LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How much does full tank cost and how many KM do you get per tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 08:46 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much does full tank cost and how many KM do you get per tank?

ES owner here thinking of moving to LS.. want to know gas details..

-how much does it cost you to fill your tank?
-how many KM/miles do you get per tank?
-what is your model and year ?

Last edited by Lexus081; 11-13-15 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-12-15, 09:28 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In the US (WA) here...

Premium gas at my location is about $3.10, and my average fill is about 18 gallons, so that's about $56 US a tank. In mixed driving I'm getting around 22 mpg, for just short of 400 miles (or about 635 km) per tank. That's with a gentle right foot and the mileage can drop quickly if I drive aggressively.

Sounds from both your price and your distance like you still have a lot left in the tank when you fill up.
Old 11-12-15, 11:00 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by dal20402
In the US (WA) here...

Premium gas at my location is about $3.10, and my average fill is about 18 gallons, so that's about $56 US a tank. In mixed driving I'm getting around 22 mpg, for just short of 400 miles (or about 635 km) per tank. That's with a gentle right foot and the mileage can drop quickly if I drive aggressively.

Sounds from both your price and your distance like you still have a lot left in the tank when you fill up.
premium gas is a complete scam, see CBC 15 min quick documentary on it;

but anyways on topic--

i had 18 KM range left in my tank a few days ago, and fill up was $60 Canadian ...

wow thats not bad what you get, so for $75 CAD you're getting 635KM per tank? wtf thats much more than me and i dont' drive aggressive
Old 11-13-15, 07:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus081
premium gas is a complete scam, see CBC 15 min quick documentary on it; Premium gas vs. regular: What's really better for your car? (CBC Marketplace) - YouTube

but anyways on topic--

i had 18 KM range left in my tank a few days ago, and fill up was $60 Canadian ...

wow thats not bad what you get, so for $75 CAD you're getting 635KM per tank? wtf thats much more than me and i dont' drive aggressive
Keep in mind that an LS460 fuel tank is probably larger than other Lexus models.
Old 11-13-15, 08:43 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

NW Indiana, about 30 minutes outside of the heart of Chicago/Lake Michigan...

Premium just dropped to $2.80 this morning.
I already had a good bit less than 1/4 tank and if I recall, I pumped about right under 17 gallons.
I average about 19mpg, mixed driving mileage-wise as well as generally gentle driving, but sometimes a bit more aggressive on my abbreviated daily expressway stretches.
My screen upon fill up usually reads 413-417 mile range.
Old 11-13-15, 08:44 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

premium gas is a complete scam
Not for cars that are designed around it, which include the LS. The difference between premium and regular is that premium is more resistant to detonation. If you fill a LS with regular, there will be occasional minor detonation, which the engine computer will compensate for by retarding timing. At best, this robs you of a bit of power. At worst, the detonation puts additional strain on your engine and shortens engine life.

Premium is often marketed as though it solves all the world's car problems, which is obviously wrong. But it does allow carmakers to use slightly higher compression and/or more advanced timing for a bit more power.
Old 11-13-15, 09:23 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
Not for cars that are designed around it, which include the LS. The difference between premium and regular is that premium is more resistant to detonation. If you fill a LS with regular, there will be occasional minor detonation, which the engine computer will compensate for by retarding timing. At best, this robs you of a bit of power. At worst, the detonation puts additional strain on your engine and shortens engine life.

Premium is often marketed as though it solves all the world's car problems, which is obviously wrong. But it does allow carmakers to use slightly higher compression and/or more advanced timing for a bit more power.
I agree and this is where the lines get blurred. It is a scam to push super in cars that don't require premium. I watched the video and it is obvious that they are basically saying the same thing.
The problem is making blanket statements like this one.

"premium gas is a complete scam"
Old 11-13-15, 09:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Yeah, there are people here who are confusing using premium gas in a vehicle that doesn't require it and veicles that specifically REQUIRE it, based on the manufacturer's recommendation. There is also a fallacy that all premium fuels have more additives, although there are some premiums that do (and/or have no ethanol). Shell V Power Nitro Plus, is a good example of higher additive packages.

However, I'm still of the opinion that 87 or 89 octane will be compensated adequately by the knock sensors within the LS,, and I would use it if the savings were significant enough. Here in my neck o'the woods, it's not.

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-13-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 09:46 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yeah, there are people here who are confusing using premium gas in a vehicle that doesn't require it and veicles that specifically REQUIRE it, based on the manufacturer's recommendation. There is also a fallacy that all premium fuels have more additives, although there are some premiums that do (and/or have no ethanol). Shell V Power Nitro Plus, is a good example of higher additive packages.

However, I'm still of the opinion that 87 or 89 octane will be compensated adequately by the knock sensors within the LS,, and I would use it if the savings were significant enough. Here in my neck o'the woods, it's not.
The problem with knock sensors, MAF sensors and O2 sensors is that they have wide tolerances and can be prone to drift. Although sensors have gotten better over the years they are not perfect and the computer systems that adjust to the data are slow to adjust. This is why you will have knock that you can hear and not hear or not picked up by the sensor. If the system was fast acting then this condition will not exist and the car will throw a CEL. A car that is ruining on the edge is far more dangerous than one that trips the limp mode function to richen fuel to save the motor.

Last edited by Devh; 11-13-15 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 10:04 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by CRowe14
NW Indiana, about 30 minutes outside of the heart of Chicago/Lake Michigan...

Premium just dropped to $2.80 this morning.
I already had a good bit less than 1/4 tank and if I recall, I pumped about right under 17 gallons.
I average about 19mpg, mixed driving mileage-wise as well as generally gentle driving, but sometimes a bit more aggressive on my abbreviated daily expressway stretches.
My screen upon fill up usually reads 413-417 mile range.
so you're syaing for $47 bucks USD you get 415aprox miles a tank?
is hybrid model even better?
Old 11-13-15, 10:16 AM
Devh
Racer

The hybrid model was not made for economy. It was made primarily for performance in the quality of power.
There might be an economy benefit primarily for city drivers but that's about it.

Last edited by Devh; 11-13-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 10:21 AM
Lexus081
Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
The hybrid model was not made for economy. It was made primarily for performance in the quality of power.
There might be an economy benefit for primarily for city drivers but that's about it.
how many km and price do you get on your lS?
Old 11-13-15, 10:35 AM
Devh
Racer

how many km and price do you get on your lS?
I don't have an IS but if you mean LS RWD non hybrid I get about 19MPG combined.
The hybrid gets around 20MPG combined. The hybrid is more efficient as far as it's drive train but it is offset by the overall weight of the car. Hybrid does not always equate economy as it can also add to the performance of the car even in race cars.
Old 11-13-15, 11:37 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I thought the same until I started researching used Acura Legends. Long story short, in those cars there is a chronic head gasket issue whose root cause is an EGR system issue, but even minor detonation (small enough to be compensated for by the computer) can accelerate the failure. Learning that made me think again about allowing more minor detonation than necessary.
Old 11-13-15, 11:46 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

No.
I had initially stated that I had a good bit less than a 1/4 tank of fuel in the tank before I topped off.
I guess if you'd like to be near exact, I pumped ~16.785 gallons this morning, with ~5.41 gallons already in the tank.
If I was dry, the total would have been ~$62 (+/-), and that figure prompts my display to read 413-417 mi/tank.
I've also read that the reading on the screen is or "can be" off by about 2 mi/tank, on the take side.

Quick Reply: How much does full tank cost and how many KM do you get per tank?