LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking into getting a LS460l from 750li

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 10:46 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davedudu
Amazing. So you're saying there is no such thing as warped rotors on a street car?
If you only possess surface-level reading comprehension, I'm sure you could reach this conclusion. Alas, such a thing was never said. Hopefully this next passage will be clear enough such that you do not make such a mistake again. If you reach any other conclusions based on taking things out of context, please make sure to reread the passage again for clarity.

Originally Posted by Devh
If that were true it would happen regardless of what rotors you used. My other Toyota was notorious for rotor warpage that was due to the quality of the manufactures rotors produced that could have been due to a bad batch. This is quite common on other cars as well. The remedy was address with purchasing different rotors. Street pads rarely cause deposit formation to the extent where it pulses the brakes. Pulsing of the brakes are almost always due to a warped rotor and the temporary fix is having them turned.

I have glazed sport pads and rotors before and the feel is very different, one tell tail sign is pulling on one side. Usually re bedding the pads fixes the issue. Most street driven cars pulsing is due to warping of the rotor due to manufacturing quality and if your rotors don't have enough meat on them.
You are right in saying that it will happen regardless of what rotors you use. While different rotors may do it at different rates, they will eventually do the same thing. Uneven heating and distribution of pad material that doesn't somehow get removed will eventually lead to pulsing. You're wrong in thinking pads don't leave friction material on the surface of the rotors, too.

Rotors simply do not warp at the rate at which you are talking about. Are some rotors made of inferior materials that causes them to start pulsing faster? Yes. Does this mean no rotors warp? No, but the likelihood of it is next to zero. However, the sheer amount of heat required to warp rotors would be immense and would boil the brake fluid first. But it doesn't and rotors don't really warp. This is a myth perpetuated by mass media and brake shops not having a better explanation for the average customer.

For further reading so that people stop this widespread myth of rotor warping:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/
http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/blog/wa...ke-discs-myth/

Last edited by NickTee; 11-03-15 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-04-15, 01:30 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
If you only possess surface-level reading comprehension, I'm sure you could reach this conclusion. Alas, such a thing was never said. Hopefully this next passage will be clear enough such that you do not make such a mistake again. If you reach any other conclusions based on taking things out of context, please make sure to reread the passage again for clarity.

You are right in saying that it will happen regardless of what rotors you use. While different rotors may do it at different rates, they will eventually do the same thing. Uneven heating and distribution of pad material that doesn't somehow get removed will eventually lead to pulsing. You're wrong in thinking pads don't leave friction material on the surface of the rotors, too.

Rotors simply do not warp at the rate at which you are talking about. Are some rotors made of inferior materials that causes them to start pulsing faster? Yes. Does this mean no rotors warp? No, but the likelihood of it is next to zero. However, the sheer amount of heat required to warp rotors would be immense and would boil the brake fluid first. But it doesn't and rotors don't really warp. This is a myth perpetuated by mass media and brake shops not having a better explanation for the average customer.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/warped-rotors-myth/
http://www.skimmydiscs.co.uk/blog/wa...ke-discs-myth/
First off I never said that pads do not leave material on the surface of the rotors. Of course they do.

As to the second point I concede. It must be pointed out that the the pad deposition by itself is not the cause of high spots. The high spots are due to uneven wear of the rotor through a process involving heat creating uneven patches of harder material that wears at a different rate. This process causes high and low spots on the iron that has to be removed which I found perplexing because I have seen actual high spots on rotors.
http://www.autotrackdaymonthly.com/i...-warped-rotors
Thank You for that bit of knowledge that I will add to my own.

Last edited by Devh; 11-04-15 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 06:51 AM
Fathero4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
Hey CL,

I have had a couple GS's in the past, then went to a 750li, and it has 160k miles on it and it is starting to act up a little. Always been in love with this body style LS, but haven't been able to pull the trigger since going through divorce. Now I know where my finances are and I can pull off getting a LS460l, but I am trying to get up to speed on the differences. From what I can tell I want to get one with the touring package, I want the bigger brakes and 19's and air. I also will prob add the data controller for the factory air that Ciity has on his LS600, love that it is easily installed and can talk to factory air system... I also like the darker wood, grey/black vs the reddish color. Since I am looking at like a 07-08, are there anything I should consider when I am shopping around? I'm basically wondering if there are certain things I should stay away from as it will be almost 8yrs old.... I've read alot on here already but I'm getting to 'overload' state with all the searches I've done anad posts I've printed out etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

THX in advance...

Congrats on getting the 750 to 160k. My brother-in-law has a 2011 and he's had issues with it since hitting 60k. Nice ride, but his experience and others I know prevented me from considering the 7 series. His previous ride was a Lexus and he just had regular maintenance to right over 200k. His wife has over 220k on her GX with nothing but regular maintenance.

I just bought a 2007 LS460L. I would highly advise having a Lexus-versed independent third party check it out. Mine had no issues, other than warped rotors. You should just plan on replacing the rotors if they're stock. Researching on CL will give you all you need to know about the control arms & bushings, air suspension, wind noise issues and other common problems with both expensive and more reasonable solutions. It sounds like you're already on top of it all. Good luck!

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Since you're recently divorced, one has to assume that you are now missing some excitement / drama in your life. Probably a good thing. If you sell the 7-Series and procure an LS, that's another step in the same direction.

My concern is that your life may become TOO boring. Not fighting with a woman, no fighting with a car. It's just too much change in your life all at one time.

I suggest you keep the 7 Series so you can hold on to some amount of excitement / drama in your life. An LS is too trouble-free and you might get bored not having to visit dealerships as frequently.

Be careful, this is a big step.

7milesout

Freakin hilarious!
Old 11-04-15, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
I think the bottom line is that this is an argument of semantics, not something of real value to the OP or anybody. Bottom line is...the brakes begin to pulsate requiring resurfacing of the rotors or replacement of the rotors, and higher quality rotors combats this. Whether one calls that process "warping" or "glazing" or "depositing of high spots" isn't important.
Old 11-04-15, 08:44 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think the bottom line is that this is an argument of semantics, not something of real value to the OP or anybody. Bottom line is...the brakes begin to pulsate requiring resurfacing of the rotors or replacement of the rotors, and higher quality rotors combats this. Whether one calls that process "warping" or "glazing" or "depositing of high spots" isn't important.
Yes thanks. It's a term used as normal nomenclature although I admit I did not know the actual process. Maybe runout is a better term. It's basically the same end result of the rotors having high and low spots which are ultimately a defect of the metal due to hot spots caused by uneven pad transfer.

The point which I was originally addressing is that this "runout" of the rotors is not due to glazing. Glazing is an entirely different symptom that in most cases can be corrected by re-bedding the pads or addressing the pads by removing material. This is an issue with race pads, rarely do you see this on the street.

Last edited by Devh; 11-04-15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 12:55 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I came to the LS after many years with BMW.

The maintenance on the previous 7-series was the turning point that caused me to abandon BMW after many years!

I have no regrets.
Old 11-04-15, 08:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
I came to the LS after many years with BMW.

The maintenance on the previous 7-series was the turning point that caused me to abandon BMW after many years!

I have no regrets.
I feel your pain. The LS remedy has made me well again. My 7 series was an utter NIGHTMARE.
Old 11-06-15, 11:13 AM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I feel your pain. The LS remedy has made me well again. My 7 series was an utter NIGHTMARE.
hahaha, I am seeing a pattern here. I'm afraid of the headaches, so at 160k I am thinking its about time. Is there a 460L with something like a rear DVD screen? I saw someone on here has a 600H I think that has a Screen in the headliner but that was about it. I have 2 sons that love watching movies in the back when we drive to the bay area from the house. Plus it keeps my sanity...

Also I know Lexus is more known for a softer ride than the BMW has, but if I get the air suspension and data controller and lower it down some and add 22's won't the ride be not so soft and a little more sporty? I guess I'll pose that to owners who have done this.... I know the smaller tires affect ride, and I would assume lowering the car's air ride height affects it to. Just dont want that ghetto heated springs bounce look, hahaha

Can't wait to get one. There are some beautiful rides on here....
Old 11-06-15, 11:20 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by whytry
hahaha, I am seeing a pattern here. I'm afraid of the headaches, so at 160k I am thinking its about time. Is there a 460L with something like a rear DVD screen? I saw someone on here has a 600H I think that has a Screen in the headliner but that was about it. I have 2 sons that love watching movies in the back when we drive to the bay area from the house. Plus it keeps my sanity...

Also I know Lexus is more known for a softer ride than the BMW has, but if I get the air suspension and data controller and lower it down some and add 22's won't the ride be not so soft and a little more sporty? I guess I'll pose that to owners who have done this.... I know the smaller tires affect ride, and I would assume lowering the car's air ride height affects it to. Just dont want that ghetto heated springs bounce look, hahaha

Can't wait to get one. There are some beautiful rides on here....
I think the only LS's that come with rear entertainment (flip down screen), are the 600 and I think the executive package. Other than that, there's the option of OEM headrest or aftermarket. But I have read where some have obtained aftermarket and the head rest color didn't exactly match the seat/remainder of the car.
As far as A/S with the controller, amongst others, Tee and CJITTY would be great to ask.
Shoot'em a PM.
Old 11-18-15, 01:31 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I think the only LS's that come with rear entertainment (flip down screen), are the 600 and I think the executive package. Other than that, there's the option of OEM headrest or aftermarket. But I have read where some have obtained aftermarket and the head rest color didn't exactly match the seat/remainder of the car.
As far as A/S with the controller, amongst others, Tee and CJITTY would be great to ask.
Shoot'em a PM.
whytry - What you're looking for is an LS with the Executive Package. I know the 460L comes with the Executive Package also. Pretty rare. I'm not certain that the regular 460 comes with it. I think not. It needs the extra 5 inches of the L for the ottoman leg rest.

I was close to getting an Executive myself. In my case, the problem is, I have a family of 5. The Executive has a console in the center of the rear seats. Making the Executive a 4 seater. A highly badass 4 seater, but The Warden would have greased the guillotine and raised the blade if I had come home with an Executive (since the whole family would not fit). So I got 1 trim level down from this.
Old 11-19-15, 09:28 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

For what it's worth, having purchased an 08 a little over a year ago, it is a great car. Perhaps I should amend that statement just a bit. It's a great car, for me. I have driven and ridden in enough Mercedes vehicles to know, I don't like the hard feel. The LS460 is like riding on air which is my preference.

If I were making a decision today on an LS, I'd go for a 2011. What did you say? Oh you are wondering why? My hearing just isn't what it used to be. Please type louder. But all seriousness aside, there are some great improvements starting in 2010. In 2011 according to those in the know, the control arms were done properly. In addition, you get Bluetooth audio and not just for your phone. There's a USB connector which allows you to load your music and see it on the silver screen. The sound system controls are better laid out including moving the AM button from the SAT. You also get the turn signal indicators on the backs of the side mirrors.

I'm sure I'm missing some other important things, but I'll never discuss a rotor ever again!

Good luck in your decision. I'm sure it will be the right one.
Old 11-19-15, 03:46 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
The LS 460 is a excellent automobile but the BMW 7-series handle and drives better. I suggest a thorough inspection at a Lexus dealer.
I traded in a '09 BMW 750 to get my '12 LS460. A very different car.

The 750 was a beautiful driver, with the finest seats. Interior was top notch, and I actually liked the iDrive. The negatives were the mandatory visits to the service dept to fix a myriad of electrical issues, as well as fuel line issue that has it leaking fuel on the engine from top! Lack of a spare was a concern as well, since I had swapped out the terrible run-flats with standard Michelins.

The LS460 is less luxurious, but everything works, and it only sees the dealer for the 5K oil changes. The valve noise at idle is annoying, and so are poorly designed seats. My '92 LS430 had much better seating. It does not accelerate as well either, even in sport mode. The ride is floaty, and the car does not stop as well as the BMW.

Overall, I am looking forward to the 2017 LS which will hopefully address some of my concerns.

And to my next Cirrus SR22!

Cheers!