LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Playing DVD Movies on Navi (2013+)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 07:37 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks RoadFrog, and everyone else.

I'll definitely have some serious research to do, especially surrounding the installation (I have no hands-on skills when it comes to tearing apart vehicle dashboards and such).

Did most folks have their bypass units installed 'professionally', or performed it themselves?

If anyone can share how much they paid for installation, that would be great.

It would be safe to assume that no authorized Lexus dealer would risk installing this item due to potential liability issues...
Old 11-10-15, 08:00 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=roadfrog;9247412]
Originally Posted by My1998LS40
BeatSonic had a similar product on group sale last month. Maybe they still offer the same discount. Bought mine but still haven't install it yet. Waiting for a pair of headrests to get here so I can do it altogether.[/QUOTE

There's a lot of threads about the differences between the PS and Beatsonic. Most went with the PS for a few reasons, but the main one being the switch that comes with the Beatsonic. Lets just say it ain't pretty. However, it is cheaper. I also seem to recall that it doesn't come with instructions or support.
Here is one of the threads Roadfrog is speaking of, kindly and well put together by rominl.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...de-review.html
Old 11-10-15, 09:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Here's another which I posted on my DIY. Between mine an the one CROWE mentions, one should have enough info to proceed without much issue:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...with-pics.html
Old 11-10-15, 11:51 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

All posts here confirm with what I know. rominl is very knowledgeable on this subject. On the 13+ GS/LS, you might not need ML to play dvd on the nav screen while park, but I still wouldn't buy a new LS without ML.

I went with PS over other products mostly because there are no switch with PS. Turing the function on/off is done through the "+" and "-" buttons on the steering wheel. I also went with PS on my former 13 GS F-Sport with ML. Both are working great.

Installation is very easy and straight forward, and all plug-n-play. On the 13+, you still need to take off all the parts of the center console, like in roadfrog's DIY of his 2008. You will also need to take off the cup holder and the "curved" trim piece right above it. Also the two leather trim pieces on either side of the HU. Be very careful with these trim pieces since they can easily be scratched. The HU itself is much smaller in the 13+ and taking it out to access the back is much easier than the 07-12. Probably takes me 30 minutes if I do it again.
Old 11-10-15, 12:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes the 13+ is a lot easier to do compared to 07-12 imho. stuff are easier to get access to
Old 11-11-15, 09:55 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The new BeatSonic, or at least the one for my car came with very detailed instructions. And it doesn't have any switch button like the model showed in the link above. Everything is controlled by the pressing the volume button on the steering wheel. Here are a few pics of mine.

Old 11-11-15, 10:24 AM
gs350_07
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased the Beat-Sonic NDS6223EP on a special CL deal they are current having as well for my 2013 LS460. It was less than Vaistech and PS, came with detailed instructions and works as advertised. You should still be able to pm Beatsonic for the special deal.
Old 12-07-15, 01:23 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Reviving a thread from last month...

I'm considering having either the VAIS ULM-71 or the Prestigious Society Video/Nav bypass installed on my 2008 LS 600hL, and was wondering if there was a general consensus on which works better for the 600?

It seems like most go the PS route, and they are currently on sale for $229 (plus $15 shipping). From reading this thread, I learned about the VAIS system (one of the Forum sponsors), which does basically the same thing as the PS unit, and appears to not need the semi-ugly wired switch connected on the lower console. The VAIS unit says it is activated using the "factory OFF HOOK button on the steering wheel controls." The VAIS unit is currently on sale for $174.00 with free shipping.

Seems obvious the VAIS is a better deal if it truly integrates seamlessly with my LS600 without the need for the ungainly wired switch at a price $75 lower than the PS.

Any early-model LS600hL users had any experience with the VAIS unit?

Thanks!
Old 12-07-15, 02:14 PM
gs350_07
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riknchar
Reviving a thread from last month...

I'm considering having either the VAIS ULM-71 or the Prestigious Society Video/Nav bypass installed on my 2008 LS 600hL, and was wondering if there was a general consensus on which works better for the 600?

It seems like most go the PS route, and they are currently on sale for $229 (plus $15 shipping). From reading this thread, I learned about the VAIS system (one of the Forum sponsors), which does basically the same thing as the PS unit, and appears to not need the semi-ugly wired switch connected on the lower console. The VAIS unit says it is activated using the "factory OFF HOOK button on the steering wheel controls." The VAIS unit is currently on sale for $174.00 with free shipping.

Seems obvious the VAIS is a better deal if it truly integrates seamlessly with my LS600 without the need for the ungainly wired switch at a price $75 lower than the PS.

Any early-model LS600hL users had any experience with the VAIS unit?

Thanks!
Did my research before deciding on Beat-Sonic. Vaistech unit will not allow navigation to function while DVD is being watched. Both Beat-Sonic and PS does not have this problem. Beat-Sonic has an ability to program your bypass times, while PS does not.

PS is the most expensive, Vaistech is second and Beat-Sonic is the cheapest with the CL discount. Message BeatSonic directly for the deal.
Old 01-08-16, 04:42 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Watching movies is kind of neat. I just tried it out and it's nice on the widescreen.

I just wish there was some software hack that enables this. Kind of leery of modifying anything (outside of wheels and tint) to that extent with such a new car.

Really tempted, though. Maybe I'll wait until this car is more "lived-in" before I start pulling interior panels apart lol.
Old 01-11-16, 03:31 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Right after I got my car, I popped in a DVD sitting in the garage. The 5.1 audio is crazy! The video is very crisp. I was totally amazed watching Independence Day in 5.1. Insane!
Old 01-17-16, 10:57 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
Thanks RoadFrog, and everyone else.

I'll definitely have some serious research to do, especially surrounding the installation (I have no hands-on skills when it comes to tearing apart vehicle dashboards and such).

Did most folks have their bypass units installed 'professionally', or performed it themselves?

If anyone can share how much they paid for installation, that would be great.

It would be safe to assume that no authorized Lexus dealer would risk installing this item due to potential liability issues...
So what did you eventually decide on?
Old 01-31-16, 09:25 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R Z
Right after I got my car, I popped in a DVD sitting in the garage. The 5.1 audio is crazy! The video is very crisp. I was totally amazed watching Independence Day in 5.1. Insane!
Question for R Z and anyone else who did this mod. Is the DVD screen just the left 2/3rds of the display and the right 3rd still showing the input say the DVD and track number etc. wondering if there's a way to fill the whole screen or at least center it.
Old 02-01-16, 12:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't think there is a fix for that. the full screen is only on the latest generation of nav
Old 02-01-16, 12:20 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't think there is a fix for that. the full screen is only on the latest generation of nav
Boooooooo! But thanks for answering my question! At least now I know.

Quick Reply: Playing DVD Movies on Navi (2013+)