LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts? Ls460

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 11:24 PM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts? Ls460

http://dublinvolkswagencars.com/html...tm=L#thumbnail

Mileage is very high for a 2007. I took a peak at CJITTY's thread about the options and it seems to have everything including the mark MARK LEVINSON system, park assist, and even rear shade from what I think i see. But mileage is a little too high, what are your opinions on this?
Old 10-13-15, 04:36 AM
Pistachio
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what services were done and the price. At that mileage, the car should be around 15k or less.
Old 10-13-15, 08:03 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Set up an account on lexusdriver.com or mylexus.com, obtain the VIN from this car and take a look at the history.
Agreed that 155k+ is quite a lot, but if its been kept up, perhaps it'll work for you.
But I have to say that if you have patience and keep looking, better respective models with much less mileage can be obtained.
Look at it this way, even though its a Lexus, this car has not only been around for a while, but already has a good amount of miles on it and more than likely, there WILL be repairs that will need to be done.
Its been driven an average of 17k-19k miles/year and you have no idea how its been driven.
Also, if you going to move forward, it'd be best to go the cash route, as I don't think you'd desire to have a note on a car that has 155k on it out the gate.
Note even sure if that's possible...
But, indeed, do your research, thoroughly read this forum as well as the sticky on top of the main page, do your own research and feel free to ask anything.
Its a great group of people here!
GL!
Old 10-13-15, 08:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Those mileage numbers are similar to mine. I drive 60 miles a day to and from work - all highway. Add to that the city driving I do (and pleasure). usually higher mileage cars are highway numbers, which is good. I wouldn't be too concerned if it were me, but as mentioned by Pistachio, it depends on the price.
Old 10-13-15, 08:37 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Those mileage numbers are similar to mine. I drive 60 miles a day to and from work - all highway. Add to that the city driving I do (and pleasure). usually higher mileage cars are highway numbers, which is good. I wouldn't be too concerned if it were me, but as mentioned by Pistachio, it depends on the price.
There are more of these higher millage cars from the so called "avoidable" years in wild showing up lately and it seems like they are holding up great unlike the unfair stigma they are given. Another 45k and it will be in the 200k mile club.
Old 10-13-15, 08:51 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I agree with RF and Devh.
Its not that I don't think the car can take the additional miles, its just the ideal of purchasing the car at 155k+.
RF, you stated that's what you do now-mile-wise, but you didn't purchase the car with 155k on it.
Would you have, even with it being an LS?
Also, you take quite great care of your car, others may not do the same.
But on the other hand, it may have been babied and as you stated, highway miles.
My desire was to simply introduce the variable of discernment regarding purchasing a car with that high of a mileage point.
It could very well go 500k relatively problem free, and it would then be considered one heck of a buy.
Old 10-13-15, 08:58 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't buy a car with that type of mileage as my daily transportation, but that's just me. The car will run much longer, but things will begin to go wrong. Suspension components wear out, electrical accessories fail, and you can find yourself looking at spending a lot of money to fix what will still be a high-mileage car once you've fixed it.

The interior of that particular car also looks like crap, IMO. Seats are saggy and obviously worn (with cracks starting to form), steering wheel and shifter are very worn, carpet looks dirty, and wood is scratched. That tells me that the owner was not a particularly conscientious one. I'd wait for a better car to come along.
Old 10-13-15, 09:17 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dal20402
I wouldn't buy a car with that type of mileage as my daily transportation, but that's just me. The car will run much longer, but things will begin to go wrong. Suspension components wear out, electrical accessories fail, and you can find yourself looking at spending a lot of money to fix what will still be a high-mileage car once you've fixed it.

The interior of that particular car also looks like crap, IMO. Seats are saggy and obviously worn (with cracks starting to form), steering wheel and shifter are very worn, carpet looks dirty, and wood is scratched. That tells me that the owner was not a particularly conscientious one. I'd wait for a better car to come along.
You know I didn't even realize more photos were available. But after reading your entry, I went back and took a look.
I will say that for a car that's been driven a good amount over the years, the car, to me, isn't in that bad of shape. Now im not saying that it looks great by any means! But from the standpoint of craftsmanship, its held up pretty well.
Nearly all of the decals are legible/unworn, shifter still looks good. Even the Push Button start button still looks good.
Steering wheel, seats and carpet are definitely worn and could be in better shape, but some of that, at that mileage point, is to be expected.
Indeed this car shows wear and could have been cared for in a better fashion. Quite possibly the thing that'd be more telling is that it shows quite a lot of wear in photos and probably looks worse in person, but I still think overall, its held up pretty well, at least so it seems (on the interior).
There are indeed better ones out there, one just has to take the time to look.
Old 10-13-15, 09:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I agree with RF and Devh.
Its not that I don't think the car can take the additional miles, its just the ideal of purchasing the car at 155k+.
RF, you stated that's what you do now-mile-wise, but you didn't purchase the car with 155k on it.
Would you have, even with it being an LS?
Also, you take quite great care of your car, others may not do the same.
But on the other hand, it may have been babied and as you stated, highway miles.
My desire was to simply introduce the variable of discernment regarding purchasing a car with that high of a mileage point.
It could very well go 500k relatively problem free, and it would then be considered one heck of a buy.
No, I bought it with 60k miles. However, if the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate to buy higher mileage. I'm THAT confident with the LS being reliable.
Old 10-13-15, 09:53 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No, I bought it with 60k miles. However, if the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate to buy higher mileage. I'm THAT confident with the LS being reliable.
Point well taken!
Side note: (I think you'll find this funny)
I was at the gas station yesterday morning and there was a 7 series at the pump in front of me.
The owner comes out and says:
"Hey, great looking car! I'd have gotten an LS but they're boring! You have a nice color but styling is boring and the drive is boring. And people say the build quality is lesser with the 7, but in all honesty, id rather have a nicer looking car, nicer driving car and deal with a few problems then to have a car that's going to lull me to sleep. But that's just me".
I asked his model year and he said '08. He told me I should have considered a 7 and I was honest and said I have read too many negative things and have heard about too many negative things about the 7 series for me to even consider it, but its a great looking car.
He said you cant go by what you read and what you hear, you have to own one, and that if he went off of what people had to say and what he read all the time, he would own a home, work where he works and wouldn't drive any car and either walk or bike to work.
The clock was ticking, so we paid each other respectable compliments and bid one another a good day.
Hey...to each their own.
Old 10-13-15, 10:01 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Point well taken!
I was at the gas station yesterday morning and there was a 7 series at the pump in front of me.
"Hey, great looking car! I'd have gotten an LS but they're boring! You have a nice color but styling is boring and the drive is boring. And people say the build quality is lesser with the 7, but in all honesty, id rather have a nicer looking car, nicer driving car and deal with a few problems then to have a car that's going to lull me to sleep. But that's just me".
I asked his model year and he said '08. He told me I should have considered a 7 and I was honest and said I have read too many negative things and have heard about too many negative things about the 7 series for me to even consider it, but its a great looking car.
He said you cant go by what you read and what you hear, you have to own one, and that if he went off of what people had to say and what he read all the time, he would own a home, work where he works and wouldn't drive any car and either walk or bike to work.
The clock was ticking, so we paid each other respectable compliments and bid one another a good day.
Hey...to each their own.
When he drove away, did he disappear in a cloud of blue smoke and leaking trans fluid??

I received similar comments when I bid farewell at the Bimmerfest forums. But in the same breath, many of the members congratulated me on the LS and wished they could have a boring car instead of the litany of problems they were having.

A more "exciting" car shouldn't mean waiting for a check engine light or other warning light to come on at any moment.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-13-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 10:02 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Point well taken!
Hey...to each their own.
I think you should have told him you agree that you cant go off what you hear, that's why you chose the LS.
Old 10-13-15, 10:07 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

some of that, at that mileage point, is to be expected.
Indeed. I wouldn't expect a car with 155k miles to look perfect (although I've seen some really good high-mileage cars; our materials are just that durable). But this goes beyond wear and tear into neglect. Shiny seats show leather wasn't cleaned. Cracks are forming in several places. Wheel leather is flaking (and that is the most durable leather on the car). The carpet looks like it was never cleaned. Even with very high mileage it's possible to do a lot better.
Old 10-13-15, 10:09 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dal20402
Indeed. I wouldn't expect a car with 155k miles to look perfect (although I've seen some really good high-mileage cars; our materials are just that durable). But this goes beyond wear and tear into neglect. Shiny seats show leather wasn't cleaned. Cracks are forming in several places. Wheel leather is flaking (and that is the most durable leather on the car). The carpet looks like it was never cleaned. Even with very high mileage it's possible to do a lot better.
Have they already detailed it? If not, they should and that way you can get a better idea of what is wear/tear and what's simply just dirty.
Old 10-13-15, 10:12 AM
LMoney4o8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently bought my ls430 01 at 175k and now it's at 184k. And before that I had a 99 LS400 @200k. The reason I am looking for a new car is because ls460 had always been one of my favorite cars, (so has the 430). But I always wanted to fix up a ls460 so bad haha. I never hesitated buying any of the previous LS but this one had really high mileage for the year.

You can view more pictures of the car through the website also the carfax on the site says there's a recall.

Quick Reply: Thoughts? Ls460