LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why not Benz S550 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 09:41 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lamborarri
I can give a few cents here.

I used to have W221 S65 and W220 S600.
Any comments / advice about owning V12 engine Mercs?

The Merc I'd consider buying is the new S-65 coupe. Beautiful car, but very expensive, I don't think it's worth the asking price at all.
Old 02-07-16, 10:19 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Luxofreak

The Merc I'd consider buying is the new S-65 coupe. Beautiful car, but very expensive, I don't think it's worth the asking price at all.
The $230,000 MB V12 S-65 is very expensive, beautiful, exclusivity and cost as much as three LS 460. I've driven a older MB 600 and it was extremely smooth and powerful. If the S-65 is what you want and you have the means why not? You have the protection of the new car warranty, an extended warranty, and after the warranties expires BEWARE but your pockets are probably deep and expensive repairs shouldn't be an issue. You're in the Rolls Royce territory.
Old 02-07-16, 11:05 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well, I called it my "junk", you got away with calling them, "nuts".

No, no buddy...I clearly understood you...
I was inferring that your nuts! As in, that statement was crazy; funny!
But yes, I cought the word change in verbiage!
Old 02-07-16, 11:11 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxofreak

I wouldn't buy a used one personally:

http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w2...4-000-wow.html

But if you can afford a new one, why not? Couldn't get much more exclusive and they are very nice I'm sure.

Also, this thread is kind of funny and sad over there at MBWorld. Just a cautionary tale of biting off more than you can chew. The ultimate moral of the story, even if you can "afford" to buy an expensive used car for "cheap," that doesn't mean the repair bills are anymore cheaper than a new one.

This goes for Lexus as well as I'm sure dealership visits aren't cheap and carries a premium for certain cars I'm sure.

http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w2...irst-gear.html
Old 02-07-16, 11:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
No, no buddy...I clearly understood you...
I was inferring that your nuts! As in, that statement was crazy; funny!
But yes, I cought the word change in verbiage!
That would be, "you're" nuts then
Old 02-07-16, 04:11 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I wouldn't buy a used one personally:

http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w2...4-000-wow.html

But if you can afford a new one, why not? Couldn't get much more exclusive and they are very nice I'm sure.
LOL that used, now old body style will soon be in the hands of the Russian mafia...

Even if I could afford a new S65 Coupe (I can't) I would not pay that kind of money for a merc. As said above, that's British luxury brand price territory.
Old 02-08-16, 08:49 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That would be, "you're" nuts then

Ah!
Got me again!
Once around Thanksgiving, which we attributed to turkey stupor, and this time here.
Ehh...how about Super Bowl stupor this time around??
Old 02-08-16, 02:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Ah!
Got me again!
Once around Thanksgiving, which we attributed to turkey stupor, and this time here.
Ehh...how about Super Bowl stupor this time around??
We'll accept that
Old 02-08-16, 04:16 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

I flirted with the idea of getting a 65 AMG (CL or S) of the previous body style, until I realized what I am getting myself into in terms of reliability. For example: I took one for a test-drive and it died on me during the drive, we drove back to the dealership in 'limp' mode. I owned a 2010 S63 last year and will never repeat that mistake.
Old 02-08-16, 08:47 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by orys
I flirted with the idea of getting a 65 AMG (CL or S) of the previous body style, until I realized what I am getting myself into in terms of reliability. For example: I took one for a test-drive and it died on me during the drive, we drove back to the dealership in 'limp' mode. I owned a 2010 S63 last year and will never repeat that mistake.
I bet the sales man was embarrassed
Old 02-09-16, 08:05 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

That is hilarious....what was the sale guy's reaction?. Was it from MB dealership?>
Old 02-09-16, 09:35 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lamborarri
I can give a few cents here.

I used to have W221 S65 and W220 S600. I currently have a fully loaded S550 with MSRP of $128k. If money isn't in the comparison, let's be honest, LS460 can not compete with S550 at all. Also, LS460 is around $75-78k selling price in my area, obviously there's a huge gap between a full loaded LS and S550.

Been driving and being driven in the S550 for 8 months already, I can only complaint that the CD slot design is stupid, and the woman in the nav talks way to much during guidance. That's it. When you are driving the car, the way the steering wheel feel just beyond any car in this class. Maybe my Alpina B7 has better dynamic feel when driving, but not as quality as the way the s550 delivery. You may not love or even like the S550, but you certainly can't find much drawback in it. HOWEVER, make sure the car is loaded. Options make a huge differences in the new S550.

The Lexus LS460 has very different approach, also like others say, it's outdated in 2016 market. But in my experience with all different cars, I actually find myself not that interested in new gadgets hype in any car, they just wouldn't last thru out the ownership. I always care about how the driving feel lasts, how good to be sitting in one, etc. LS460 is like a ugly child compare to S550, I'm guessing you will be able to find LS460 has more and more goodies to be appreciated as time passing by.

S550 is very sharp, it gives you all the hype at the beginning, you got interior lighting, all adjustable seats, LED screen and command system for each individual in the car, etc. but eventually it will go away or settle down (it's sort of same thing). That's how it is. That's where I'm at right now after 8 months.

I do wanna give LS460 a try tho because I'm very happy with my wife's LX570, it never asks for attention, and it's the best kid in my garage, always helping us to do whatever we wanna do instead of asking for help like fixing this repair that, etc. I guess that's how a transportation has to be.
Just curious. What kind's of issues did you encounter?

I owned a brand new S63 for 5 years (09 model - sold in 2013 w/only 11k miles)
Old 02-09-16, 10:05 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Extremely low mileage for 5 y/o S63. Did you purposely limit your mileage for a higher resale value or you don't drive it much? I have a friend with a 3 y/o Corvette he purchase new with only 15K miles. He's somewhat compulsive/obsessive and he refuse to drive it in the rain. Did you experience any issues and would buy another one?
Old 02-09-16, 04:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Not sure if I posted this already in this thread, but at the Vancouver International Auto Show last year, I tried to get into the S550. I say "tried", because I pulled on the door handle and it came off in my hand as the MB rep watched. His response was, "oh geez". as he snatched it quickly from my hand and scrambled to put it back on.

I thought I heard him utter, "schweinhund".....but that may have been entirely my imagination.

LOL
Old 02-09-16, 04:10 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Not sure if I posted this already in this thread, but at the Vancouver International Auto Show last year, I tried to get into the S550. I say "tried", because I pulled on the door handle and it came off in my hand as the MB rep watched. His response was, "oh geez". as he snatched it quickly from my hand and scrambled to put it back on.

I thought I heard him utter, "schweinhund".....but that may have been entirely my imagination.

LOL
Just simply can not make sense out of how this even occurs, particularly, at an Auto Show.

Quick Reply: Why not Benz S550 ?