LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Snow Performance - Realistic Expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 12:21 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Snow Performance - Realistic Expectations?

So I know this topic has been discussed previously, but I'm wondering how is the snow performance on the AWD version of the 2013 models.

I currently drive an SC430 (RWD sport coupe), with all season tires. Snow performance is sub optimal, for obvious reasons.

Can I expect decent snow performance in the 2013 AWD model, up to perhaps in 3 inches of snow?

I recently drove an AWD IS250 (entirely stock) in heavy snow and was VERY VERY impressed with how stable it seemed.

Can I expect the LS460 AWD to be at least as good as an IS250 in the snow?

Is the LS drivetrain normally in RWD mode, or FWD mode, under normal circumstances, on non slippery surfaces?

Sorry for all the basic questions, but many of the answers I've found via search relate to pre-2013 models.

Thank you.
Old 10-02-15, 12:48 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The AWD system did not change for 2013. It's rear-biased 60/40 in normal conditions.

Honestly, snow tires will make much more difference to your snow performance than AWD, and most of the performance difference you experienced between cars was probably attributable to the particular tires installed. When the snow flies I'd much rather have a RWD car with snows than an AWD one without. AWD is better than no AWD, particularly when you're starting from a dead stop, but it can't help you stop or turn.
Old 10-02-15, 12:56 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I appreciate the feedback.

I certainly agree that snow-specific tires would make a substantial difference, but many of us living in apartments cannot possibly store an extra set of tires (or go through the hassle of getting them swapped twice a year). For some people, it works though.

The excellent snow experience I had in the AWD 2012 was on nearly brand-new, but SUPER CHEAP Chinese tires (the most "cost efficient" , but new, tires available at tire shop).

I'm glad to hear the AWD system is 60/40. I was reading that the RX SUV is primarily FWD, and RWD only kicks in when necessary (I realize we're comparing apples to oranges, however).
Old 10-02-15, 01:02 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Believe me, I understand the storage issue. I live in a condo with a garage that just barely fits my LS (I ruled out LWBs because of the garage). And I don't live in a snowy climate, so I just won't drive the car the one or two days a year it snows. But if I lived in a snowy climate, I'd take the time for the swap, and I'd pay a shop to store the other tires (many shops will do this at minimal cost).
Old 10-02-15, 02:53 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
Believe me, I understand the storage issue. I live in a condo with a garage that just barely fits my LS (I ruled out LWBs because of the garage). And I don't live in a snowy climate, so I just won't drive the car the one or two days a year it snows. But if I lived in a snowy climate, I'd take the time for the swap, and I'd pay a shop to store the other tires (many shops will do this at minimal cost).
All the shops around here have a winter "package", when you buy a set of winter tires. In fact, most offer them even without a purchase. This will involve storing the Summer tires in Winter and the Winters in Summer, re-mounting, balancing, rotation, etc.

I do not have AWD and we don't get much snow here in this part of Canada, but the little snow we did get, my car performed flawlessly on four true Winter tires.
Old 10-02-15, 02:55 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my second LS. first one was rwd and current one is awd. I have used all season tires and winter tires on my rwd car can I can honestly say that winter tires greatly helped. But became a pain in the butt to switch out and it cost a fair amount too. I did not have an extra set of rims, because I was too cheap to buy a nice pair. Looking back maybe I should have. But now that I have an awd car, 2011, and I can say it performs better that the rwd car ever did. Snow tire included. My current car has all season michelins which have no problem accelerating from a stop anywhere and taking off as fast as I want. I would say no problem in 3 inches of snow. The accellering and moving forward, hands down awd wins regaurdless of tires. I would however say that stopping and turning will rely on a tire selection for which car performs better. For me, awd was a clear choice
Old 10-02-15, 06:42 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

An AWD LS460 should be able to drive right through 2 feet of fresh snow without a problem. Look at this (not an LS, but similar ground clearance):
Old 10-03-15, 11:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The AWD should be a total tank in the snow with decent snow tires. I have a rwd and with snow tires I had no problems driving through the worst winter in Boston's history...without the snows?? I couldn't make it out my driveway, seriously. It made that much of a difference for me.

I actually have a "winter car", for snow days, but I never used it last year.
Old 10-03-15, 09:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

The real value of snow tires is not in accelerating but in stopping.

Consumer Reports used an all wheel drive Honda CR-V to test stopping in snow with all season tires and with snow tires. At 60 mph the snows stopped in 310' while the all season took 668'. That is one huge, and potentially accident saving, difference.
Old 10-04-15, 07:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The real value of snow tires is not in accelerating but in stopping.

Consumer Reports used an all wheel drive Honda CR-V to test stopping in snow with all season tires and with snow tires. At 60 mph the snows stopped in 310' while the all season took 668'. That is one huge, and potentially accident saving, difference.
Snow tires help in all areas, but as you state, stopping is where they shine. I'll add that they help a LOT in handling, cornering and manouevering. Overall, there's no doubt that dedicated (snowflake symbol) winter/snow tires, are a HUGE improvement in snow conditions. That is especially true now with the advancements in rubber technology and the addition of silica in the compositions, as well as better siping. Here in Canada, there are more and more regions that are making snow tires mandatory between certain months. Here in my part of Canada, we don't get much if any snow, but even when temps get to 7 deg celcius (45 F) or lower, winter tires remain far more pliable and grippy on the colder pavement, due to the softer compounds. When the temps here get anywhere near freezing, I mount my winter tires - snow or not. The ride is better and the handling too - especially if there's any black ice or freezing rain.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-04-15 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-04-15, 08:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

My AWD GS was very good in the snow, I was very impressed. We'll see if the LS is as impressive.

I have been told that the AWD system on the LS is less robust than that on the GS and IS.
Old 10-05-15, 08:49 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I have been told that the AWD system on the LS is less robust than that on the GS and IS.
EDIT: Disregard my previous comment; it was wrong. I didn't know the GS/IS had a locking clutch.

The LS, unlike the GS/IS, can't lock the F/R torque split. But its system is still very good, better than most AWD systems on FWD-based cars. The LS system is very similar to the quattro systems on longitudinal-engine Audis (A4 and up).

Last edited by dal20402; 10-05-15 at 08:56 AM.