LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 LS - Holy crap.... can't get more polarizing than this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 07:25 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2017 LS - Holy crap.... can't get more polarizing than this...

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...el-cell-power/
Old 10-28-15, 08:05 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will be interesting to see what the final design looks like.
Old 10-28-15, 08:43 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I like it because it's bold and has lots of presence. I believe Toyota mentioned the new LS will be a radical departure from traditional styling more towards a Panamera or a Jag. It's possible that the new LS will come closer to this rendition. I would have prefered a more traditional sedan layout but this is not bad and if you want a world class car you need to be a leader by being cutting edge in design. It's controversial enough to grow into the design so it's future proof but not so out there to make it all out ugly.
Old 10-28-15, 08:57 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Those giant weird taillights won't be there. Expect to see a more conventional rear end. The wheels will shrink, of course. There will be mirrors. And there won't be a full-width screen across the entire dashboard.

Other than that, we're probably pretty close. The most amazing thing about it is the size - 209 inches long!! That's more than half a foot longer than the current L, and longer than a W222 S-Class. Seems they are aiming to push the LS upmarket.

The interior, the most important part of a car in this class, looks like it will be great once adapted to actual humans rather than the camera.

I'm impressed.
Old 10-28-15, 09:21 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Wow...
In my opinion, Lexus has out done, once again, everyone in the flagship market.
I think this design is incredibly modern, sheik and remarkably classy, but, to me, quite aggressive.
To see this car in person, as long as it's anticipated to be, I think to see this car in person will be borderline breath taking.
As Devh stated, the presence is undeniable.
How this car will present and its presence on the road, I think, will be that of an exotic.
I also agree with dal, that some things will be refined/added/adjusted for regulatory consumer purposes, but with all being said, this is what I think people were looking for.
I also think that this LS will make current MB/BMW flagship owners and pursuer take a double, if not, a triple take, granted the powertrain options can draw allure as does it's visual presence.

I like it very, very much.
Old 10-28-15, 09:55 AM
Devh
Racer

dal the LS has always been upmarket, 460 is just a little long on the tooth to relevant. This design makes our cars look like 430s.

Just look at what BMW is doing with their newer 7 series design which is really out there. The whole industry is changing what cars look like in a radical way which usually occurs once every ten or twenty years.
fifteen years from now this design will look more traditional and square.
Old 10-28-15, 10:01 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
dal the LS has always been upmarket, 460 is just a little long on the tooth to relevant. This design makes our cars look like 430s.

Just look at what BMW is doing with their newer 7 series design which is really out there. The whole industry is changing what cars look like in a radical way which usually occurs once every ten or twenty years.
fifteen years from now this design will look more traditional and square.
...and that notion, to me, is quite comical, though its likely to hold true.
Old 10-28-15, 10:04 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i can't wait for some spy photos next year? of it driving around!
Old 10-28-15, 10:25 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sign me up !!!!
Old 10-28-15, 10:38 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

We should know Lexus will always be on top and isn't about to be outdone by competitors. Lexus the pursuit of perfection. Waiting for it to hit the showrooms.
Old 10-28-15, 10:53 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I cant believe what I'm seeing
Attached Thumbnails 2017 LS - Holy crap....  can't get more polarizing than this...-e214d1f5025318c18bb76223058da05e.jpg   2017 LS - Holy crap....  can't get more polarizing than this...-lexus_ls_generations.jpg  
Old 10-28-15, 10:53 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I see a bit of Tesla in the side profile.
Old 10-28-15, 11:09 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by CRowe14
...and that notion, to me, is quite comical, though its likely to hold true.
At least it's not going to be as awkward as an AMC Pacer or the current Acura TL which tried to be revolutionary like Chris Bangle but failed. What I look for in a new design are elements that are controversial and risky which takes time for me to grow into. Let's say it looked great out of the gate based on a subtle transition in design it will not age very well and a prime example is the new S class which is destine to look ordinary in a few years. When the Panamera made its first appearance I didn't know what to think of it but it grew on me and it was also true with the past generation (Bengle) five series.
When people see this car on the road for the first time it's going to gather attention and will look far from ordinary. If I was MB I would start retooling.
Old 10-28-15, 11:09 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I like the look of the old Bang and Olufson type controls in the console and seat controls. Soft touch, finger sensitive type switchgear. And those wood grain seat sides look pretty.
Old 10-28-15, 11:21 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
At least it's not going to be as awkward as an AMC Pacer or the current Acura TL which tried to be revolutionary like Chris Bangle but failed. What I look for in a new design are elements that are controversial and risky which takes time for me to grow into. Let's say it looked great out of the gate based on a subtle transition in design it will not age very well and a prime example is the new S class which is destine to look ordinary in a few years. When the Panamera made its first appearance I didn't know what to think of it but it grew on me and it was also true with the past generation (Bengle) five series.
When people see this car on the road for the first time it's going to gather attention and will look far from ordinary. If I was MB I would start retooling.
HA!
Me personally, if I was in a MB S, A8 or 7 series, im thinking about the possibility of owning a new Lexus flagship!
Ironic that you mention the S class...
My wife's uncles was the talk of a family picnic back in 2012, when he pulled up in his brand new S class he so proudly told everyone he spent over $100k for.
Now, at the time, it looks stellar. Beautiful.
Fast forward to this past May, when I saw him and his car again.
Before I knew who owned the car (I saw it parked outside), I thought... "Why do MB cars often look so dated and out of style?"
Oddly enough, he comes outside and asked me while I stood next to my car.."What is this, a Lexus? Lexus what? I don't think I've ever seen this car before. Is this a new model?"

Quick Reply: 2017 LS - Holy crap.... can't get more polarizing than this...