LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Your car has been written off and there are no LS460's...What are you buying?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-15, 01:19 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Avalon or Genesis 5.0
Old 10-25-15, 03:41 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Just for fun......

You've been told that your car cannot be repaired and you must select a replacement. There are no LS460's ANYWHERE. What are you shopping for?

Aaaaannnnd GO!

Me first.

I'm taking a serious look at the Hyundai Equus or KIA K900 or Genesis Sedan 5.0 R Spec
WAIT Wait wait. Your April Fool's joke is very poorly timed. But ... you did own a 7 series just prior ... maybe you are serious?

I've worked in design engineering for both Toyota and Hyundai / Kia. I'm still buying Toyota cars and will never buy a Hyundai / Kia ... I don't care who they stole their styling from. It's what's underneath that's important, and those things that are underneath the styling of a Hyundai / Kia are where nightmares are conceived.
Old 10-25-15, 03:48 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

For a daily driver, I would buy a Volt. My commute is short. Even if it was my turn to take the fellas to lunch, I would still have enough electric range to use no gas. I would have to put sta-bil in the tank of gas I purchase once a year. :-D. For my fun car, I WILL HAVE a Viper ACR.
Old 10-25-15, 05:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
WAIT Wait wait. Your April Fool's joke is very poorly timed. But ... you did own a 7 series just prior ... maybe you are serious?

I've worked in design engineering for both Toyota and Hyundai / Kia. I'm still buying Toyota cars and will never buy a Hyundai / Kia ... I don't care who they stole their styling from. It's what's underneath that's important, and those things that are underneath the styling of a Hyundai / Kia are where nightmares are conceived.
LOL. I'm only partially joking. Fact is, I test drove a Hyundai Genesis (sedan with 5.0), just before I finally chose the LS. It was a close decision. The Genesis was a rocket and shifted through gears like an Indy car....quite intoxicating. It still had plenty of factory warranty left, was two years newer than the LS AND had all the options including the Lexicon sound system......plus it was almost 10k dollars cheaper. BUT, the fit and finish was not quite up to par with the LS. I decided to go with my gut and I have no regrets. I also sat in the Hyundai Equus, but it was out of my price range. It too was loaded and had the stellar warranty.

So why did I ask this question? Well, because there really aren't many choices that are out there that compare to the LS. The LS' size, drive train (V8 power rear wheel drive), luxury level and reliability puts it in a class of it's own except for the Genesis, Equus and K900. I've sat in and driven Caddies (yawn), owned two BMW's (never again), wanted an A8, but won't buy German EVER again, and neither Infinity, nor Acura makes a comparable model to the LS. The Lincoln's styling makes me nauseous in much the same way the Caddy does. Plus, I don't trust domestics, nor do I find their quality appealing. As for Hyundai and KIA reliability, I have several family and friends that own everything from a Santa Fe to an Elantra and Accent. NONE of them have had ANY issues whatsoever. Their service departments treat them right and even got free scheduled maintenance for a couple of years. Add to all that, the warranty's which are unbeatable. But again, none of them have had to use them so far.

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to see where all my peeps here are at. Although tastes and wants can change and are sometimes fleeting, I don't want to drive anything but a large luxury sedan, which made me wonder where I'd be if it weren't for my LS. Others here seem to be ok with very different cars from their LS (Avalon, Viper, etc). That's not me anymore. I'd probably end up in the GS350 (or even an older GS460). OR....as I stated earlier...an Equus.
Old 10-25-15, 06:25 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I know its not the same as a K900 but my daughters 2006 Kia Optima make it 68k miles before the engine exploded. They didn't start the 100k mile warranty until 2008. lol
Old 10-25-15, 08:12 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I sat inside a 2015 Genesis. For some reason, as a driver, I felt more confined than in the LS. I think it had to do with the center console height and/or placement. My 2010 LS460 has a more refined interior than the one I recall in the Genesis.
Old 10-25-15, 08:25 PM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though i love the ls460's grace

But i feel i made a wrong decision buying this car

If i was to change it i would go for a 350z or 370z manual tranny .. blue color
Old 10-25-15, 11:41 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No Germans. Who got time for that s? I want to drive my car to places other than the shop.

Even expensive Koreans have not yet demonstrated the level of refinement you find from... well, anywhere else.

I'd probably get a GS450h. I'd also try to find and drive one of the unicorn RLX SH-AWD Sport Hybrids.
Old 10-26-15, 05:01 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The Genesis is a nice car. I like the lines. It's definitely overpriced for the loaded model. Lots of engine noise and it did not feel particularly refined. I also like the new 7 series but reliability is quite questionable.
Old 10-26-15, 06:04 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would probably shoot and try for a Jag XJ...

... or at the other end of the spectrum... an Acura RL (which is so under-appreciated)
Old 10-26-15, 06:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
The Genesis is a nice car. I like the lines. It's definitely overpriced for the loaded model. Lots of engine noise and it did not feel particularly refined.
Are you talking about the new Genesis? Then I completely disagree. Overpriced? Where can you get a RWD V8 luxury car with that level of equipment and refinement for less than $55k?

I thought the car was very refined, and with the V8 it reminded me a lot of my LS. The V6 is a little coarse.

Jag XJ is a beautiful car but the technology is so backwards.
Old 10-26-15, 06:47 AM
someguy99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consumer Reports recently dropped the Tesla MS as a recommended car due to its reliability rating dropping to below average as their survey data set has expanded (albeit only to 2013-present).
Old 10-26-15, 06:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I know enough people with Teslas, all of which are delighted with them not to worry about that.

Anyways, the Tesla is new cutting edge tech. Anybody who buys one expecting it to be as reliable and long lasting as an LS is being silly.
Old 10-26-15, 08:04 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I've enjoyed reading many of the responses here.
Now, for me, I've internalized the question and decided that its a two-sided answer.
The practical response and the "the hell with it" response.

My practical response would be upper-end: GS 450H, lower-end: Honda Accord.
Nice cars, reliable, daily drivers, easy on the eyes, GS (nice)/Accord (decent) interiors.

"The hell with it" choice's:
Jag XJ L.
I simply love the way they look on the exterior. Interior is a bit meh...
S Class/S Class Coupe: Simply stunning in all aspects.
Though I'm personally not a fan of the round AC/heat vents

Both sleek, aggressively classy looking cars.

I'd have to say though, if the Jag had a more stylish interior, something likened to the S class, I'd pick the "look" of the Jag over the S Class.
Though the S is beautiful, I really enjoy the lines of the Jag front to back.
Old 10-26-15, 08:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Are you talking about the new Genesis? Then I completely disagree. Overpriced? Where can you get a RWD V8 luxury car with that level of equipment and refinement for less than $55k?
Exactly. In fact you can pick up a 2015 with 10k miles, here in Canada with AWD, panoramic roof, 5.0 liter engine and loaded for 37k dollars CDN ....(about 30k U.S.). That's huge depreciation, but a great value for the subsequent buyer. A 2012 R Spec you can get for 20k dollars with 30k miles.

Quick Reply: Your car has been written off and there are no LS460's...What are you buying?