LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wipers resting position.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-15, 01:06 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Wipers resting position.

This issue was touched on briefly in an older thread so I thought that I'd start a fresh thread for future reference.

When I bought my '11 SWB CPO a few months ago I immediately realized that the wipers were resting a bit too high -- quite a bit above the black lower portion of the windshield (and enough to be annoying). Interestingly, when the windshield was wet they'd go all the way down, but they'd remain high once the windshield started to dry. So I decided to have the wipers "fixed" to sit lower.

I took the car in to a local Lexus dealership and the shop foreman told me that the wipers on a LS460 cannot be adjusted. That didn't sound right. So a few days later I took the car to another Lexus dealership 15 miles away. A tech spent 35 mins. with the car and was able to get them much lower. Great! (or so I thought). This weekend on a road trip I drove through a 3 hour rainstorm only to find that the wipers would hit the vehicle while in operation. So this morning I took the car back to the second dealership. Now the wipers sit "just right" (like Goldilocks' porridge) and don't hit the car.

It's a bit troubling that I had to get a second opinion, but I'm so glad that I did!
Old 10-10-15, 01:33 PM
Superes350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ES350 has two different positions. The higher position puts it above the black and is for winter driving. To adjust it feels like you're going to break it, but it's simply how it is.
I wonder if yours has that and they tried actually adjusting it.
Old 10-10-15, 01:47 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Superes350
ES350 has two different positions. The higher position puts it above the black and is for winter driving. To adjust it feels like you're going to break it, but it's simply how it is.
I wonder if yours has that and they tried actually adjusting it.
No; the LS460 does not have a winter mode for the wipers.
Old 10-10-15, 02:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree that the wipers sit too high at rest. Makes the car look cheap. I tried adjusting, but then they slap the plastic trim at the base of the windshield. In fact, even in the "too high for my liking" position, they slap at the high speed setting.
Old 10-10-15, 06:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Mine don't sit too high and don't slap...
Old 10-10-15, 07:11 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Mine don't sit too high and don't slap...
It's the same for me. My wipers tuck in deep.
Old 10-12-15, 10:54 AM
motionman
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus Windshield Wiper Trick.

MotionMan
Old 10-12-15, 12:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by motionman
Dang....can't open that link on my work computer. Anyone have a summary on what the link tells us?
Old 10-12-15, 12:03 PM
motionman
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Dang....can't open that link on my work computer. Anyone have a summary on what the link tells us?
Here it is (without the pictures):

2013 Lexus GS 350: The Windshield Wiper Trick
June 14, 2013

2013 Lexus GS 350

Last February, during what passes for winter here in southern California, an alert reader noticed that the windshield wipers on our 2013 Lexus GS 350 were in the winter park position.

He was right of course, but several of us hadn't noticed. Snow is something we generally keep at arm's length in these parts unless we choose to ski on it.

The so-called "Snow/Service" position reduces the chance that light to moderate snow accumulation will bury the wipers. It keeps them out from under the edge of the hood so they can be lifted and unstuck.

But it's more than that, and GS owners in warm climates like ours should know what's up. That's because this raised position improves access to the wiper blades when they need changing.

During my road trip to the Circuit of the Americas, I put the wipers back in the summer position after reading the manual while I sat munching enchiladas in a café in Grants, New Mexico. I took pictures, filed them on my laptop, then promptly forgot all about them.

So here they are. Better late than never, right?
2013 Lexus GS 350

It's pretty easy to put the wipers back in the normal position once you know you won't break anything. Stand on the passenger side, not the driver's side, and press the blade down parallel to the glass in the direction you'd expect. It takes a bit of pressure to overcome the detent, but not too much. There's no reason to go to the driver's side after this. Both blades snap into position together.

2013 Lexus GS 350

This is where they're supposed to live most of the time, tucked in where they'll generate less aerodynamic turbulence and less wind noise. They look nicer here, too.

How do you put them back into the snow/service position? I don't have a picture of that, but it's not quite what you think.

Again, you must be on the passenger side, but you don't pull the blade back up the windshield toward the roof. Instead you lift the arm straight up off the glass a couple inches or so, then apply gentle backward pressure, if needed.

You can almost do it accidentally when you clean the glass. In fact, that's probably how our GS's wipers got into the snow/service position in the first place.
MotionMan
Old 10-12-15, 12:09 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

SO when the wipers are in the proper/hidden "rest" position, are you not supposed to be able to see them at all if you were standing in front of the car look towards it? Like, are they supposed to be nearly or completely tucked and not visible above the hood line?
Old 10-12-15, 01:16 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

The LS460's wipers do not have a winter park position.
Old 10-12-15, 01:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As others have said, that link is not applicable to the LS, there is no winter park position.

I will take a picture of mine, since mine is the newest we know its set to factory spec.
Old 10-12-15, 01:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah this has been discussed before, but the LS has no such feature. I was hoping this was a mod that could be done. Too bad.....I was excited for a second there....

Mine at rest, sit above the hoodline.....definately visible
Old 10-12-15, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haven't had a chance to snap a picture. The wipers are clearly visible at rest, but they don't sit up above the black border of the windshield.
Old 10-12-15, 04:21 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Haven't had a chance to snap a picture. The wipers are clearly visible at rest, but they don't sit up above the black border of the windshield.
With mine being a much older model, mine are quite visible as well, but we'll below the black border at the bottom of the windshield.
Any lower, looking in that area from the passenger side, the larger of the two arm's (the drivers side arm), would be well beneath the hood line, almost appearing to go in the opposite direction.

Quick Reply: Wipers resting position.