LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

No volume control please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-15, 07:54 PM
KINGPIN555
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No volume control please advise...

2007 Lexus LS460L

Making sure it's not a ML amp issue....?

Ok....today check fuse.... Looks fine.... Disconnect battery... Hoping it with reset itself... No good....
Located amp on rt side trunk.... Disconnect all plug on amp while radio is on... No good....
Listened for chirp.... No chirp....hmm... What else can I do?

Look at audio on screen.... Treble and bass is at far right cannot adjust at all....
Look the surround sound with picture of seat.... It is at the bottom right corner.... Cannot adjust either....
Running out of option.... Anyone else have this problem and what you do to fix it....

Please advise or any kind of input will help....

Thanks!
Old 11-16-15, 05:37 AM
KINGPIN555
Driver School Candidate

Disconnecting the battery again.... Running out of options...
Old 11-16-15, 06:11 AM
JiffyPop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to be a problem with the actual head unit itself. If a exte,ded battery disconnect (30 min plus) doesn't work, it's possible a replacement may be in order.
Old 11-16-15, 06:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If a 30 min battery disconnect doesn't work, then I agree with Jiffypop. Sounds like a failure of the head unit.
Old 11-16-15, 07:49 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Depending on if this is it, and what color your interior is, Ebay has some for under $500, plus you can always check for one from a wrecked one.
Old 11-16-15, 05:24 PM
KINGPIN555
Driver School Candidate

Disconnect the battery for about 3 hours.... Still no good....

Someone told me the amp control the volume.... Head unit and amp gold hand in hand... Going to send off amp first to get it check.... Then head unit... Since it's going to cost me $60 to remove my head unit...1 hour work they say... Wow... I'm sure I can do it with proper tools.... Anyone has diagram how to take radio unit out...

Thanks
Old 11-16-15, 05:45 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Call United Radio in Syracuse NY before you go any further....... Hopefully they can direct you on what the problem is (amp or radio) and how to proceed. They do all Lexus dealer amp/radio repairs in a timely manner.
Removal of the radio is "fairly easy" with minimal tools.
Old 11-16-15, 07:27 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGPIN555
Disconnect the battery for about 3 hours.... Still no good....

Someone told me the amp control the volume.... Head unit and amp gold hand in hand... Going to send off amp first to get it check.... Then head unit... Since it's going to cost me $60 to remove my head unit...1 hour work they say... Wow... I'm sure I can do it with proper tools.... Anyone has diagram how to take radio unit out...

Thanks
There is a YouTube video on how to remove the radio...... Google: "Lexus LS radio removal" and it should pop right up.
Pretty easy job that takes less than one hour the first time you remove the radio or NAV..... after that it should take less than 30 minutes.
Tip! Take your time and be gentle........ Wrap a rag on the shifter **** threads and use masking tape on the wood trim faces to prevent scratches. Tools needed: 10 mm nut driver or socket and a plastic pry bar.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 11-16-15 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 08:28 AM
KINGPIN555
Driver School Candidate

Thanks chuck....watched it... So easy!
Going to call United radio first....see what they think...
Old 11-17-15, 07:59 PM
KINGPIN555
Driver School Candidate

Called United radio...they said yep...seems like the "Dam" Amp!....they said send it in...we can check it out for you.... Cost between 350-725..., most likely 725 depend on model... I said good.... Let me go collect some cans first or sale my body by the hour .... Got to have my music.... Lol

Amp coming out in the morning....
Old 11-18-15, 07:04 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar problem but don't have the same issues with the treble and bass etc being pushed to one side...I don't believe. I'll have to get into those screens the next time I lose sound.

My audio will slowly cut out...as if I'm losing radio signal. This happens with all modes...radio, CD, HD etc. Sound will be gone for the remainder of the drive. Turning the volume **** yields not feedback, ie the screen doesn't show the volume counting up or down. If I power off the head unit for 15-30 mins it will usually come back on...the sound. Here's a video of how it goes out.

I sent my amp (which the previous owner had refurbished via the dealer some 40K miles ago) to United Radio and and after several tests they told me the amp was working fine and suspected the head unit. I have yet to pull it out and send it to them for testing. I'm almost inclined to buy a used one if the price is right to swap and test first as well.
Old 11-18-15, 10:38 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke21
I have a similar problem but don't have the same issues with the treble and bass etc being pushed to one side...I don't believe. I'll have to get into those screens the next time I lose sound.

My audio will slowly cut out...as if I'm losing radio signal. This happens with all modes...radio, CD, HD etc. Sound will be gone for the remainder of the drive. Turning the volume **** yields not feedback, ie the screen doesn't show the volume counting up or down. If I power off the head unit for 15-30 mins it will usually come back on...the sound. Here's a video of how it goes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxfuAaeXcu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJm9RqYCd7U

I sent my amp (which the previous owner had refurbished via the dealer some 40K miles ago) to United Radio and and after several tests they told me the amp was working fine and suspected the head unit. I have yet to pull it out and send it to them for testing. I'm almost inclined to buy a used one if the price is right to swap and test first as well.
In your case I see the ASL or whatever it's called moving up and down.. Does the same issue occur if you're at idle or parked?
Old 11-19-15, 06:23 AM
Zeke21
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
In your case I see the ASL or whatever it's called moving up and down.. Does the same issue occur if you're at idle or parked?
Yes, it does. The sound will cut out even if I start the car and leave it running for some time (not have ever moved it). I've even turned the ASL off and it still cuts out.
Old 06-17-18, 07:52 PM
Kram
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to have my amp fixed and sent it to New York they called with the cost to fix and I got it back in a total of only 10 days and it cost me 400 my car is a RX330 2004 you need to send in your amp first they told me that the amps don’t have good cooling and that is why they go bad you may have over heated your amp when you installed your extra amp hope this helps and saves you time .