those bemoaning the cost of OEM and looking for alternatives.

Regardless, I'm not being argumetative. I enjoy the exchanges. Also, there are times where I would definately stay OEM (as I stated with regards to the Denso spark plugs). I also stay with OEM oil filters as well as TGMO oil.
Old 11-22-15, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

We'll have to agree to disagree about the tires. If they're direct copies of the Michelins...they're bootleg tires.
Old 11-22-15, 11:24 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the most important consideration is the car being "faster" then no, its not going to do it. What the LS is all about though, and what makes it superior to the GS is not "being faster", its the overall refinement, the size, the comfort, the smooth and quiet nature of the car.

The LS is a special car, having had several of them as well as several ES's and a GS, all of those cars have good attributes...but the LS is the quintessential Lexus.

Agreed. Having just drove it I think slotting that RC F engine in the LS would do WONDERS. 467hp delivering 450 lbs of torque starting at 2000 rpms would be phenomenal.
Old 11-22-15, 12:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

We'll have to agree to disagree about the tires. If they're direct copies of the Michelins...they're bootleg tires.
I think we're just quibbling over the term "bootleg". Bootleg means that there's an illegal infringement on copyright. Copyrights expire. The design of the TR777 is an older one. What I think you have more an issue with is the quality of the tire in question. Another example of copied designs (done legally), are small honda engines (those in lawnmowers etc). Kipor for example, uses copied Honda engines in their Gensets. Legally, because the copyright expired.
Old 11-22-15, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer to buy products that come from manufacturers who create their own designs. Legal or illegal.
Old 11-22-15, 02:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I prefer to buy products that come from manufacturers who create their own designs. Legal or illegal.
yet you owned and drove an LS430 - practically a clone of a certain Mercedes....

Just messin' with you my friend.
Old 11-22-15, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I realize you're just kidding, but there's a difference between somethings like the LS and a bootleg copy. There are Chinese bootleg copies of cars that are pretty hilariously blatant
Old 11-22-15, 04:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I realize you're just kidding, but there's a difference between somethings like the LS and a bootleg copy. There are Chinese bootleg copies of cars that are pretty hilariously blatant
LOL. I saw an episode of Fifth Gear that featured those cars/suv's/vans. It was truly amazing. More hilarious, were the names they gave them.
Old 11-23-15, 01:25 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Small world! I was in nearly the same dilemma ~1yr ago. I had a beautiful '02 GS430 that was also the definition of reliable, but at nine years of ownership and ~110k mi, I was ready to drive something else.
Yep, sounds like were in the same situation. What would have happened to me is if I bought that LS it would stay in the garage and I'd end up dailying the GS, which would be silly. I have a thing about getting rid of perfectly good cars that I wouldn't get much money for if I sold and I end up just keeping them.

Thats assuming that one is comfortable with Chinese eBay parts...I personally wouldn't be.
Right, me neither. There's no way I'm putting on crap replacement parts, especially for something like ball joints. Toyota/Lexus parts all the way for me.

Well, I didn't get the LS. I put a deposit on it (which was refundable) and drove 2 hours with a bank check so they knew up front there wouldn't be a financing issue. I was told a price a couple weeks before and figured I could get them down a bit when I got there and saw the car. The car was near perfect, a couple of rashes that, after I pointed out, they had their detailer wet sand and polish. That should have been done before the car even went up for sale. Anyway, I was ready to pull the trigger on it. Bottom line, after being there all day, they weren't willing to go down on the price at all, not a penny. I just wanted them to do SOMETHING, even a couple hundred and I probably would have done it. Unless it was advertised as a no haggle price there's no way I'm paying asking price for a used car and it's dumb of them to expect that IMO. Told him to give me my deposit back, I'm out. Totally expected him to come back w/an offer or a phone call after I left but nope, nothing.

Last edited by boosteddsm; 11-23-15 at 06:19 PM.
Old 11-23-15, 02:23 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Wow, am shocked that they didn't concede something to you. I guess they must be selling everything on the lot these days. Either that or they have another buyer on the line.

Props to you though for not giving in. I don't think there are many people who would have the will power. Good job! There will be another car coming along.