LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why not Benz S550 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-16, 07:11 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Lexus is still keeping the next generation LS top secret. It would be nice to see some actual photos by now. I hope the next generation LS can stand alone and looks nothing like the LC 500. I'm not impress with the LC 500
Old 02-12-16, 07:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
Bought an 08 GS350 in late 2012. It's going on 8 years now but I've only owned it for 3 1/2 years. Can't stand the handling/suspension. It drives great on straight roads but it's horrible on curves/turns. I would have kept it for another 3+ years but just don't enjoy the handling/suspension. I'm looking for a more sporty ride. I'm thinking the LS460 FSport will provide that
Have you driven an LS F Sport?

I ask because there is nothing sporty about the LS at all, including the F Sport. Its a big car, with a very soft ride biased suspension and thats what it feels like. The F Sport does nothing to change that, you get the Sport + setting in the air suspension but even in that, its not a "handling car" at all. What it does best is move you down the highway smoothly and quietly.

If you don't like the way your 08 GS handles, you're not going to like the way an LS handles, F Sport or not.

The S550 is no handling car either, but its a little more dynamic and lighter feeling than the LS.

If you're happy with the proportions of your 08 GS but want better handing, I would seriously recommend that you look at a luxury package GS350. The luxury package gets you all the creature comforts and much of the quality of the LS inside (in fact, more in some instances) and gives you a much more dynamic car with best in class handling.

Is there any truth to the rumors that the LS will get a total remake in 2017/18?
Yes, all new LS is coming.
Old 02-12-16, 10:22 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Have you driven an LS F Sport?

I ask because there is nothing sporty about the LS at all, including the F Sport. Its a big car, with a very soft ride biased suspension and thats what it feels like. The F Sport does nothing to change that, you get the Sport + setting in the air suspension but even in that, its not a "handling car" at all. What it does best is move you down the highway smoothly and quietly.

If you don't like the way your 08 GS handles, you're not going to like the way an LS handles, F Sport or not.

The S550 is no handling car either, but its a little more dynamic and lighter feeling than the LS.

If you're happy with the proportions of your 08 GS but want better handing, I would seriously recommend that you look at a luxury package GS350. The luxury package gets you all the creature comforts and much of the quality of the LS inside (in fact, more in some instances) and gives you a much more dynamic car with best in class handling.

Yes, all new LS is coming.
I thought about that but really want a bigger car. The GS's rear seat area is a joke. No leg rm at all. I'm assuming the '16 is the same way. As a matter of fact I really like the GSF
Old 02-13-16, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I thought about that but really want a bigger car. The GS's rear seat area is a joke. No leg rm at all. I'm assuming the '16 is the same way. As a matter of fact I really like the GSF
In this circumstance your desire for a bigger car needs to trump your desire for a better handling car than your 08 GS. I had a GS for 3 years, backseat is tight but it's okay.

Have you driven an LS?
Old 02-13-16, 11:05 AM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

In this circumstance your desire for a bigger car needs to trump your desire for a better handling car than your 08 GS. I had a GS for 3 years, backseat is tight but it's okay.

Have you driven an LS?
No And that's mainly bec. there are no '15 FSports on the lots at both Austin DS's. There's 1 in San Antonio..... but I'm not enthused to drive 50-60 mins for a test drive....

Have you driven 1? If so, how does it compare to the base LS?
Old 02-13-16, 11:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No And that's mainly bec. there are no '15 FSports on the lots at both Austin DS's. There's 1 in San Antonio..... but I'm not enthused to drive 50-60 mins for a test drive....

Have you driven 1? If so, how does it compare to the base LS?
Go drive a new one, it'll be exactly the same.

I have driven the F Sport, its almost exactly the same as the base LS to drive.
Old 02-13-16, 11:23 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you certain S550 is lighter (handling) feel than LS460?. I hear otherwise......
Old 02-13-16, 11:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by satiger
Are you certain S550 is lighter (handling) feel than LS460?. I hear otherwise......
For sure. I'm talking about the new ones mind you, it feels a little bit lighter, a little bit less ponderous even though its a bigger car. It just has a newer more modern platform and suspension.

If you read reviews of the new S Class you hear that over and over and I found it to be true as well.
Old 02-13-16, 12:33 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I test drove a '15 S550 and the handling was precise, taut, secure and you feel confidence in curves. No comparison to the LS or S-sport plus this is one area Lexus could improve. Audi and BMW handling is also much better than the 460. Nothing light about the S550 handlings and for such a large sedan, its handles like a sports cars half its size. For all 460 drivers who have not had the opportunity to drive a S550 and you do so, you will understand. No ifs, ands or buts the S550 handling is just superior.
Old 02-13-16, 12:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I test drove a '15 S550 and the handling was precise, taut, secure and you feel confidence in curves. No comparison to the LS or S-sport plus this is one area Lexus could improve. Audi and BMW handling is also much better than the 460. Nothing light about the S550 handlings and for such a large sedan, its handles like a sports cars half its size. For all 460 drivers who have not had the opportunity to drive a S550 and you do so, you will understand. No ifs, ands or buts the S550 handling is just superior.
Totally agree. And Lexus will improve. Remember that the chassis and suspension of the LS is essentially 10 years old, the next generation LS will be a big improvement in this department if you take cars like the GS into account. They're able to pair a good ride with excellent handling on the GS with AFS, modern suspension design and a very stiff platform.
Old 02-13-16, 09:35 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

OK..... finally test drove a '16 LS today (no FSports available)

Lets put it this way, I drove the GS350 first and it was very very very..... disappointing! Had it in normal and sport modes - sport mode was a little more peppy but the engine sound was pretty loud (at least for a Lexus)... and the torque was BAD. No real oomph esp. when accelerating from 50-75 mph. Really surprised that it drove like my 08 GS pretty much. Even the steering didn't feel in touch with the road and the car in general.

Now coming back the LS: It was a lot better than the GS. Very quiet and silky smooth. I thought the handling was better than the GS as well as the torque and acceleration in the 50-60mph range. I'm thinking that the FPsport has to feel a little more sporty?? Didn't get a chance to really floor the gas pedal or take on windy roads. Will try and go back for another test dr. on Mon
Old 02-14-16, 05:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sorry...I've owned both cars...and I love my LS...but if you think the handling of the LS is better than the GS I have no idea where you're coming from. The LS is a great car, but it's a pig. Did you drive a GS model with AVS (an F Sport or a Luxury package)? I have a backroad here I drive a lot to avoid traffic. If was a lot of fun in the GS, the LS is a handful. I'd still take the LS any day, but the truth it what it is. I took that road a lot more when I had the GS lets just put it that way.

The GS has won multiple comparison tests and is widely accepted to be the best handling car in its class, It clearly handles better than the 3GS, I've driven both and there are lots of prior 3GS owners who now have the 4GS and they agree. The 4GS is firmer, has a much stiffer chassis and better suspension. Certainly the LS has more power, and smoother more refined power. The GS though needs that AVS and either the F Sport package or the Luxury package to really get the most out of it though.

My guess is you want the LS and that is coloring your perceptions, which is fine, I just don't want you to be disappointed down the line. It's a great car, but it's not a sporty or dynamic car at all and that's what you're saying you want...

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-14-16 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-14-16, 09:31 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

From a sporty perspective, the GS has the best steering and suspension feel out of all the cars mentioned in this thread. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's definitely not disappointing.
Old 02-14-16, 09:35 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

I'm sorry...I've owned both cars...and I love my LS...but if you think the handling of the LS is better than the GS I have no idea where you're coming from. The LS is a great car, but it's a pig. Did you drive a GS model with AVS (an F Sport or a Luxury package)? I have a backroad here I drive a lot to avoid traffic. If was a lot of fun in the GS, the LS is a handful. I'd still take the LS any day, but the truth it what it is. I took that road a lot more when I had the GS lets just put it that way.

The GS has won multiple comparison tests and is widely accepted to be the best handling car in its class, It clearly handles better than the 3GS, I've driven both and there are lots of prior 3GS owners who now have the 4GS and they agree. The 4GS is firmer, has a much stiffer chassis and better suspension. Certainly the LS has more power, and smoother more refined power. The GS though needs that AVS and either the F Sport package or the Luxury package to really get the most out of it though.

My guess is you want the LS and that is coloring your perceptions, which is fine, I just don't want you to be disappointed down the line. It's a great car, but it's not a sporty or dynamic car at all and that's what you're saying you want...
I thought the FSport didn't include any engine changes, just cosmetic and suspension
Old 02-14-16, 10:15 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought the FSport didn't include any engine changes, just cosmetic and suspension
Sounds like he's referring to the GS F-Sport.

The LS F-Sport has the same engine but does include the Torsen limited slip differential.

Quick Reply: Why not Benz S550 ?