LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I might stop doing extended oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 08:21 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Roadfrog, did you see anything?

Further, I started using Redline 5w30, but there was hesitation and sporadic acceleration. So about 6,400 miles into the 7,500 oil change interval; I switched to 0w30 & added Royal Purple max clean to the gas and now the LS is back to its spry condition
​​​​​​​Did you experience the sporadic performance throughout the entire 6,400 miles or just at the beginning like others have experienced in occasion?
Old 12-28-16, 09:57 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Did you experience the sporadic performance throughout the entire 6,400 miles or just at the beginning like others have experienced in occasion?
The sporadic traits were always present throughout the entire 6,400 miles (it was disgusting).
Old 12-28-16, 07:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Roadfrog, did you see anything?

Further, I started using Redline 5w30, but there was hesitation and sporadic acceleration. So about 6,400 miles into the 7,500 oil change interval; I switched to 0w30 & added Royal Purple max clean to the gas and now the LS is back to its spry condition
No issues for over two years now. Ever since I switched to TGMO 0w20, the issue has never reappeared. That would be five oil changes or so. In fairness, the Castrol 5W30 did not present hesitation either. I have nearly 6k miles on that oil and will be going back to the TGMO 0W20.
Old 12-29-16, 04:37 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No issues for over two years now. Ever since I switched to TGMO 0w20, the issue has never reappeared. That would be five oil changes or so. In fairness, the Castrol 5W30 did not present hesitation either. I have nearly 6k miles on that oil and will be going back to the TGMO 0W20.
Did you lose any oil with the 5w30?
Old 12-29-16, 06:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Did you lose any oil with the 5w30?
Yep...no difference. About a quart at 4k miles.
Old 12-30-16, 07:47 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Against my better judgement, I followed the book and waited to the recommended interval @ 10k. Well, my car only has 9,400 miles, but I'm just taking it in for the 10k service today.

I've been periodically manually checking my oil level and it's fine. The color looks good to me, not black at all. Drives fine.

I would have got an oil change at 5k if I planned on keeping this car long term, but since in all likelihood I'll be turning it in and getting the new LS, I'm just following the book service interval guidelines, which is 10k
Old 12-30-16, 01:59 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Against my better judgement, I followed the book and waited to the recommended interval @ 10k. Well, my car only has 9,400 miles, but I'm just taking it in for the 10k service today.

I've been periodically manually checking my oil level and it's fine. The color looks good to me, not black at all. Drives fine.

I would have got an oil change at 5k if I planned on keeping this car long term, but since in all likelihood I'll be turning it in and getting the new LS, I'm just following the book service interval guidelines, which is 10k
Like you said, you'll be trading it in anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I think a Mercedes tech I once watched on YouTube had an excellent idea that he loves by regarding oil changes. He follows recommended service interval until the car reaches a certain mileage, then he cuts back on that interval when the car reaches 70,000 miles. At that point he figures that the engine has reached a phase in it's wear/life. He drops the interval down to 7,500 from 10,000. Then when the car reaches 120,000 miles he drops the interval down again - to 5,000-6,000 mile intervals - he also changes the weight by increasing the viscosity a little bit to accommodate for wear. He swears by this technique. I thought it was sort of interesting to see an actual old experienced Mercedes tech talk like that, he was very logical in his explanation for it and certainly wasn't forcing his opinion on anyone...wish I had the link. He also swears by oil extractors, rather than pulling the oil plug - which I thought was nuts - be he showed how the extractor actually gets more oil out than be doing a simple oil change. And Mercedes puts their filters on the top of the engine, so you'd save yourself from having to put it in the air. Unfortunately the LS isn't like that or I'd buy myself an extractor and use it every time.

As for your oil looking clean...that's normal due to how new your car is. At 5,000 miles I can tell you that my oil doesn't look nearly as clean, but then again my engine has 143,000 miles and is ten years old. Despite always using synthetic, there's still plenty of byproduct kicking around in there.
Old 12-30-16, 02:21 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

I visited my St Louis Lexus dealership for an oil change today. I did the previous one in March about 7500 miles ago. They had used a 0W20 synthetic last time ($124 total). I called yesterday to confirm the appointment and asked what brand they used. Since I didn't get a clear answer, I asked if I could bring my preferred brand and they said sure. So I bought 10 qts Mobil 1 0W20 at Walmart ($55) and they used it today ($48). Waited at dealership in plush rooms with family. The money saved was put to good use to watch Rogue One at the nearby mall! Turned out to be a perfectly sunny and "warm" (51F) to boot
Old 03-26-17, 06:07 PM
altoreid
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thinking about doing extended oil changes.

After reading these threads, I have decided to try a modified extended oil change routine.
The car has 75k on it and I just changed the oil and filter. Mobile 1 0-20w Extended Performance
and a Premium Guard EX filter.

I am going to change the oil filter in 2500 miles just in case the previous owner ran dino oil and the synthetic does some cleaning action. No engine flushes for me. Top up oil.
Change the oil and filter at 5000 mile interval.
Change oil filter in 2500 miles and top off oil.
Start of new extended oil change routine;
Extract and replace 5 quarts of oil and change oil filter at 3500 mile interval. Top off oil.
Change oil and filter at 7000 mile interval.
Repeat new extended oil change routine.

Wally World is selling the Mobile 1 Extended Performance 0-20w 5 quart jug just under $26.00.
Happy medium for me and the car. Also help keeps the earth a little more greener along with my pocket book.

Last edited by altoreid; 03-26-17 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Lost connection
Old 03-27-17, 09:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Does anyone use a OW 30 instead of OW 20 for increased protection in their LS460? Any issues? I have read debates about the move to 20 oil and it being rushed just to increase fuel economy at the expense of some greater engine protection. If I get a LS or GS I think I would rather go with a OW 30 and get a little less fuel economy if there are no issues.
Old 03-27-17, 09:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Does anyone use a OW 30 instead of OW 20 for increased protection in their LS460? Any issues? I have read debates about the move to 20 oil and it being rushed just to increase fuel economy at the expense of some greater engine protection. If I get a LS or GS I think I would rather go with a OW 30 and get a little less fuel economy if there are no issues.
There is SOOOO much more to an oil's ability to protect than weight/viscosity. TGMO 0W20 has a ton of moly in it and also happens to be a great oil made by Mobil1. FWIW, I used a 5W30 for one of my intervals and it didn't make any difference in consumption and had to replace a qt at about 3-4k miles. I'll stick with TGMO 0W20 based on the excellent oil analysis results from Blackstone Labs. Keep in mind that the VVT-I system in our cars will benefit from the proper viscosity and make-up of the oil we use. I have 140k miles or so on my engine now and don't want to "experiment", as it runs like a top.
Old 03-27-17, 12:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by altoreid
After reading these threads, I have decided to try a modified extended oil change routine.
The car has 75k on it and I just changed the oil and filter. Mobile 1 0-20w Extended Performance
and a Premium Guard EX filter.

I am going to change the oil filter in 2500 miles just in case the previous owner ran dino oil and the synthetic does some cleaning action. No engine flushes for me. Top up oil.
Change oil filter in 2500 miles and top off oil.
Start of new extended oil change routine;
Extract and replace 5 quarts of oil and change oil filter at 3500 mile interval. Top off oil.
Change oil and filter at 7000 mile interval.
Repeat new extended oil change routine.

Wally World is selling the Mobile 1 Extended Performance 0-20w 5 quart jug just under $26.00.
Happy medium for me and the car. Also help keeps the earth a little more greener along with my pocket book.
So once you get to the point where you are going to try extended drains you are going to replace 5 quarts of oil and the filter at the 3500 mile mark and then go to 7,000 miles? And you're going to be using an oil that is capable of 15,000 mile drain intervals? I wouldn't really call that an extended drain, lol. You sound like me, I've extracted 3 quarts or so at the 4,000 mile mark and replenished it with fresh fluid...then drained it at 7,000 miles. I didn't replace the filter in between but I'll tell yeah, it really limited my oil usage (not that my car uses much). By syphoning 3 quarts out and replenishing, it must have boosted the viscosity or replenished the additive package because I used zero oil on that oil change (but then again I used 3 quarts). And when I did change my oil at the 7,000 mile mark it looked great...cleaner looking than usual (as you'd expect I guess).

I dont generally use this formula but I'd certainly do it again, in fact I'd modify it...next time I'd change the filter and replenish 3-4 quarts at the 5,000 mile mark, then push it out to 10,000 miles. I'd feel pretty comfortable doing that.
Old 03-27-17, 11:05 PM
altoreid
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Mobile 1 Annual Protection Oil 20k OCI

Thanks Doublebase for testing out partial drains and filter changes to help extend oil changes.
Now Mobile 1 has a new Annual Protection Oil good for 20k miles or 1 year. Don't know how it compares to Mobile 1 Extended Performance oil, but it might work for our ideas of pushing partial oil changes and filter changes out to 10k maybe 15k.
I get the feeling Mobile 1 Annual Protection oil is finally a true synthetic based oil. I haven't seen any price on a 5 quart jug of this.
Old 07-09-17, 06:00 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Well kind of strange, got this oil for free, gave it a shot not expecting much. I'm now at 5,000 miles on this interval and I haven't used a drop of oil, not a drop. And it looks clean. Did some research and apparently this is a lower end Castrol synthetic product. It being 0w20 means it has slightly better base stocks, but it still isn't exactly a high end synthetic. I don't know if the warmer weather has contributed to less usuage or what, but I must say I've been impressed.
​​​​​​​
Old 07-10-17, 09:46 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There is SOOOO much more to an oil's ability to protect than weight/viscosity. TGMO 0W20 has a ton of moly in it and also happens to be a great oil made by Mobil1. FWIW, I used a 5W30 for one of my intervals and it didn't make any difference in consumption and had to replace a qt at about 3-4k miles. I'll stick with TGMO 0W20 based on the excellent oil analysis results from Blackstone Labs. Keep in mind that the VVT-I system in our cars will benefit from the proper viscosity and make-up of the oil we use. I have 140k miles or so on my engine now and don't want to "experiment", as it runs like a top.
can you post your Blackstone UOA?

Quick Reply: I might stop doing extended oil change intervals