LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Using Regular gas in an 08 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-15, 07:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Is the difference between regular and premium where you guys live really that much? $1.50 per gallon!??

Here its perhaps 50 cents more.
Old 11-01-15, 07:55 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Here, the typical supplier station is about .50-.60 cents.
But I only use premium fuel usually from BP, and their difference can be from .80-.90 cents.
I'd be curious to know if this is the case nationally.
I would think BP fuel would be a bit cheaper, as one of their primary refineries happen to be nestled just a few cities away.
Old 11-02-15, 04:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
But I only use premium fuel usually from BP, and their difference can be from .80-.90 cents.
I would think BP fuel would be a bit cheaper, as one of their primary refineries happen to be nestled just a few cities away.
In my area,name brand premium gas is .40 - .90 more than 87 and BP usually has the cheapest difference.
Off brands are about a .30-.40 difference.
Old 11-02-15, 05:32 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Using name brand regular is probably better for your LS than the cheaper grades. You make save money but your LS will not run as smooth because it was designed for premium unleaded fuel only.
Old 11-02-15, 07:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

At some stations, Premium fuels will have less ethanol. In fact there are some stations up here that have NO ethanol in the premium. There's a website that will tell you what stations those are.
Old 11-02-15, 08:42 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

These newer cars that are able to pull timing effectively to run regular unleaded is pretty neat however it doesn't change the high compression ratio that is octane dependent. The engines normal working parameters was dynamically tested with premium fuel and when you use regular unleaded you are having the computer work hard by pulling timing away otherwise the engine is going to blow up. If the engine overheats or taxied up a hill you may be on a razors edge.
I have to admit I do not know how well our engines handle lower octane fuel with current technology but in the past a few other engine designs that had this feature or those that ran regular unleaded in a car that called for premium suffered failures in time as a result not necessarily catastrophic. As the engine gets older there is a greater dependence on higher octane fuel because of deposits on the piston head and combustion chamber.

Cars that call for lower octane such as your Camry should only used the recommended fuel. Some people think they are benefited by running premium but in actuality they are creating unburnt fuel because of ignition timing that was designed for regular unleaded that can prematurely ruin catalytic converters and create deposits. This is the same reason why you shouldn't run premium in your lawn mower.
Having said that I would rather have a degree of safety by running premium but in a pinch I have no problem running regular unleaded but the car will not be driven hard. If cars were designed to run on regular unleaded and then were able to take advantage of higher octane by advancing the timing that would be different.
The following users liked this post:
bobcox57 (06-04-23)
Old 11-02-15, 12:50 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I considered this when gas was $4.00 a gallon for regular and $4.20 for premium. I figured, hey - 5% difference in cost for a 10% difference in mpg and slightly reduced performance, I'll give her the good stuff. But as the price differential tripled to $0.60 a gallon and the price of gas came down to $2.00 a gallon, we're looking at at a 10% reduction in mpg and a 30% increase in cost. So she's getting McDonalds gas now, not Ruth's Chris gas, and running just fine!
Old 11-02-15, 12:54 PM
kmaahs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Devh
These newer cars that are able to pull timing effectively to run regular unleaded is pretty neat however it doesn't change the high compression ratio that is octane dependent. The engines normal working parameters was dynamically tested with premium fuel and when you use regular unleaded you are having the computer work hard by pulling timing away otherwise the engine is going to blow up. If the engine overheats or taxied up a hill you may be on a razors edge.
I have to admit I do not know how well our engines handle lower octane fuel with current technology but in the past a few other engine designs that had this feature or those that ran regular unleaded in a car that called for premium suffered failures in time as a result not necessarily catastrophic. As the engine gets older there is a greater dependence on higher octane fuel because of deposits on the piston head and combustion chamber.

Cars that call for lower octane such as your Camry should only used the recommended fuel. Some people think they are benefited by running premium but in actuality they are creating unburnt fuel because of ignition timing that was designed for regular unleaded that can prematurely ruin catalytic converters and create deposits. This is the same reason why you shouldn't run premium in your lawn mower.
Having said that I would rather have a degree of safety by running premium but in a pinch I have no problem running regular unleaded but the car will not be driven hard. If cars were designed to run on regular unleaded and then were able to take advantage of higher octane by advancing the timing that would be different.
I just noticed that the 460 has a "required premium" notice. Is that what we should be
taking note of??
Old 11-02-15, 01:09 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by kmaahs
I just noticed that the 460 has a "required premium" notice. Is that what we should be
taking note of??
I don't really know but I too would like some more information on this.
Old 11-02-15, 01:16 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

My opinion is that 87 octane fuel is not a good idea. The engine sensors and computer work together to optimize the way the engine runs and to some degree protect the engine.

So if you put in in 87 octane ... how does the computer know it's running 87 octane? Does it somehow take a fuel sample? Does it have an element in the tank that has some way of detecting? No.

The computer doesn't really know it's running 87 octane, but what happens is the knock sensor does determine some level of knock. A level that human ears will not detect. But the knock sensor does, and the computer corrects timing based on that. That is how it works.

So what that tells me is, that you will achieving some level of knock when running 87 octane. The computer will adjust timing based on that. The hp and mpg will drop. I'm not certain this would be noticeable unless it was run down a dragstrip under both conditions, or mpg records were recorded religiously. Then it would likely be noticed. The power loss could be noticed seat of the pants by some drivers.

The computer will continuously try to add timing to the ignition, and will do so until it encounters knock, then it will readjust, to eliminate knock.

The reason the manual says to run premium is because when running 92 or 93 octane, the ignition mapping can run the full advanced timing it was programmed for with no timing retarding. This will make the engine run with maximum power, and highest mpg. It will make the engine seem more responsive. In summary what that does is: It makes the engine run at the best possible condition to give Lexus customers the BEST CUSTOMER SATISFACTION that is possible with their vehicle's engine. I worked for Toyota for 5 years. They're not just whistling Dixie about customer satisfaction. It is 100% their focus.

Where I live, premium is generally NO MORE than $0.40 per gallon more. Assuming I buy a full 20 gallon tank, that's $8 more expensive for premium. I do about 350 miles per tank around town. I did right at 5,000 miles last year. My premium for premium comes out to be $114 over last year. Then again, the mpg will drop somewhat with 87 octane, so the overall range will drop. So additional fuel will need to be purchased to equal the range of just buying premium.

Not a big deal to me in order to provide me the best engine experience, and to avoid knock, no matter how minimal. But at $114 (or less since mpg is higher with premium) ... the savings is insignificant. And could lead to problems.

7milesout

Last edited by 7milesout; 11-02-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 01:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Just run premium fuel guys...
Old 11-02-15, 01:42 PM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use QuikTrip gas and its 30 cents different between '87 and '91. That's $6 per gas tank. I only use '91 since I'm not worrying about saving $6 per tank. If someone worries about that $6 per tank, I don't think that person should be driving these cars. Luxury and saving don't go hand in hand much.
Old 11-02-15, 04:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

So if you put in in 87 octane ... how does the computer know it's running 87 octane? Does it somehow take a fuel sample? Does it have an element in the tank that has some way of detecting? No.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...#ixzz3qNjVpVXh
Knock sensors among other things. Like I said, you can run regular gas. Is it a "good" idea...no. But it's not a bad idea either. It really doesn't matter so long as yuou don't mind the performance difference and the decrease in fuel economy (which might be made up by the cheaper gas depending on the cost difference).
Old 11-02-15, 04:08 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Most distribution around the country is divided regionally. All of the gas stations within a region will get the same fuel regardless of brand. The special additives that are advertized are added at the pump.
I suppose this makes sense considering it's far cheaper and a lot less traffic on the road.
Old 11-02-15, 04:26 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

The LS engine is engineered to run premium gas (NOT regular) by engineers who have been well educated and test these engines to run at maximum potential so I will spend a little more on premium gas for my car.
BTW! Gotta love some of these threads!........ $70K.+ car and someone is asking about running regular gas.

Quick Reply: Using Regular gas in an 08 LS460