LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

any LS owners also own LX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 04:08 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lot less techy than it's flagship counterpart but still Luxurious enough to meet most needs. I traded my 06 in for my 600h it was bulletproof as stated before I still miss it to this day.
Old 11-11-15, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default any LS owners also own LX?

The current LX doesn't lack any tech the LS has...
Old 11-13-15, 02:53 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
The current LX doesn't lack any tech the LS has...
Im not talking about current a current honda accord has a lot of tech too if you want to compare apples to oranges
Old 11-13-15, 03:10 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
Im not talking about current a current honda accord has a lot of tech too if you want to compare apples to oranges
Have you seen the 2016 tech compliment? Not the same as the outgoing 2015 LX..
Old 11-13-15, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
Then I don't understand your point. Whatever the year, the LX has never lacked tech the LS had in a comparable year.
Old 11-14-15, 01:56 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Then I don't understand your point. Whatever the year, the LX has never lacked tech the LS had in a comparable year.
It depends on what you define as tech.

If we are talking about Nav/telematics functionality, LX and LS have been generally close, though LS did get the larger screen for the major refresh in MY2013, and LX, as you know, just got it.

If we expand the interpretation of tech to include other features, from relatively basic stuff like brake hold and heated steering wheel to "fancier" things like LKA, driver attention monitor, intelligent high beams (and BSM, if we include 2013+ -only LS features), then it's a different story. MY2016 is the first model year where LX is comparably-equipped to LS in this respect. And FWIW, I still don't think brake hold made it to the LX (not really tech per se, but it still ticks me off whenever I drive our LX - even NX has this!).
Old 11-15-15, 07:06 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Your LX has the front and side camera! thats a tech that as far as i know none of the other lexus has-

Originally Posted by caha14
It depends on what you define as tech.

If we are talking about Nav/telematics functionality, LX and LS have been generally close, though LS did get the larger screen for the major refresh in MY2013, and LX, as you know, just got it.

If we expand the interpretation of tech to include other features, from relatively basic stuff like brake hold and heated steering wheel to "fancier" things like LKA, driver attention monitor, intelligent high beams (and BSM, if we include 2013+ -only LS features), then it's a different story. MY2016 is the first model year where LX is comparably-equipped to LS in this respect. And FWIW, I still don't think brake hold made it to the LX (not really tech per se, but it still ticks me off whenever I drive our LX - even NX has this!).
Old 01-19-17, 08:46 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just picked up a low mileage 2001 LX470...love it. Very solid/substantial vehicle. And nice compliment to my 2009 LS460. They couldn't drive/handle more different in many ways. But they are both damn smooth on the highway. I have the best of both worlds now.
Old 01-19-17, 09:29 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
Just picked up a low mileage 2001 LX470...love it. Very solid/substantial vehicle. And nice compliment to my 2009 LS460. They couldn't drive/handle more different in many ways. But they are both damn smooth on the highway. I have the best of both worlds now.
Congrats on the new purchase!
Old 01-19-17, 09:45 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Man do I miss my LX470. I had a 1999 that I picked up in 2012 with only 70,000 miles. Over time, added a massively upgraded stereo, ditched the running boards, swapped out the Michelin LTX's for BFG All Terrain KO2's and did a few other things. Just awesome trucks.

That said, as a daily driver, the gas mileage is utterly absurd. Especially after swapping to larger tires, I was lucky to get 10 MPG both city and hwy. It was literally cause for celebration if I made it 300 miles on an all interstate drive. Still, they frigging rule.

Not long ago, Yahoo did a survey encompassing both trucks, cars, SUV's, etc and the 100 Series LC/LX was rated the number 1 used vehicle to buy when considering reliability, resale, and many other factors.

Had more, but it seems I deleted them. On the pre 2003's, the ability to add a double DIN headunit is huge. Had Apple CarPlay and all manner of things along with JL 12W7 subwoofer, Focal Separates, and JL amplification.
Old 01-19-17, 10:24 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, as a daily driver it would be tough...the MPG is bad. But that's the only downside so far as I can tell.
Old 01-19-17, 11:58 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
I agree, as a daily driver it would be tough...the MPG is bad. But that's the only downside so far as I can tell.
It truly is. They are perhaps unmatched in snowy weather and the build quality is absurd. Same goes with the resale value. When I sold mine, which I lucked in to for $13,500 with the aforementioned 70,000 miles, I sold it with 130,000 miles and the back left door being ruined due to popping open when chock full of recyclables whilst pulling out of the driveway.

The repair was at least $3000 (and probably closer to $4000) and I still got $12,500. On a 17 year old truck! Granted, it had full service history, and a $5000 stereo system.
CV joints can be a pain (especially if using non OEM) and while there is some debate on IH8MUD, the consensus is that it is an interference motor so the timing belt/water pump service is essential that occurs at around 100,000 miles.

There are probably 1000s of 100 Series out there in the US with 300,000 miles plus. They really are all but indestructible provided you do the timing belt. If only the gas mileage was not a cruel joke...
Old 01-19-17, 02:54 PM
ClaytonW
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

LX is great. I have '16 LX and '14 LS460 and I am happy with both. No problems with mpg. My mpg for LX is about 15 (much more highway than city driving). It's O.K. for an SUV of this size. LX is probably the only SUV which can get you off-road in comfort and luxury. I changed the 21" wheels for 18" Land Cruiser wheels with AT tires and have no problems with easy or some medium difficulty offroad trails.
Old 01-19-17, 05:39 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ClaytonW
LX is great. I have '16 LX and '14 LS460 and I am happy with both. No problems with mpg. My mpg for LX is about 15 (much more highway than city driving). It's O.K. for an SUV of this size. LX is probably the only SUV which can get you off-road in comfort and luxury. I changed the 21" wheels for 18" Land Cruiser wheels with AT tires and have no problems with easy or some medium difficulty offroad trails.
Smart man. That is one of my biggest gripes with the 570 is the OEM tires used considering the inherent potential built in. LX resale value is something else and while it has been at least a year and a half, but last I looked, even 2008 200 Series with under 100k were at around $40,000 if not more.

The durability testing done on the LC/LX's is the stuff of legend and while 98% of 200 Series here live a comfy life, this is a vehicle that encounters some of the most inhospitable conditions in the world elsewhere. Granted the ROW LX offers things like front and rear differential locks, companies like ARB and I think now Slee fill in that gap if really wanting to go at it. Totally understand not wanting to risk much if any damage on a car costing around $100,000.
Old 01-20-17, 10:17 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Man do I miss my LX470. I had a 1999 that I picked up in 2012 with only 70,000 miles. Over time, added a massively upgraded stereo, ditched the running boards, swapped out the Michelin LTX's for BFG All Terrain KO2's and did a few other things. Just awesome trucks.

That said, as a daily driver, the gas mileage is utterly absurd. Especially after swapping to larger tires, I was lucky to get 10 MPG both city and hwy. It was literally cause for celebration if I made it 300 miles on an all interstate drive. Still, they frigging rule.

Not long ago, Yahoo did a survey encompassing both trucks, cars, SUV's, etc and the 100 Series LC/LX was rated the number 1 used vehicle to buy when considering reliability, resale, and many other factors.

Had more, but it seems I deleted them. On the pre 2003's, the ability to add a double DIN headunit is huge. Had Apple CarPlay and all manner of things along with JL 12W7 subwoofer, Focal Separates, and JL amplification.
Hey, I meant to post this yesterday, but failed to -- great looking LX!! Its apparent you took excellent care of it.
I cant imagine how much you miss it!
The following users liked this post:
Junglequac (01-20-17)

Quick Reply: any LS owners also own LX?