LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 05:34 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Upgrade

Oil filter housing upgrade

Apparently Toyota has upgraded the oil filter housing to an all aluminum one to address some of the shortcomings of the plastic housing that is known to come out of round, crack and leak. I felt mine was weakening so I decided to upgrade. This part might be on your car already I don't know so it wouldn't be a bad idea to check.
The part I bought from EBay listed the part as being compatible for the LS 460 but that's not entirely correct and the reason why I decided to post a write up.

Here are both housings side by side.

You will notice that the perforated tube support is longer on the plastic housing. Apparently there are three sizes of tubes to accommodate three different filter sizes.
From my research I stumbled on the Tundra forum where they had to swap in their tube which is the largest. Our tube is the second largest or the middle tube. The one that comes with the housing is the shortest and it will need to be dissembled and swapped otherwise it will be too short as you can see from the picture below.

To swap the tube is easy. On the picture below you will need to bend the tabs (indicated by the arrows) upwards using a small screw driver.

I thought mine would clear by twisting off but it didn't so with a little manipulation I was able to pry out the tube by pushing it to one side and then using a screw driver to lift it out of the way.

Here are the parts disassembled.

What is not shown in the picture is a small plate like valve that just seats into place on the filter housing under the spring. Reassembly just requires you to manipulate the tabs back into the housing to lock in and your done.

This is what it will look like.

I initially thought this was just the metal version of the plastic part but actually I found that the little drain plug on the bottom of the filter housing seemed to bottom out perfectly so it cannot be over tightened . On the plastic housing it can be over tightened and become useless during an oil change because the whole filter housing moves when trying to remove it defeating the purpose of preventing a mess.

During the install of the new housing I noticed that I could hand tighten it to the point where it also bottoms out. You cant over tighten the housing either. I cant explain it but if felt right unlike the plastic where it felt weird and you didn't know how much force to apply. I can see why the old style filter was always over tightened by the dealer. It's possible that the plastic had too much complacence when it reached it's limit or was just a poor design.

I take no responsibility for any misfortune that may result from your install. I highly suggest that anyone attempting to do this upgrade to do their own research carefully before attempting to do so and know what they are doing.

Last edited by Devh; 09-30-15 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
L8Shift (02-14-22)
Old 09-30-15, 05:42 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Good work Dev, This may be on my list of upgrades in the future.
Old 09-30-15, 07:00 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Got a part number?
Old 09-30-15, 08:39 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Great post Dev.
Very informative and easy to follow.
Perhaps on my next oil change, I'll be looking into upgrading my filter housing as well.
Old 10-01-15, 09:05 AM
Devh
Racer

Thanks for the kind words as always.
I don't have a part number but it can be easily obtained from EBay. It is wise for anyone to do their bit of research to make sure this part is for you. My research has indicated that this is a universal part for all Toyotas however there might me multiple part numbers because of the perforated tube.
If we had a part number that was specific for the LS460 that would be great for those that don't want to take any risks.
Old 10-01-15, 09:15 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting. Thanks for posting and providing the pictures. I'll have a look at the condition of my plastic housing at the next oil change.
Old 10-01-15, 10:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I noticed that several of the listings on Ebay come with the three different tubes to swap out according to your specific vehicle.
Old 10-01-15, 10:27 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I noticed that several of the listings on Ebay come with the three different tubes to swap out according to your specific vehicle.
That's great!
So if I understand you correctly, certain housings automatically come with the 3 different inner tubes for swapability, in the event you need to change it out, as it appears Devh has, and we all would have to, due to us owning the 460, correct?
Old 10-01-15, 10:31 AM
Devh
Racer

Yes but if you want to buy one cheaper to save a few bucks you can swap out the one from your old filter.
I did not want to mention this because I don't want to take responsibility of recommending a part that I did not purchase.
Old 10-01-15, 10:37 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
Yes but if you want to buy one cheaper to save a few bucks you can swap out the one from your old filter.
I did not want to mention this because I don't want to take responsibility of recommending a part that I did not purchase.
Oh absolutely understood, but indeed it makes sense, especially if its not a wearable part.
Im learning as this thread goes, and I would do that if it were me.
I see it as no need to purchase something if what you already have works and can continue to be in service without any issues.
Old 10-01-15, 11:12 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Oh absolutely understood, but indeed it makes sense, especially if its not a wearable part.
Im learning as this thread goes, and I would do that if it were me.
I see it as no need to purchase something if what you already have works and can continue to be in service without any issues.
Because there is nothing definitive I have to be cautious. What if the springs are different, what if all the housings are slightly different. This is uncharted territory but one that I'm 98% sure there shouldn't be a problem
I'm careful of my words because of my experience in the past with people that are impulsive and not too bright. For the rest of us who are reasonable and rational it would not be a problem.
Old 10-07-15, 02:22 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
Default part number ?

on the web, seems any of the following toyota oil filter cap would fit, the only difference is the length of the center tube:
part number:
15620-31060 (aluminum; short tube for 6 cylinder engines)
15650-38020 (black plastic; OE for LS460)

and
Dorman 917-016 seem to work for LS460, it has many good reviews too.
Old 10-07-15, 04:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Just a little update. I have made several small trips and one two hundred mile round trip. I checked for leaks and the oil level is correct. I highly recommend the switch to this filter housing as it make oil changes an easy positive experience. It's just too bad I will not be changing my oil again for a very long time.
Old 10-07-15, 06:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Excellent job and you described the short comings of the plastic filter housing perfectly. I can't stand that thing.
Old 10-07-15, 06:40 PM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

Why do you all think Lexus did not use this metal filter housing in the 460/600?

Quick Reply: Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Upgrade