LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

best super luxury car (US News)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 02:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I agree you are correct on all points. I ran an inflation calculator and prices, overall, have about doubled since 1989. And the LS, which was about $35,000 to $40,000 at onset, is now about double that if you exclude the higher end models with equipment that wasn't available in 1989 and compare to and "average equipped" LS. So you're right. I guess the difference, in my mind, is that the quality of average cars (like Accord) has improved so much. In the 1980s you really had to buy a luxury car for great quality. Now even average is great. I've been driving my son's 2014 Corolla and while "ain't no Lexus, let alone an LS", it just made me realize that good enough is good enough. I might change my mind but I'm inclined to close the chapter on the luxury car portion of my life.
Imagine how hard it is for me given the number of Lexus vehicles I've owned over the last 17 years. My Dad's 98 LS was $59k. His 04 LS UL with every option was about $67k. My 2015 LS which is fairly basic was $79k.

My 03 ES was $39k, my 2010 ES was $42k, my 2013 GS was $60k. So that GS cost more than his first LS did.

Average cars are much better, but they aren't to the same level that cars like the LS are. The refinement of the LS is heads and shoulders above them, even the other Lexus models.

Seriously...I'd just keep your LS running before I would trade it for an ES or an Accord.
Old 10-22-15, 02:19 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

I've been doing just that. It is just over 6 years old and has 74K miles. It's been well maintained both mechanically and cosmetically. But it's getting "tired". Pittsburgh winters will do that after 6 years, even if you are careful.
Old 10-22-15, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

6 years old and 74k miles its just getting started.

Another option is to buy used next time. If you don't want to spend more than 40-50k, then a 3 year old LS or other equivalent luxury car is within your grasp.
Old 10-22-15, 02:29 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Imagine how hard it is for me given the number of Lexus vehicles I've owned over the last 17 years. My Dad's 98 LS was $59k. His 04 LS UL with every option was about $67k. My 2015 LS which is fairly basic was $79k.

My 03 ES was $39k, my 2010 ES was $42k, my 2013 GS was $60k. So that GS cost more than his first LS did.

Average cars are much better, but they aren't to the same level that cars like the LS are. The refinement of the LS is heads and shoulders above them, even the other Lexus models.

Seriously...I'd just keep your LS running before I would trade it for an ES or an Accord.
I think though, perhaps the point that you may be over looking, is that he seems to be making subtle mention of his priorities as they're associated with vehicle purchases; what they've been versus what they currently are and how he possibly forecast them to be.

I doubt that anyone in this forum would argue the fact that an older (7-8 years old), well manicured LS versus even a brand new Accord, the favor still heavily lies, if not completely lies with the LS.
The craftsmanship and engineering is all together in a different segment.

I think the thing that the LS has shown me, is that with a well builtolder model car that has been taken care of, that absolutely it can rival, if not, perform and feel better than a brand new Accord.
Im still very surprised at how comfortable, quiet, smooth and refined my car is in comparison to a '12 Honda make in my household and the numerous newer vehicles ('11 and up) that co-workers own and I've rode in for different occasions.

Indeed the Accord and Camry have made great strides and great efforts to offer the consumer a very decent vehicle that offer standard options that before could only be found in higher-end vehicles, and will last you for quite some time.

Now, an 8 year old Accord wont feel like an 8 year old LS, but it isn't supposed to. But it'll still be a pretty decent, solid car with a pretty decent ride.

Last edited by CRowe14; 10-22-15 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 02:30 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

REPLY TO TWO POSTS ABOVE:

Been there and done that. It's actually a better value-per-mile to buy new and keep it 7 years than it is to buy a 3 or 4 year old used car and keep it until it's 7 total. And there's no risk with new. Particularly around here...a 3 year old car will need brakes and tires soon after buying, or it will be priced into the car if already done. GM and Ford (and certainly Chrysler) cars are a decent value buying 3-4 years old...but then you get spotty quality. There's no free lunch.
Old 10-22-15, 02:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm a new car guy myself, but its hard to deny the value of a CPO Lexus LS with say 35k miles at $45k with new tires and brakes and a 100k warranty.
Old 10-22-15, 02:37 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm a new car guy myself, but its hard to deny the value of a CPO Lexus LS with say 35k miles at $45k with new tires and brakes and a 100k warranty.
^^^
Old 10-23-15, 06:23 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..and this is exactly what i'll be thinking when its time for me to step into the 460 arena. I would love to buy new but i'm(my pockets) just not built that way as of yet. Hopefully my 430 will hold off the new(used) car itch for a couple more years. My next step is a house then i'll think about the 460.
Old 10-24-15, 05:11 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Reading those rankings (and the article on the LS), I must say I'm pretty surprised about how it's viewed. Sluggish?? Transmission shifts slow? Feels big and heavy? Anyone else get these feeling when driving the LS? Personally I've driven a lot of cars, and I think it feels fast. I think it feels, handles and steers like a much smaller/tighter car. If you lay into the gas pedal you are going places in a hurry. I don't get it, is the Audi A8 and Mercedes that amazing? Because I've driven plenty of Audi's, you should feel what their transmissions feel like - they don't know what gear they're supposed to be in and just hunt between gears constantly...it's th most annoying thing I've ever experienced.
Old 10-24-15, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you compare the LS to the newer vehicles in the segment I agree it feels sluggish, big and heavy. The main reason for that is ever improving suspension systems that keep cars feeling lighter, the fact that the newer cars ARE lighter because of more extensive use of aluminum or even carbon fibre, and powerless its because the newer cars are all supercharged and turbocharged engines that have lots of power and torque available down lower in the power band, so they feel faster.

Bear in mind that an AWD LS460L is 4,695 lbs. An S550 4 Matic, despite being bigger and better equipped on the whole is only 4,630 lbs. The LS460L has 360 hp and 347 lb/ft of torque, peak HP is at 6400 RPM and peak torque is at 4100 RPM. The S550 has 449 hp and 516 lb/ft of torque, peak power is at 5250 RPM while peak torque is at 1800 RPM. So...yeah...the S550 is 30 lbs lighter, has 90 more hp available 750 RPM lower, and 169 more lb ft of torque available 2,300 RPM lower! Its going to feel quicker.

You see this when you're comparing the cars back to back constantly, like the auto press does. When you just drive an LS every day its not in your face like that.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-24-15 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 08:44 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If you compare the LS to the newer vehicles in the segment I agree it feels sluggish, big and heavy. The main reason for that is ever improving suspension systems that keep cars feeling lighter, the fact that the newer cars ARE lighter because of more extensive use of aluminum or even carbon fibre, and powerless its because the newer cars are all supercharged and turbocharged engines that have lots of power and torque available down lower in the power band, so they feel faster.

Bear in mind that an AWD LS460L is 4,695 lbs. An S550 4 Matic, despite being bigger and better equipped on the whole is only 4,630 lbs. The LS460L has 360 hp and 347 lb/ft of torque, peak HP is at 6400 RPM and peak torque is at 4100 RPM. The S550 has 449 hp and 516 lb/ft of torque, peak power is at 5250 RPM while peak torque is at 1800 RPM. So...yeah...the S550 is 30 lbs lighter, has 90 more hp available 750 RPM lower, and 169 more lb ft of torque available 2,300 RPM lower! Its going to feel quicker.

You see this when you're comparing the cars back to back constantly, like the auto press does. When you just drive an LS every day its not in your face like that.
Gotcha, the Audi and Mercedes must be an incredible ride then.
Old 10-24-15, 08:58 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Reading those rankings (and the article on the LS), I must say I'm pretty surprised about how it's viewed. Sluggish?? Transmission shifts slow? Feels big and heavy? Anyone else get these feeling when driving the LS? Personally I've driven a lot of cars, and I think it feels fast. I think it feels, handles and steers like a much smaller/tighter car. If you lay into the gas pedal you are going places in a hurry. I don't get it, is the Audi A8 and Mercedes that amazing? Because I've driven plenty of Audi's, you should feel what their transmissions feel like - they don't know what gear they're supposed to be in and just hunt between gears constantly...it's th most annoying thing I've ever experienced.
The LS transmission is slow to shift compared to the competition. I believe Toyota has intentionally done this for the longevity of the transmission. Toyota has done something similar in their SMT transmission from the past. If you want performance it comes with the price of reliability.
When you drive the LS like a normal car it's not really detectable and that's what it should be about.
If the Germans want to turn a luxury yacht into a speedboat that is their deal. People want to put too much into one car losing sight of what a luxury car should be.
Old 10-24-15, 09:03 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I've always found polls can be skewed to represent the writer. No matter the theme or product, anyone can be number one. it's just more creative fodder for internet browsers to find.
Old 10-24-15, 09:48 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I think most LS460 fans are people who want a luxury car, are fine with understated designs, treasure great craftsmanship and quality components, want a smooth ride with relatively quiet cabin noise, appreciate important luxury features without needing the newest high-tech features, and perhaps most of all, require a car with a superior reputation for reliability. The owners could see keeping their cars for years, rather than changing out every 24-36 months.

Polls and rankings may reflect much different priorities than the typical LS460 owner and thus rate the car lower than we would.
Old 10-24-15, 10:00 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I think most LS460 fans are people who want a luxury car, are fine with understated designs, treasure great craftsmanship and quality components, want a smooth ride with relatively quiet cabin noise, appreciate important luxury features without needing the newest high-tech features, and perhaps most of all, require a car with a superior reputation for reliability. The owners could see keeping their cars for years, rather than changing out every 24-36 months.

Polls and rankings may reflect much different priorities than the typical LS460 owner and thus rate the car lower than we would.
I think the LS is not for everyone. I believe you described the typical LS buyer which is cut from the same cloth as your average Camry owner. They are not driven by emotional hedonism but a clear sense of practicality and compromise.
Then there are those like myself that learned a valuable lesson in value by owning a BMW and eventually finding refuge in a Lexus.

Quick Reply: best super luxury car (US News)