LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why not Benz S550 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 04:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Just simply can not make sense out of how this even occurs, particularly, at an Auto Show.
It was priceless. Thing is, because the car was the showcase for MB at the show, that rep was eagle-eying everyone who approached and wanted into the car, so it's not like it was abused. I managed to get in on the passenger side. To be honest, the car was GORGEOUS. Truly. But I noticed little things that caused me concern, trim item quality, switch gear, etc.
Old 02-09-16, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I still don't see any trim quality or switchgear concerns in an S550. It's simply the highest quality interior I've sat in short of a Rolls Royce or Bentley.
Old 02-09-16, 05:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

It's been a while, so I don't recall exactly what caught my attention, but my wife picked out a couple of things too. They were relatively minor, but surprising nonetheless. I want to say it was either the turn signal stalk or light switch (?) and a couple of other things? Regardless, as I said it was minor, and the overall sexiness of the car made one easily look past it.
Old 02-10-16, 09:49 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I sat in a 2011 in 2012 and did think it was really quite nice.
I was also recently watching a youtube video of a gentleman performing a thorough walk around of the 2015 S550 and the 2015 LS 460 L and my Lord...that S Class is seriously one beautiful car on the inside.
The way that the wood trim and the seat overall in the rear contours behind and around the seats is gorgeous.
It's incredibly opulent and just one beautiful car.
Old 02-10-16, 10:19 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The new S-class is opulent with the craftsmanship of a Bentley and Rolls Royce. MB took the S-class to a new level and the new BMW 7-series isn't far behind. It will be interesting to see what next generation LS will have to offer.
Old 02-10-16, 01:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
It will be interesting to see what next generation LS will have to offer.
This month's Motor Trend features the LC 500 on the cover. In the article there is a pic of the interior and it looks just gorgeous.
Old 02-10-16, 05:17 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I agree, they are nice cars for sure. Love the messaging front seats. My friend has one and it's nice for sure, but man, expensive to maintain and fix.

I guess if you have endless funds, don't mind leaving it at the dealership for days at a time, getting charged absurd amount of money just for them to find out what's wrong even before they fix it (I think my friend said they charged him $150 an hour just to troubleshoot and it took them four hours just to figure out what's wrong lol), then massive wads of cash to fix, go for it.

I almost get the impression Mercedes purposely builds these flaws into their cars, makes repairs ultra, ultra expensive and with a high degree of faults just to keep the peasants away lol. I mean if you think about, this keeps the mantra, "if you want to play, you have to pay," very alive and very well. Mercedes used to build reliable tanks that never died. No more IMO.

I actually pity those people buying a used S-class with high miles. They have no idea what they are walking into. May as well spend the extra money and buy new as the overall cost of ownership difference probably won't that much different over the next three to five years, assuming that used one can make it that far.

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I sat in a 2011 in 2012 and did think it was really quite nice.
I was also recently watching a youtube video of a gentleman performing a thorough walk around of the 2015 S550 and the 2015 LS 460 L and my Lord...that S Class is seriously one beautiful car on the inside.
The way that the wood trim and the seat overall in the rear contours behind and around the seats is gorgeous.
It's incredibly opulent and just one beautiful car.
Old 02-10-16, 07:58 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah, I agree, they are nice cars for sure. Love the messaging front seats. My friend has one and it's nice for sure, but man, expensive to maintain and fix.

I guess if you have endless funds, don't mind leaving it at the dealership for days at a time, getting charged absurd amount of money just for them to find out what's wrong even before they fix it (I think my friend said they charged him $150 an hour just to troubleshoot and it took them four hours just to figure out what's wrong lol), then massive wads of cash to fix, go for it.

I almost get the impression Mercedes purposely builds these flaws into their cars, makes repairs ultra, ultra expensive and with a high degree of faults just to keep the peasants away lol. I mean if you think about, this keeps the mantra, "if you want to play, you have to pay," very alive and very well. Mercedes used to build reliable tanks that never died. No more IMO.

I actually pity those people buying a used S-class with high miles. They have no idea what they are walking into. May as well spend the extra money and buy new as the overall cost of ownership difference probably won't that much different over the next three to five years, assuming that used one can make it that far.
Wondering if you're reaching a little too far with this whole "Mercedes sits in the shop more then in your garage".

I'm in a pitched battle (with myself) trying to decide on a '15 LS460 FSport or S550 and there seems to be enough info out there (as well as the die hards on mbworld) that says the S class is every bit as reliable as the LX and that all this stuff about expensive repairs is baggage from the early 2000 models...

Also, supposedly all this talk about depreciation being a lot more on the S class is highly exaggerated and that it's pretty similar to the LS in resale and depreciation
Old 02-10-16, 08:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
Wondering if you're reaching a little too far with this whole "Mercedes sits in the shop more then in your garage".

I'm in a pitched battle (with myself) trying to decide on a '15 LS460 FSport or S550 and there seems to be enough info out there (as well as the die hards on mbworld) that says the S class is every bit as reliable as the LX and that all this stuff about expensive repairs is baggage from the early 2000 models...

Also, supposedly all this talk about depreciation being a lot more on the S class is highly exaggerated and that it's pretty similar to the LS in resale and depreciation
you must have a very different version of Google than I. A search with the terms "2007-up S550 reliabilty" did not fail to turn up scads of info. Start with "balance shafts" for a scary eye-opener.

As for depreciation? Popular Mechanics listed the S550 (and the BMW 7 series), in their "Top 10 cars that depreciate like a stock market crash". NADA reports the S550 depreciates 63000 dollars in the first 5 years and a five year cost of ownership at $112,000.00
If that sounds like it's similar to an LS, well.......
Old 02-10-16, 09:55 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by roadfrog
you must have a very different version of Google than I. A search with the terms "2007-up S550 reliabilty" did not fail to turn up scads of info. Start with "balance shafts" for a scary eye-opener.

As for depreciation? Popular Mechanics listed the S550 (and the BMW 7 series), in their "Top 10 cars that depreciate like a stock market crash". NADA reports the S550 depreciates 63000 dollars in the first 5 years and a five year cost of ownership at $112,000.00
If that sounds like it's similar to an LS, well.......

I better get to work....googling
Old 02-10-16, 10:15 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

ok, so "googling with my version of google" brings back mixed results (of course if you search for negative stuff that's all you're going to get).

Using your search phrase "2007-up S550 reliability" brings back pretty positive reviews in consumer reports. Heck, the 3rd result is from clublexus! And the popular mechanics article is from 2006!

Still looking for a definitive link on problems with the late model W221 and W222 platforms
Old 02-11-16, 03:15 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I agree that you're going to get a lot of anecdotal evidence. However, perception, while not always right, has some credence to it, at least based on what I've learned over the years.

In any case, it's kind of a loaded question coming to a brand's enthusiast forum and asking for advice on a competitive brand. The answers will be subjective and, frankly tainted. In my mind, in my perception, based on what I know, they are expensive to maintain and drive. Am I right? I don't know, it's just a perception I have based on what evidence I've come across.

The only advice I can give is do your own research, take what you find here and on other enthusiast's forums with a grain of salt. I'm sure if you go a Mercedes forum and ask if Lexus is better than Mercedes, you already know what the answer there is going to be, even before you ask it. Same can said of going to BMW's and asking if Audi is better.

However, I did find a non-biased long-term quality index. This index isn't based on consumer reports or JD powers, both of which are fairly limited to the first few years if ownership, but looks at cars during trade in, and removes the owner from the mix. Probably the most objective look at long-term reliability out there, assuming that facet is important.

Read the article here:

http://bestride.com/blog/long-term-q...ability/24162/

Index here on brands and vehicles:

http://longtermqualityindex.com
Old 02-11-16, 03:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Its all a question of how long are you going to keep the car? If you're going to keep the car for a long time, there is no question that the LS is going to be more reliable. There is plenty of data out there about Mercedes long term reliability and Lexus' long term reliability, making a conclusion based on that evidence isn't hard.

Would I expect that an S550 would leave you stranded all over the place and spend more time in the shop than your garage? No. Would I expect that when its 6, 8, 10 years old there will be very costly repairs associated with all of the electrical features and technology in the car? Oh yes. Lexus and Toyota on the whole specialize in dead reliable technology and electrical connections, etc, and the LS has a lot less technology to begin with.

To me, these conclusions are easy to draw. The question is what are the S550's benefits worth to you? Its a superior car, I don't question that at all but its going to be significantly more to maintain over its life than an LS.

If you're going to drive it for 3-4 years and then trade it on, its probably not going to be much less reliable than the LS. Depreciation? Thats going to be worse.
Old 02-11-16, 10:46 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Its all a question of how long are you going to keep the car? If you're going to keep the car for a long time, there is no question that the LS is going to be more reliable. There is plenty of data out there about Mercedes long term reliability and Lexus' long term reliability, making a conclusion based on that evidence isn't hard.

Would I expect that an S550 would leave you stranded all over the place and spend more time in the shop than your garage? No. Would I expect that when its 6, 8, 10 years old there will be very costly repairs associated with all of the electrical features and technology in the car? Oh yes. Lexus and Toyota on the whole specialize in dead reliable technology and electrical connections, etc, and the LS has a lot less technology to begin with.

To me, these conclusions are easy to draw. The question is what are the S550's benefits worth to you? Its a superior car, I don't question that at all but its going to be significantly more to maintain over its life than an LS.

If you're going to drive it for 3-4 years and then trade it on, its probably not going to be much less reliable than the LS. Depreciation? Thats going to be worse.
Some good advice there.

Here's my story: I've owned MB's and BMW's over the years - great cars to drive but what I've noticed is that the tech/electronics get old really fast. Can't say I've had major issues bec. I've never kept those cars for > 4 years. Became a Lexus fan about 12 years ago. Purchased a new 06 GX470 in late 05 for my wife. Still own it to this day. It has 153k miles. I've only had to replace the timing belt. The car just got appraised for $12k but it's worth about $20k to me. We're "upgrading" to the 16 LX570 (see my posts in the LX forum).

In 2012 I got rid of my brand new '09 S63 AMG. It was an awesome driving car - almost felt like driving a Ferrari ..... but then it just started to feel dated tech wise. Ext. looked awesome but the int. just didn't feel like a $130k car. Bought an 08 GS350 in late 2012. It's going on 8 years now but I've only owned it for 3 1/2 years. Can't stand the handling/suspension. It drives great on straight roads but it's horrible on curves/turns. I would have kept it for another 3+ years but just don't enjoy the handling/suspension. I'm looking for a more sporty ride. I'm thinking the LS460 FSport will provide that.

Is there any truth to the rumors that the LS will get a total remake in 2017/18?
Old 02-12-16, 06:07 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by AustinHusk
Is there any truth to the rumors that the LS will get a total remake in 2017/18?
Fall of 2017 according to Motor Trend.

Quick Reply: Why not Benz S550 ?